• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I had been using this upper with a different scope for a while on my 300blk lower but once I got the 300blk coated by Jim in FDE it looked retarded plus I really like the PRS for precision shooting(surprise) and I also wanted to try the geissele national match trigger. Im very happy with the way it all turned out and the upper was a shooter before so Im sure itll only get better now.

I cant even begin to describe how awesome the geissele NM trigger is. Ive got the geissele SSA-E, SD3G and SD-C, the NM is even better. For a bench gun I don't see how there could be a better trigger. It took about an hour to install and set up as to my liking but once it was set it is just sweet. THe first stage feels like any other geissele pretty much but the second stage is so clean and light I cant wait to fire off some rounds. The main use for this rifle will be shooting 77gr loads on out a ways while Im letting the 308 and 300WM cool off as well as clearing prairie dog towns when we go to new mexico elk hunting.

Lower:
    Northtech Defense billet lower
    BAD EPS take down pins
    BAD ASS safety
    Geissele National Match with match spring
    Magpul MIAD
    Magpul PRS with standard rifle buffer and accushot monopod

Upper:
    Vltor MUR upper
    White Oak Armament 20" fluted SDM 7twist rifle gas with factory headspaced bolt
    Fortis RED brake(no recoil at all)
    Vltor SS gas block
    Rainier Arms carrier
    Noveske NSR 16.7"
    Noveske TRX sling tud mount for bipod
    Harris 6-9" bipod
    Bobro 30mm slightly forward scope mount
    SWFA 3-15x42 FFP mil quad reticle

20131121_214538_zpsebbb2210.jpg

20131121_214547_zps639436fd.jpg

I really like how the flutes look through the handguard
    20131121_214607_zps44fe1ee3.jpg

Highly recommend this brake and it makes a really cool flame in the dark
    20131121_214639_zpsbf93d45b.jpg

Anodizing doesn't really match but whatda you gonna do?
    20131121_214814_zps0b7f9e88.jpg

Id like to get some good iron sights to practice my long range irons shooting eventually, just undecided on which way to go. Id like a set of KACs but not at 350 for a set.

The only other thing I may do is switch to a JP low mass setup but thatll be on down the road since itll be another 400 bucks to do that.
    ARJ Defense ad

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Nice, I'm definitely leaning towards getting the Geissele NM trigger for my 24" bull barreled AR, anyways great looking rifle.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The NM is worth ever dollar of its 280 dollar price tag. It flat out works awesome. Its on par with the jewels and hubers I've tried.

The gas block is not adjustable. Its just a standard stainless gas block. Thats why I say itll be a chunk of change to swap to the low mass setup and at this time isnt worth it to me. Id rather buy a couple more suppressors and a bushnell ERS. Maybe after that I'll tinker some more with this one but I'm pretty sure I'll be happy the way it is. Tje rifle gas and buffer really shoot soft along with the weight of the rifle and the brake.

SOliver

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Spring
    Pretty similar to my precision 20" AR and I used that same WOA barrel. It's an absolute tack driver. Very nice build though.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Besides the obvious functional excellence of that build, the MUR upper's lines work really well with the billet lower. Serious eye candy.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Pretty similar to my precision 20" AR and I used that same WOA barrel. It's an absolute tack driver. Very nice build though.
    I haven't given it a fair shake yet to really evaluate its accuracy but initial testing has been well under an inch with 23.8gr of varget under a 77gr smk. Im going to switch to the 77gr nosler custom competitions though so hopefully that load still works well with the new pills.
    Besides the obvious functional excellence of that build, the MUR upper's lines work really well with the billet lower. Serious eye candy.
    Yeah I was pleasantly surprised how well they matched up. The anodizing matches better than the pictures show. For some reason the MUR looks really blue but its not. Definitely doesn't match, but not that bad.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Time to step up my game a bit more. PRI makes a mag that reportedly allows a 2.3 COL which is huge over the standard 2.24ish that pmags allow. I believe with this mag I may be able to load a 75gr amax which at a .435 BC and 2gr lighter than the 77gr SMKs and 77gr nosler CCs this could make for a hell of combination out of a lowly 223 rifle. I plan to seat them as long as I can and pump them up as much as possible with some XBR as I don't think Ill have the case volume for using my usual varget load. With 23.8gr of varget my 77gr load is already pretty dang full and the amax has a lot longer boat tail. Also bought a box of these
    Berger Target Bullets 22 Cal (224 Diameter) 80.5 Grain Fullbore Hollow
    People have reported great results with these at a little over book max COL and if this new mag allows an honest 2.3 then atleast the bergers will be money for long range work.

The mag I ordered is pretty spendy at 50 bucks shipped with the 15% off code but if it all works out itll be worth it
    https://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186788&CAT=4294
    The thread I got the idea from
    75gr A-Max to mag length?

