• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    About to buy another 1911 and was wondering your opinions on this scenario. You have $1500 to spend on any 1911 you can buy with that. Not $1500 plus tax but $1500 total. What do you get and why?
    Capitol Armory ad

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    I have a S&W 5" 1911 so I'd pick up a more compact platform for CCW. S&W, Kimber, possibly a Springfield EMP. I'd get a quality holster, some mags, and ammo to boot and come out under budget.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Springfield TRP or Loaded are pretty decent 1911's. Give a good look at the Dan Wessons. Those are some really nice pistols at very reasonable pricing. Fit and finish on the DW's rival custom brands costing twice the price.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    About to buy another 1911 and was wondering your opinions on this scenario. You have $1500 to spend on any 1911 you can buy with that. Not $1500 plus tax but $1500 total. What do you get and why?

I would get a Springfield GI (less than $500 and easier to find if you shop around), and then send it to the SA custom shop to have what *you* want done to it. That's what I did.

I spent $489 on the pistol, and then $500 on 3-dot Novak sights, the "defense package", a fitted match barrel bushing, and a lowered/flared ejection port. I qualified for my CHl with it, and it's a tack driver. Even with a couple of full-magazine rapid-fire sets (empty the mag in less than 7 seconds), I put all shots inside the 8-ring and 15 yards.

If I'd had the extra money, I would have also gotten a stainless single-piece barrel.

The logic behind the way I did it is that I start out with an inexpensive base model, and have the benefit of Springfield's gunsmiths performing custom work on that pistol and giving the whole thing an eyeball instead of relying on an assembly line Loaded or TRP model (which could exhibit problems even at the higher price tag).

I'm not a collector, and I don't really care much about resale value. I ended up with a no-frills custom pistol - exactly what I wanted - and I'd do it again the same way if given the opportunity.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    Thanks to all. I'll be making my final decision in about a month. I already have a kimber pro carry II and am looking foward to my next 1911. 1911's are like a disease that I dont see myself getting rid of anytime soon.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I would get a Springfield GI (less than $500 and easier to find if you shop around), and then send it to the SA custom shop to have what *you* want done to it. That's what I did.

I spent $489 on the pistol, and then $500 on 3-dot Novak sights, the "defense package", a fitted match barrel bushing, and a lowered/flared ejection port. I qualified for my CHl with it, and it's a tack driver. Even with a couple of full-magazine rapid-fire sets (empty the mag in less than 7 seconds), I put all shots inside the 8-ring and 15 yards.

If I'd had the extra money, I would have also gotten a stainless single-piece barrel.

The logic behind the way I did it is that I start out with an inexpensive base model, and have the benefit of Springfield's gunsmiths performing custom work on that pistol and giving the whole thing an eyeball instead of relying on an assembly line Loaded or TRP model (which could exhibit problems even at the higher price tag).

I'm not a collector, and I don't really care much about resale value. I ended up with a no-frills custom pistol - exactly what I wanted - and I'd do it again the same way if given the opportunity.

That is exactly what i am looking to do next. I really want another Springfield after selling my Ultra Compact V10 a couple years ago. If not I would like another STI for sure!!!!!

Top Bottom