• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Mito, Japan/Georgetown, Texas
    I am coming back to the states next week, and have some money to spend on rifles. I want to round out the collection so that I can have most bases covered when it comes to hunting. Right now the collection consists of a .22 and a 7.62x39. I am looking at a .223 and a .308 because of the NATO part, but for the amount of shots it will probably make in the next five years (getting married to a Japanese girl in Japan), I don't know if cost of ammo should be replaced with appropriateness of the gun. I don't see myself having another chance to spend money on guns, at least in the near future, so I am asking what I should be looking at. Will be shooting in Texas, but would like to be able to humanely kill most things on this side of the world. Any suggestions are warranted, and will be considered. Probably the main animals would be deer and hogs.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    Are you looking at a bolt action or semi-auto? For semi-auto FN has a new rifle out called the FNAR in either Light or Heavy with either 10 or 20 round magazines. For .223/5.56 check out www.robarm.com they have a rifle that you can "change" out different calibers between .223/5.56, 7.62x39, 6.5(Grendal or Creedmoor?????), and 6.8 SPC. Main thing is that the rilfe is piston driven and not DI.

Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    What do you mean by DI? Can I buy both the 223 and 308 barrels for less than $2000? I am honestly on the wall with bolt or semi-auto. Like the accuracy of bolts, but like the speed of semi-autos.

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Dust,

I would purchase whatever you are most comfortable with shooting, and suits your needs/desires.
    If you are planning on hunting varmints, .223 will suffice. If you want deer, step up to the .308. You mentioned humane-
    a well placed .223 will take a deer, but a poorly placed shot with a .223 wouldn't be considered humane, in my opinion.
    I think the accuracy aspect is spare baggage to some extent, although there are varibles, again my opinion.

Let me give you a random example:
    I have $4000 to spend.
    I could buy that spiffy Accuracy International rifle that would put 10 bullets through the same hole at 100 yards.
    -OR-
    I can buy 2 AR's (or whatever) that will put 10 rounds through a hole the size of a dime at the same distance.

In my case, the correct route to go would be the 2 AR's.
    Why??
    Because my abilities will not likely allow me to put 10 bullets through the same hole, regardless of the gun I own.

I mentioned variables earlier. Am I going to be taking 750 yard shots (again, for the sake of this example)?
    I have no intentions of taking shots at that distance- again, no need for a rifle that is so accurate, in my case.

Here is an offer for you if you are still on the fence about semi-auto or bolt gun.
    When you get in Austin, I would be more than happy to let you shoot one or both of my AR's, if it will help with your decision.
    There are quite a few AR's that can be quite accurate if your abilities are up to it.
    I would only request a few bucks to help cover some ammo or range fees.
    If you are interested, email me and I will let you know how to get in touch with me.
    AR2.gif

Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Dust,

I would purchase whatever you are most comfortable with shooting, and suits your needs/desires.
    If you are planning on hunting varmints, .223 will suffice. If you want deer, step up to the .308. You mentioned humane-
    a well placed .223 will take a deer, but a poorly placed shot with a .223 wouldn't be considered humane, in my opinion.
    I think the accuracy aspect is spare baggage to some extent, although there are varibles, again my opinion.

Let me give you a random example:
    I have $4000 to spend.
    I could buy that spiffy Accuracy International rifle that would put 10 bullets through the same hole at 100 yards.
    -OR-
    I can buy 2 AR's (or whatever) that will put 10 rounds through a hole the size of a dime at the same distance.

In my case, the correct route to go would be the 2 AR's.
    Why??
    Because my abilities will not likely allow me to put 10 bullets through the same hole, regardless of the gun I own.

I would love to take you up on the offer, and your line of thinking is right in line with where I am. But, I can buy two .223 bolt guns with scope, stock, and bipod for the price of a DPMS Lo-pro. The same can definitely be said in the .308

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    I understand where you are coming from.

You have another thread going that I replied to, and I think I know where your head is at.
    I say go with a reasonably priced Savage/Rem 700 bolt gun in .308 for your bigger game and get a nice (possibly used) AR in .223 for your varmint hunts.
    Of course, this assumes you can actually find an AR right now and your budget permits purchase.
    If you aren't terribly concerned with the accuracy of a .223, a Mini14 might interest you and save you some coin at the same time.
    The Mini 14 is a good shooter but not exactly known for its pinpoint accuracy.

You could get a decent scope that you can swap between the 2 and you are golden. (Of course this is a lot trickier without the same rail platform)
    You probably noticed that only 1 of my AR's has a scope. I decided that I would rather have 1 top shelf scope than 2 moderately priced scopes, especially considering the ease of transfer between the rifles.
    I shoot heavy match ammo through 1 AR and shoot cheaper/lighter loads thru the other. When I am ready to shoot one or the other, I just use the quick detach ARMs mounts. Within 5 seconds and a couple clicks on the elevation knob, the other rifle is ready to go.

One thing I must tell you though- after shooting either of my AR's, you will probably decide that you won't want to be wandering around all day in the fields with it strapped to your shoulder. The 24" heavy barrel AR is not a light weapon by any stretch.
    I will send a response to your email in a few minutes, after I get my morning coffee.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom