• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I don't think Im going to give Wal Mart my maiden voyage. Im not strange to the carry since I've car carried for a while. I've been using a Super Tuck to truck my Glock to and from my truck so I know how it all goes.

Who knows, might swing by. I need presents for the nieces and nephews. Gift cards HOO!
    lol

Wraith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    I guess carrying concealed isn't a big deal to me, I would open carry in North Carolina, you don't feel like people are looking at you when it's concealed after that. Really nobody looked at me when it was open carry.

akarfal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Johnson county
    CHL Carry

Never really heard much about first time Wally World walks or things like that; however, I don't take to heart everything I read on all the forums that I am a member of.

To make this short without going into Sea Stories. Get some formal defensive hand get training. Thunder Ranch has outstanding taining and Clint Smith has some outstanding CD's on CC. Check Guns Mag and there is a CD on CC for $49.99 by Clint Smith. thunderranchinc.com

When TR was in Texas, over the years, I took several of their courses and found out how much I didn't know.

" The more you learn about guns, the less likely you are going to get into a gun fight. " Clint Smith

Hope this helps................Al

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    how do you guys carry, that like me, wear properly fitting wranglers with a properly sized tucked in shirt? the only way for me would be crotch carry. especially since i refuse to wear an unbottoned shirt over the top like im a tourist in hawaii.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Either learn to dress for CHL...or don't carry. You could do a Kangaroo-style rig, but other than that, I usually go for whatever will cover the gun - that's my main concern.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Either learn to dress for CHL...or don't carry. You could do a Kangaroo-style rig, but other than that, I usually go for whatever will cover the gun - that's my main concern.

yeah, i dont think i will be carrying. if i do it will be that crotch holster like the smartcarry. otherwise all of my rigs are setup for open carry, including my shoulder holster. i wear suspenders as well, so....

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    The "wally walk" is not anything official.

It came about over the last few years simply because most towns have a Walmart and it's an easy to store to make an excuse to go to. It's easily accessible. You don't have to buy anything. You can buy something small. They are open a huge range of hours. No one cares (see peopleofwalmart.com).

My first conceal carry was the Walmart in Oak Harbor in Aug 2004, long before this Wally Walk became 'a thing'. I went around 1030am on a weekday simply because I could go there and get a few things to 'try out' my carry in the real world. I wore jeans, a tshirt and a fleece pullover.

It's a huge mental adjustment when a person starts carrying. It's one thing to walk around your house, its another to walk around in public. Society is so ingrained to believe guns are bad and gun in public are especially bad and signal trouble. Even us gun-lovers have a mental adjustment to make simply being conscious of a gun on our hip with the possibility that another person around could freak out and now you've got an MWAG. The nervousness and mindset becomes settled after you've been carrying a while.

No one says you have to go to Walmart. It just became so common place it has developed into a tradition you could say. That tradition has of course evolved and now encompasses some humor.

I did it back in '02 at the Decatur Walmart. Bought 6 boxes of 9mm but was carrying a 45.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    how do you guys carry, that like me, wear properly fitting wranglers with a properly sized tucked in shirt? the only way for me would be crotch carry. especially since i refuse to wear an unbottoned shirt over the top like im a tourist in hawaii.
    Pocket carry. I can easily carry a G26 in a jeans pocket. Or try a tuckable holster.

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen

Your not really giving yourself many options if you are wearing exact fitted clothing. I guess its a personal thing but it is your own perogative if dressing smartly is more important then carrying a weapon.

stefanovm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Georgetown
    I had to jump in as this thread is funny. A Wal-Mart is on the way to the range I use. Their ammo is priced very reasonably. Unfortunately I followed almost none of the posted rules. I work and it took until the weekend after my chl, 72 hours. I had also ordered a cc holster that did not arrive until about the same time as the chl. I waited for both before my first cc. My wife was with me. She is chl also, but not carrying. She has a conceal carry purse, but is still trying to get comfortable with it. We had nothing to eat, but to look at other things we did do a "round about" method. There were a lot of people. It did help me "start" to become less worried about my conceal effectiveness. I do still check a lot unless boot carrying my Kel-Tec PF9, not very often as it is only for when I am in my tuck in required clothing. I am waiting for a DeSantis SOF-TUCK Inside The Waistband Holster, which I am hoping will fix that.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    My Wally Worlds are in Brownwood and Stephenville and I feel about as safe in their parking lots in daylight as I do on my own front porch, after dark I may feel different..But you can bet your hat & hiney at a Wally World in Ft. Worth, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or ElPaso old "Sweet Lips" would be in my posession and on my body concealed..."They got zombies in those towns" !

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    At least take a pic of the current ammo prices and post them for the rest of us as part of the walk.... :-)

As for dressing to carry... Always. Longer shirts and waistband a bit bigger. Even if I'm not carrying I'm dressed to carry.

high_lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Denton County, TX
    I always dress the same whether I am carrying or not. I am a jeans and t shirt kind of guy, and mostly shorts when warm. I never tuck in my shirts as I am fat ass. I use a comp tac m-tac holster. I thinking of picking up a crossbreed for the XD9 SC.

Top Bottom