• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Not sure if this has been discussed before, and I don't recall seeing it before, so I figured I would ask.

In your opinion, what rear sight, specifically, or what sight set, in general terms, would you recommend for the purpose(s) of one handed slide manipulations? This would be for use on the 1911 platform.

The reason I ask is, when I was changing out the barrel on my Sig, it dawned on me just how much I really like the "claw" style of rear sight on the Sig P series, and that I don't ever recall seeing that style of rear sight on a 1911 and was kinda wondering if it could even be put on a 1911.
    ARJ Defense ad

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    I have a set of these. So said by Trijicon they ease one handed slide manipulation. I've never tried it, just bought them for the night sights.
    https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ca128o
    These are my favorite handgun sights (though only using large/small Glock variants, not 1911 version).

They absolutely support one-handed slide manipulation, and are the only rear-sights I've had which do-so reliably. Can be a little sharp if carried IWB (and a one-handed rack is gonna hurt if not done correctly), but worth the tradeoff.

Also, a little side benefit is if you have a small high-output flashlight, you can momentarily cup the front-sight with flashlight in-hand (~1-2 seconds) to "charge" the phosphorescent paint; with a little practice and a small light, you can do it without any significant leakage....

--This is a pic of a front HD sight (I find yellow easier to track than orange) about 45 seconds after giving it a <1s busrt from a small flashlight with hand cupped over:

b3f4fae821af23ddcc8d256b592bb114.jpg

Attachments

• b3f4fae821af23ddcc8d256b592bb114.jpg
      b3f4fae821af23ddcc8d256b592bb114.jpg
      4.7 KB · Views: 296

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I stand corrected. It appears that the P-938 and P-238 have the standard P series rear sights on them.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Not necessarily "looking for", it was just one o' those outta' the blue questions that occurred to me about the 1911 platform. When I was up at Sig Academy back in November, the use of the rear sight was pretty heavily stressed for those of us that only had one arm to use. Use that sight on whatever edge was available for use in a re-load, re-rack, whatever type, emergency that caused the gun to run dry. Whether that edge be a holster, a belt, a pocket, or hard edge on a wheelchair. Whatever was available. And it just came to me when I was changing that barrel out, that I don't often see 1911s with a rear sight on it for that emergency option and wondered if the Sig P series type "claw" sights were a usable/feasible option for the 1911.

And with that, if they weren't, what other options are out there for it. More curiosity than an actual plan.

Top Bottom