• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Yea, I could surf the web, but I tend to trust many of y'all to unknown yahoos.

226K miles

Changing the water pump before the bearing goes out completely and it leaves me stranded going to/from Hicksville.

Right now my only question is it particularly difficult or any special trick to purging the air during refill?
    ARJ Defense ad

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Nope, nothing fancy about the cooling system on these. Pull the fan and belt, and six 10mm head bolts later it's in your hands. Easiest replacement ever. Get new gaskets, the rubber will probably stick to the block when you pull it off, but there's no cleaning old sealant and no new goop required either.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Once you get it back on, wear gloves and squeeze the upper radiator hose where it turns to go into the neck of the pump. This will help burp the air bubbles out of the system. You need a big crescent wrench to knock the clutch fan off. Leave the belt on while you remove the fan. Everything is pretty straight forward and easy. If the hoses are stubborn to get off, take a big set of pliers and grab the hose and twist, itll break the "lock" that rubber gets after being seated on metal for a long time.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Once you get it back on, wear gloves and squeeze the upper radiator hose where it turns to go into the neck of the pump. This will help burp the air bubbles out of the system. You need a big crescent wrench to knock the clutch fan off. Leave the belt on while you remove the fan. Everything is pretty straight forward and easy. If the hoses are stubborn to get off, take a big set of pliers and grab the hose and twist, itll break the "lock" that rubber gets after being seated on metal for a long time.
    or better yet, replace the hoses if they are the original

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Do the trucks have a vent line running from the cooling cross-over line to the radiator just below the filler neck?

If so, there should be a solid stream of water flowing. Remove the cap (when cold) let the thermostat open and watch for the stream. If there are bubbles or worse yet steam, you have air trapped in the top end.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I just went through that ^^ exercise Mitch. A few bubbles at the beginning but cleared up quickly so I think it's good.

Fixin' to run it 100 miles or so with trailer. If I have a problem will you come get me ;)

Last edited:

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    I just went through that ^^ exercise Mitch. A few bubbles at the beginning but cleared up quickly so I think it's good.

Fixin' to run it 100 miles or so with trailer. If I have a problem will you come get me ;)
    any air will get to the overfill tank, just keep checking that and keep it filled and you shouldn't have any problems

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Can't count how many times folks have reversed the crossover vent line with the overflow line on the radiator on Camaros and Trans Ams.

Top Bottom