• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    I have a 2000 Disco II that needs a little work. A head gasket to be exact.
    Was the wife's daily driver until this past weekend. She told me I need to look at in because she noticed it smoking. Well I started it up and knew right away that its time for a head gasket.:banghead: I'm not fixing it! I was going to wait to look for a new''''er car for her, but oh well. Its a good loaded out 4x4 with new tires and a hell of a front bumper. 108,000 miles, Bonati Gray with tan leather. I'm not trying to pass off a lemon onto someone else, it really has been a decent truck. It makes a great camping vehicle and lease vehicle. We took it camping many times last year and its been to Montana twice in the snow. Its a no rust Texas truck as I give it a good bath when it comes back from the North. I hate to get rid of her but its time for something a little newer and more fuel efficient.
    Hurley's Gold

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    Roverparts.com sells the full upper gasket kit with new head bolts for 200.00. AllData says its a 9.8 hour job if you take it to a shop. I thought of just doing it... But I don't want to take the time to. I'm getting old and lazy.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Any mechs out there know what it costs to repair the head gasket?
    Oh yes. I round numbers $4,600.00 and it will, happen again in 45 - 65k miles if a cylinder liner doesn't drop before then and the dam engine has to be replaced.
    If you want exact number all necessary part numbers I'll be glad to show the last claim on one I bought about 2 weeks ago.
    Sorry folks but Rovers are crap and the Discovery was the worst.
    Now the up side is they are dam nice rides, but mechanically over engineered.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Roverparts.com sells the full upper gasket kit with new head bolts for 200.00. AllData says its a 9.8 hour job if you take it to a shop. I thought of just doing it... But I don't want to take the time to. I'm getting old and lazy.
    Trust me that gasket kit ain't all the gaskets needed.
    Until the heads are off there's no guarantee that a liner has not dropped.
    Trust me. 24 years of dealing with Rover repairs I know.
    I've seen so many that end up in the dealer because someone not familiar with Rover tried to fix it.
    I not trying to say some of y'all are not qualified but it's not cheap and there more to it than a small block Chevy or Ford.

Auction is the best way to unload one.
    You will get about what your asking and no one gets hurt.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    Ive built motors my whole life. From Cummins to the 3 small blocks I had in '55 Belair. $4600 sounds like a quote from Land Rover themselves!!! The liners are fine. It didn't overheat and it only started smoking for a day. I parked it and wont drive it because it can overheat a single cylinder causing it to drop a sleeve. LR dealer in Frisco did the tune up at 98,000, changed the head gaskets, adjusted the valves and whatever else you get with the 100,000 mile tune up. I'm sure some expert mechanic put the head gasket on wrong or just a faulty gasket... It happens. There's not that much difference in the LR motor than a Buick 215. I hear it all the time how hard they are to work on. I'm here to tell you, I kept 2 on the road past 100,000. One went to 192,000 before my brother finished it off. The shop around the corner from me quoted 900.00 if I bought the kit. I can buy another one for 5500.00 all day long.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I do pay full retail as a mechanical repair adjuster for various insurance underwriters..
    I hold all the necessary certificates to prove my qualifications into the cost and pitfalls of this repair.
    You can find shops that do it for less than a dealer but my experience says go to a Rover dealer, use Rover parts and cross your fingers the tech working on your car didn't just come over for Nissan or Chevy.
    Cheap is as cheap does - fails prematurely.
    I've been in the auto repair industry my entire adult life and I'm dam near 50 now so I've been around the blocks a few times.
    Well like the man once said 'There's a fool born every minute" you need to find that fool.

sean_bart1 I'm not trying to piss in your Wheaties here and I'm sorry If I offended you, but I know what I talking about.
    I do wish you the best in moving this vehicle.

Cylinder Head Gasket Replace Right Bank B 5.3 7.3 Notes Includes: Clean Carbon And All Necessary Adjustments. Left Bank B 5.6 8.0 Notes Includes: Clean Carbon And All Necessary Adjustments. Both Banks B 6.7 9.8 Notes Includes: Clean Carbon And All Necessary Adjustments. NOTE With Secondary Air Injection, Add B 0.0 2.0 Notes
    Does not include clearing diagnostic trouble codes, re-set PCM parameters - Specialized tools required!!!! And Auto Zone ain't gotem!

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    Oh you didn't offend me. I'm just saying I learned my lesson more that once about taking a vehicle to the dealer after the warranty is up. Ive been screwed 1 too many times by a dealer, only to hear sorry but that's not covered. I have AllData, a Snap on verus, EFI live, and a couple other laptop ODBII programs. I can fix it. I'm just aggravated with it. A LR dealer had it less than 10,000 miles ago and now it sits. So much for going to a dealer.... Thats what I get for buying a Ford product! By the way... If you want good service buy a BMW.

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I too have had bad experiences with Land Rovers
    I don't own one but I work as an adjuster doing mechanical claims
    LR are expensive to repair (I mostly deal with dealerships) and has high failure rate
    (especially leaks)
    we have a joke in the office about Land Rovers....
    you know why LR doesn't make color TVs?
    they haven't figured out how to make them leak oil
    lol
    just my 2 cents

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    I too have had bad experiences with Land Rovers
    I don't own one but I work as an adjuster doing mechanical claims
    LR are expensive to repair (I mostly deal with dealerships) and has high failure rate
    (especially leaks)
    we have a joke in the office about Land Rovers....
    you know why LR doesn't make color TVs?
    they haven't figured out how to make them leak oil
    lol
    just my 2 cents

Yeah they have a bad rep for sure! Ive had good luck with them but Ive done my own maintenance. I've always said if it ain't leaking it must be empty... Hell every vehicle Ive ever owed has had a leak of some kind.

Top Bottom