• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    1911 was having failures, such as the round jumping ahead the extractor, and the slide prematurely locking back with a loose round atop the follower.

He charged me to polish all moving metal to metal surfaces and adjusting the extractor, but upon detail stripping the gun, I saw that he did more than he charged me for.

A little background, John Dixon, who was an IPSC world champion back in the 90's (However, that world championship was protested by other big names such as Enos, as apparently it was too close to one that had happened not too earlier, however he is mentioned as an IPSC world champion in a picture caption in the Layne Simpsons 1911 book, I hear) was also a gunsmith in Pasadena, TX, east of Houston. I've heard his name mentioned on the Brian Enos forums forums now and then, but not much elsewhere other than one other forum. He had his own shop back in the day, but later closed down and retired. He still does this as a hobby nowadays. He has shown me some of the guns he built, and man oh man are they great. Tight frame to slide fit, great fitment and quality, they look excellent.

Anywho, upon disassembling the gun, I saw that he had also changed out the leaf spring for another one, tuned my magazines to work better with the gun, as the slide was prematurely locking back, added a recoil buffer, which I may or may not remove, and cleaned up and lightened the trigger pull. I changed out the grips and trigger body after the fact myself, which is why I have a long trigger and arched housing, instead of either straight housing and long trigger or an arched housing and long trigger.

The trigger used to be 5.5-6 lbs, but now it feels a tad bit lighter and cleaner. I don't have a trigger weight scale to measure it, unfortunately. He polished the hammer face to a shine, as the slide rides on it upon cycling, and polished up the inside of the slide and the exterior of the barrel as well. Gun feels way smoother now when working the slide. There was one blemish on the finish that wasn't there before, but I'll just cold blue it. I like a good worn out looking 1911 anywho.

All this plus test fire for $60 flat. He also quoted me $190 to install new sights, fit a beavertail, and fit a new hammer, that is parts AND labor total. He does this as a hobby now rather than a job, as he is retired, hence the low prices. He is quicker to advise you not to change parts rather than suggest what to change.

Here are some pics, which really don't matter, because as I said, most of the work is not exterior. Also, my camera sucks at taking pictures indoors in shitty lighting, so you'll have to excuse me.

I still have yet to test fire it, but I may go to the range after this coming exam on the 27th.

imag1470w.jpg

imag1480.jpg

imag1490l.jpg

imag1483z.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Nice pistol! Now shoot the living crap out of it and don't sell it. My main 1911 has the front strap finish worn off of it from contact with my fingers. You can clearly see the imprint of my fingers from years of shooting because I've shot that gun continuously since 1968. You got a good gun now let it become part of you. I've owned my Colt for so long that it's obviously going to outlive me. That becomes a real issue. Where will it go after I'm gone?

Flash

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    That's the plan! Keep it forever. I know it's nothing special to anyone else, but to me, it's MY 1911, first handgun ever to, haha.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Show offfffff pffffffffth not impressed(lol) grats now that is a keeper!!!
    Very impressive im getting one of my rocks back from ft hood(yeah baby)
    Is he still working on them i have 3 that needs that treament

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Right now im just outside of katy. One of my fave places to eat is the sealy truck stop!!
    All i need is a excuse!!!!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Does anyone know if John Dixon is still working on 1911's? I'd like to get an oversize EWG bushing fitted to a circa 1983, MkIV Series 80 Govt 45ACP. If not any other suggestions for a gunsmith local to Houston who knows 1911's would be appreciated. Don't know if I have enough posts to PM, But let me know and that can be rectified. Thanks.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Does anyone know if John Dixon is still working on 1911's? I'd like to get an oversize EWG bushing fitted to a circa 1983, MkIV Series 80 Govt 45ACP. If not any other suggestions for a gunsmith local to Houston who knows 1911's would be appreciated. Don't know if I have enough posts to PM, But let me know and that can be rectified. Thanks.

Yes he is. Saw him at a gun show a few weeks ago doing just that.

You can call him at 713.502.0800 (He is not on this board as he does not do computers)

Good Luck and let us know how it works out (just like Jakashh did).

Top Bottom