• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, so after walking 2 miles in the dark with a no service cell phone and a 19x, I told the wife we should invest in some good 2-ways. I have a couple cheaper sets that the kids beat the hell outta.

I don't need much range about 4miles. Problem is terrain is very undulating. I was only 2 miles from house in the creek and the cheap radio got me nothing.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I prefer ya'lls knowledge opposed to reviews.
    Military Camp

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Going to be tough to find radios to fill the bill that don't require licensing......

A couple of shows on the tube have people using them miles away from each other and as most things on tv...not the way it is in the real world....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Unless there had been some recent and major advancements, I don’t think any of them will help you without line of site or a repeater on a hill with LoS to both radios.

Dirt between you and the other radio is going to absorb most signals, especially anything in the ghz band, 1.2, 2.4, 5.8. All things equal, a lower frequency will travel further. But it’s still not gonna transmit through hills of dirt/rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I know it's way over kill, but a sat phone will do what you want.......My son called me on his phone from from a fishing boat off the coast of Belize last month......

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Ive heard good things about the Rhinos from Garmin.
    They also have GPS tracking.

Pinpoint Your Position
    With its high-sensitivity dual GPS/GLONASS receiver and quad helix antenna, Rino 700 quickly finds your position and maintains it — even in heavy cover, deep canyons or remote, off-the-grid locations. The device includes a worldwide basemap plus comprehensive navigation and tracking features to help guide you on or off the beaten path.
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/search/?query=rhino

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    OK, so after walking 2 miles in the dark with a no service cell phone and a 19x, I told the wife we should invest in some good 2-ways. I have a couple cheaper sets that the kids beat the hell outta.

I don't need much range about 4miles. Problem is terrain is very undulating. I was only 2 miles from house in the creek and the cheap radio got me nothing.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I prefer ya'lls knowledge opposed to reviews.

I was wondering about this.....

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    OK... so let me ask ya this. Would a repeater need much power? Would solar be enough? Or small wind generator.

ETA: look at a SPOT Gen 3 or similar such as Garmin InReach. Cheaper and easier. https://www.satphonestore.com/solutions/exploration/hiking/personal-tracking.html

You are looking for a GMRS repeater capable handheld radio. You need one, wife needs one, and a tower needs one. That tower could be a flagpole if it’s high enough. The key to tower height is line of sight from your most obstructed location. Alternatively, you could remote an antenna on top of the tower and power the radio (handheld or base) by battery or AC at the bottom of the tower, but there could be line loss between the antenna and radio.

Most are rechargeable batteries and there are some solar recharge options.

I believe you will need an FCC GMRS license.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Would it help to have a "base station" antenna at home?
    What about portable CB radio?

ETA: Looks like I was Ninja'd, kinda.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

FireInTheWire,

I would suggest that you & your wife get licensed as TECHNICIAN CLASS Ham Operators.
    (The test is so easy that we've had 8YO children pass the test. - The test & license from the FCC is free.)

Then buy yourself a pair of quality TWO METER handheld radios & you should be FINE.
    (IMO, the BEST 2-Meter radios are CONVERTED Industrial radios. - I have 3 MOTOROLA handhelds, that I paid 50.oo each for, that are 3 decades old & "you can't kill 'em".)

GMRS is also OK, provided that there is at least one GOOD repeater in your area. - GMRS requires NO test but you must be licensed & pay a fee to the FCC for the license.
    (IF you decide on GMRS, make sure to buy commercial/industrial quality radios. - NONE of the "cheap" radios that you see at the discount stores are more than toys, imvho.)

Note: IF you want essentially "private communication" with your wife & there is a good 222MHZ repeater in your area, you will find that you will have "little or no company".
    (My lady & I are "On the 223.820 & 224.380 machines" & we seldom even hear anyone else on those 2 local repeaters.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm sure a metal home doesn't help with the signal either.

It doesn’t. That’s part of what the Spot or similar will overcome. The other part is you’re not tied to your repeater location. If you can see the sky, it works.

And it’s voiceless, so you don’t have to deal with the person on the other end reminding you about your predicament. You also have the option to go straight to a 911 service provider with you specific coordinates.

Top Bottom