• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    This is my first 1911 and i'm not sure if the slide to frame fit is too loose or not. Is there anyone in the austin area that can look at it to see how she looks before I send it to Springfield?

Thanks,
    Brandon
    Capitol Armory ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Is the gun new? Honestly, slide to frame fit is one of those things I think people hype up a bit too much. Yeah, maybe it's a bigger deal for something being used for bullseye matches, but for the average handgun use personally I think it's not a big deal at all. My P220 has a fairly sloppy slide to frame fit (it's used of course and '94 manufacture), and the thing is still accurate as hell.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm sure it has some slop, but it's not going to make the gun inaccurate. There are more important things in a 1911 that create it's accuracy.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Can you describe what "loose" is to you?

Most current production 1911's, like Kimber, are very tight. Most buyer use them to shoot paper and carry and not go to battle every day. Tight should equate to more accurate which these same buyers equate to "better" guns as they can shoot an innocent piece of paper in nice tight groups. They loosen up with shooting.

Old Colt's used in the war were rattle traps because they "were" battle guns. They needed to be able to shoot after being dropped in the mud, dirt, dipped in fresh and salt water, rain etc. and not detail stripped and lubed with fancy oils after every 50 rounds. They might get lucky to get some old motor oil dumped on them every now and then. Accurate was if they could hit a target within pistol range well enough to deliver permanent wound cavities that would get the shooter one step closer to going home on their own 2 feet.

That gun today would more often get called a POS because a 1-2" group in paper at 3 - 7- 15 yards might not happen, even on a bench. 4-6" groups would be a good shoot.

Is the gun, not the shooter, accurate to your liking? If so, you probably don't have any problem. If you're match shooting you might want a tighter fit and accuracy enhanced. Just keep it clean, lubed and don't go swimming in mud holes after bad guys.

Otherwise, drop by a smith and let them look at it. Of course they'll be able to make it tighter, but do you really need it?

Happy shooting. Hopefully shooting paper is all you'll need!

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I here all these people that want almost zero tolerance slide to frame finish out of a 1911. I read an article once and the author said perfect fit 1911s will just bring malfunctions. A little play will be more reliable. A 1911 is not a sniper rifle.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I waited for more knowledgeable folks to answer first. In 1991 or so, I met a guy named Dixon. He was a national or world champion 1911 shooter, and a smith. He let me hold his championship 1911. It rattled like a tank. He said that's how they were intended to be so you could rely on them. This thing had a scope mounted too.
    Just for grins he polished some parts of my S&W 4506 and smoothed a couple of edges that would become bothersome after shooting a lot. He shook my gun, it rattled a bit, and he said "that's a good sound for a carry gun." Its just one more reason my 4506 is special to me.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A 1911 built for accuracy will be tight, but it will still glide smoothly. The Kimber syndrome is what gave alot of this "tight don't run" mentality. Kimbers are built to break-in and are sometimes so tight that the gun barely runs at all. They are accurate guns, but they are built overly tight in my opinion. Rarely do you get one that is smooth like what you find in a higher end 1911, which is understandable given the cost difference.

What you want in a 1911 is solid lug lock-up, a good barrel, and a good barrel bushing. The rest is a small percentage, but to some, it's worth the money.

bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    He said that ss does not like to slide against itself so they prefer a little more space in there. He said that carbon slides easier against itself and it can be tighter.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The Colt 1991 series is loose. It is the way they are and what affects accuracy on them is the barrel lock up. With the slide in battery, you should not be able to wiggle the barrel either at the rear or the front, although there may be a little play because the 1991 is built closer to mil spec than to bullseye spec. That said, it should be combat accurate right from the box.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    He said that ss does not like to slide against itself so they prefer a little more space in there. He said that carbon slides easier against itself and it can be tighter.

Does he know they should be lubricated?

It's true that SS is more prone to galling but not if lubricated. I'd never heard anyone say that gun with a SS frame and slide should be built with looser tolerances that carbon steel. Interesting....

Top Bottom