• ...and so much more!
  • swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    IMG_1009 copy..jpg
    IMG_1007 copy..jpg

My stepdad bought this as is for $500 with tires that would not stay inflated. It was a old post office jeep that the previous owner turned into a hunting vehicle also.

It currently has some old Ford Focus tires on it so it is low to the ground and has hardly any traction in wet grass. It is really fun to drive around the back roads where my parents live and is pretty fun to get it stuck in the pasture even though you need earplugs since it is so noisy.

We plan on repainting it and doing some exterior work to it along with redoing the wiring and adding some off road lights to the top of it, Possible add some off road tires to it to give it a some height and so it can go through rougher stuff. This is mainly going to be a mess around in and hog hunting vehicle.

Anyone have some ideas that would be helpful?

A friend gave me the idea to paint it like a jeep from WWII

(Yes that is a 65 Mustang Fastback with a 302 built for drag racing on the left in the garage in the second picture. My future project car!)
    ARJ Defense ad

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Paint it MASH style!!!

Two inch lift, K&N air filter (so it can be reused and better performance) cheaper CD player with a USB input so you can use a flash drive, marine speakers or cheap indoor/outdoor ones, bedliner the interior including headliner, new exhaust (safety and noise reasons), maybe some new shocks from a 4wd Jeep...

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    MASH style would be sweet.

and bedlining the interior was something I thought about. Ill just have to see about what all I can do. going to start with the main things. Lights and Tires for now.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Is it a 2wd model? If it was me and I had the cash i would change out the body, swap in a 4wd setup and and and lol

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    It is the 2wd drive model, probably why it has the winch on the front. I really don't have any thing around my property that really demands 4wd except a small stream but I went through it a couple of times without any problems.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Paint it MASH style!!!

Two inch lift, K&N air filter (so it can be reused and better performance) cheaper CD player with a USB input so you can use a flash drive, marine speakers or cheap indoor/outdoor ones, bedliner the interior including headliner, new exhaust (safety and noise reasons), maybe some new shocks from a 4wd Jeep...

Don't do the K&N. You won't see any real performance gains, and they don't filter for shit.

I don't think that regular Jeep parts will fit this. Mail "jeeps" are quite different.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Jeeps make good hunting vehicles. I got a 72' cj5 4x4 with a amc 232 I-6. Didnt know that regular jeep parts wouldnt fit a mail jeep? Ill have to research that. Paint it mash style. I dont think you should put lots of money into it if its just a hunting vehicle. Definitely get better tires. If its a 69' then its still going to have that Dauntless 225 buick engine or it could have a chevy250 with a one barrel.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Don't do the K&N. You won't see any real performance gains, and they don't filter for shit.

I don't think that regular Jeep parts will fit this. Mail "jeeps" are quite different.

I figure the shocks might require some ingenuity... but with a small lift I don't see it as being too hard... I think it's called a DJ5 which should share some mounting points with a CJ...

The K&N was more for it being reusuable if it gets muddy often...

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    For parts, dont cut out the local junk yards. Though most people have had old mail jeeps crushed for scrap value (around $350). I've seen mail jeeps with all kinds of retro-fitted parts, even seen a anti-freeze jug temporarily converted into a radiator, didn't last long, but it got back to where it could be worked on.

Top Bottom