Taking it out to the range to finalize my 77gr load and run them over the magentospeed to true my ballistics app Sunday. Hoping to have this gun, my 308 and the 300WM ready for best of the west 1000yd outing in January after deer season.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    That is a very nice looking build! I'm thinking about eventually getting into long-range AR's and am looking hard at the DPMS REPR. Whats the ballpark cost of building your own precision rifle?

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    Whats the ballpark cost of building your own precision rifle?

How much are you willing to spend? Every piece has a part to play. This is the type of rifle that every piece has been meticulously thought out. Precision shooting is not cheap, especially when you add the cost of match ammo or hand loads.

To answer your question though, for .223 I estimate about $2000 before optics or a mount.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Big Phil is pretty darn close. Ive got about 2200 into the gun and 850 into tje mount and scope. You can definitely go cheaper and probably get close to the same results. None of the parts I went with are mandatory. It all started with me having a PRS stock and the MUR receiver laying around. Im still not happy with the performance but I think with a bit more load development it'll get better. Had a scope issue at the range Sunday but I've got that lined out and hope to verify Sunday if its not raining and high wind.

For a precision AR build the mandatory parts for me are the PRS srock because I've got long monkey arms so my LOP is pretry long, the geissele national match trigger is just awesome, and a 20" barrel so you can sling the 77gr bullets fast enough to benefit from them. Handloading is damn near going to be damn near mandatory to eek ouy all the performance you can.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Its not that shiny...
    20131002_171639_zps00e52426.jpg

Mine looks like its just the raw finish since it has the same finish as in the flutes.

After the last range trip I decided I wanted to be able to run my can on this gun as well. Just got too used to how quiet the 300BLK is and my buddy was getting tired of being blasted. The fortis RED works awesome, I really love it but since Ive got the option to runt he can it only makes sense. The RED is for sale for 50 shipped if someone is interested. If I didn't have a can and wanted maximum recoil reduction this is the muzzle device Id go with for sure.

The YHM mount isn't nearly as sexy :(
    2013-12-05182156_zps0c6b3616.jpg

Its a long ass AR now
    2013-12-05182522_zpsf3508ea2.jpg

In testing this weekend I found that the accuracy wasn't very good at all IMO, hovering around 1moa. I know this isn't a bolt gun but I expect a lot more out of this thing, especially for the money Ive got dumped in it. Towards the end of the range session I noticed my scope had moved in the rings. Apparently when mounting it I got sidetracked and never final tq'd the rings. So I got that fixed, I also noticed while putting the new brake on that the sling stud swivel that my bipod is mounted to touches the gas block when any pressure at all is put on the rail. I believe this may be the explanation for the random flyer or two Id get on each 5 shot group. It really puzzled me because I had the chrono on and my SDs were looking great. So I moved the stud up one keymod then noticed the finish looked kinda dingy behind the gas block. Upon further inspection it seems the gas block is leaking somehow. I doubt this affects accuracy any but is annoying none the less. I doubt Ill get around to fixing that before I head to the range again Sunday but needs to be addressed.
    2013-12-05183503_zps59a1bd92.jpg

I feel like Im making a little progress and Im glad to have found a few issues that might have caused some of my accuracy problems. I was getting pretty agitated at results after all this work and money. Loading up another 200 rounds of 77gr nosler custom competitions over 23.8gr of varget again and see what happens. My PRI mag should be here tomorrow but I don't know if Ill get around to making the 75gr amax loads in time. If we get the bad weather tomorrow like we are talking about Ill be rained out from work and will head out to the deer lease but if I have to work Ill stay here and work on loads for Sunday. Forecast shows winds of 4mph so it should be an awesome day for shooting groups if that's true.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Progress has been stalled on this build as Ive been busy playing with my 308 and 300WM. Finally got the loads dialed in for them where Im happy so now Im revisiting this. The 75gr Amax has been on the suspended list from Hornady since the great ammo scare so that also put a halt to any development as Im pretty happy with my 77gr load. The 75gr Amax has a much better BC than the 77s and in conjunction with the PRIs long COL should allow for a good load. I was recently able to find 1100 over them to add to the 100 Ive had for a while so now I can proceed.

Ought to keep me busy for a while
    20140419_141718_zps0ogw8kqp.jpg

Theres a huge difference in the ogive between the 77gr SMK and the 75gr Amax and longer boat tail which is obviously where the much higher BC comes from
    20140419_141701_zps0k9lef5q.jpg

PRI mag vs 10rd magpul. The gain in COL is because the seam of the mag is butt welded together instead of overlapping the two sides at the front of the mag. Since the OD dimensions have to stay the same to fit in the magwell obviously this takes away from the ID which in turns shortens COL.
    20140419_143420_zpstbkh1aqu.jpg

This will probably be a short lived foray though as Black Hole Weaponry just came out with this cartridge(first in the line)
    68FAMILY222425656830_zps83fa3fed.jpg

6.8 SPC case necked down to 22 cal. Slings 75gr Amaxs out of a 24" barrel at 3200fps and 50gr pills at 3800fps. So pretty much a 22-250 in an AR. Pretty insane to run right along the 6mm hot rods with a little fella.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom