• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    I'm on my first ever batch of .45ACP, I've followed the Hornady manual for the 230gr. FMJ, using the Hodgdon Clays powder, at the starting load level.

Question 1: The manual states a C.O.L. of 1.230 (I think, I'm typing this in from memory) for the loads, but from many other sources, I find that the C.O.L. of a cartridge loaded w/ 230gr FMJ should be 1.260 or 1.265. Indeed, when I measure some Speer factory ammunition, I get 1.265. Now, would the difference between my loads, and the factory ones, be purposeful in the Hornady manual, or is it possibly a misprint? Should I worry about 3/100ths of an inch?

Question 2: How does one go about aligning the bullet with the charged case? Do you guys use hand force to straighten it on top of the case before pulling the handle? or do you ease the case/ bullet up to the die, and then ram it home? On my first 10 attempts, 7 of them went smoothly, 2 of them were hard as hell, but went in, but the bullet got nicked by the die, and the last one, I crushed the wall of the case, ruining it. Is there a sure-fire way to seat the bullets every time?
    Hurley's Gold

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I can't comment on Question 1 as I do not load .45ACP. However, my Speer and Hornady manuals confirm your OAL values.

For question 2, how much bell did you put on the case before seating the bullet? A few thousands expansion of the case mouth lets the bullet get started and make seating much easier. I use Hornady dies and the seater has an inner sleeve to help maintain the bullet straight into the case. I see nicks on the bullet if I do not get the case set all the way back into the shell holder. Usually, I put slight pressure on the case to keep it all the way back in the holder as I move the handle down to seat the bullet.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Go back and look at your manual again - sounds like you may have misread, or else are looking at JHP specs.

On the other, it sounds to me like you're not getting the cartridge lip expanded quite enough - try a bit more on it, because it should open enough to readily accept the bullet.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Sounds like your case mouth expansion is inconsistent. Might be varying case lengths, might just not be adjusted down far enough to slightly flair the case mouth. I'm not gonna lose sleep over .03 inches on cartrdige length.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Q1: Manuals almost exclusively list MINIMUM C.O.L.s for cartridges loaded to MAX charges. When your not loading to maximum you will find that the "functional" C.O.L. will vary from as low as 1.185" to as long as 1.270"(45ACP). It all depends on the gun that you are loading for. Dont' get too hung up on these #s, even quality bullets can seat .005 or .0010 differently in height without changing die settings.

Q2: You may need to adjust your expander die a bit and/or use a chamfer/deburring tool to cut a tiny bevel on the inside of your case mouths. This will make all bullets seat easier anyways, so it's worth having. This problem is also prevalent when using new un-prepped factory brass(e.g. not sized,chamfered,expanded,etc.) You should only have use gentle hand pressure to hold/guide the bullet into the case mouth as you work your press. "Ramming it home" so to speak is truly a recipe for disaster. If resistance is not smooth and even, something ain't right.

Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    I Agree with TexMex, My Lee manual lists Min COL as 1.190 for that load and a Max COL of 1.275. It is well known that the books tend to very some on data from max charges to COL lengths.

Oh and +500 for TexMex, he is 100% right on "You should only have use gentle hand pressure to hold/guide the bullet into the case mouth as you work your press. "Ramming it home" so to speak is truly a recipe for disaster. If resistance is not smooth and even, something ain't right." I think it needs to be restated ;)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Time to fess up then. I thought the die w/ the depriming pin was the first one to use, then the resizing die. Well, I know now that I'm supposed to RESIZE first, then use the one w/ the depriming pin, because it also expands the case mouth. So, I went back, removed the pin, and expanded all my cases now. So everything should work now, methinks.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    What dies do you use that DON'T de-prime while resizing? I use Dillon, RCBS, Lyman and Lee dies and they all have the de-capping pin located on the sizing die. A slight bell to the mouth is usually sufficient for jacketed bullets. A generous bell works well for cast bullets to prevent lead shaving.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    if you are taking your dies apart to use them, you are probably doing something wrong.

Only been loading for a year or so. . . . but. . .

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Okay....I guess I'm gonna go pull 10k rounds...because my Dillon resizes/deprimes in one step, then the case expander is the same step as the powder drop. Wait'll I call Dillon an' tell 'em they're doin' it wrong!!!!<SEG>

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    And I thought my RCBS dies did the same, but instead, they're set up like so:

1. Sizer die - has nothing running through the middle
    2. Expander die - has the thingamabob screwed into the middle, and at the bottom of it, there's the depriming pin.
    3. Bullet seating die - has the thingamabob screwed into the middle of it, for seating bullets
    4. Taper crimp die - nothing running through it.

Does that sound right? I bought them from a guy over the interweb, and all the stuff I bought him was in good condition.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Different mfr's run 'em different ways, which is why I always specifiy what I'm using....that could be right for them - someone that actually uses 'em could tell you for sure.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso

2. Expander die - has the thingamabob screwed into the middle, and at the bottom of it, there's the depriming pin.
    3. Bullet seating die - has the thingamabob screwed into the middle of it, for seating bullets

Does that sound right? I bought them from a guy over the interweb, and all the stuff I bought him was in good condition.

Get with the manufacturer of the dies and see what they say. You can probably find set up info on the web. I am like everyone else, decap and resize all in one/first step. You might have your dies mixed up some way.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio

Older die set. I've got some 25 year old RCBS handgun dies that are that way. I don't particularly like them.

Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    I have a new set of RCBS S&W .40 dies

They run

1. Sizer De-Primer die
    2. Expander die
    3. Bullet seating die

Same as my Lee dies but that dont mean they have always been the same.

RogerEMT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Bomb, call me tonight, I will show you everything. If you have a camera on your computer I will show you EVERYTHING step by step. Something doesn't sound right, and I agree with all of these guys. 817-448-7683.

JesseCJC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think he may be confused on the terminology. What seems to be his "sizer" could just be the case belling die/expander. Unless... he got some REALLY old dies.

I load all of my 230gr bullets @ 1.230 be it RN or JHP for what it's worth and have no issues in several thousand loads.

Top Bottom