• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    Hey guys, long time no talk.. Well I moved to AK but you guys are still my go to for gun talk.
    Ive got an offer to trade one of my rifles for a Colt series 70 from 2003.

I dont know much about it.. he's offering me the pistol 2 mags full of ammo, a box of target ammo and $200 for a kit I valued at 1400.
    what do you guys think? keep in mind I'm not a collector, I'm a user. If I take this trade I intend to use it and maybe customize it. Is it a sin to customize this gun?

Here is what he told me about it; "its a 2003 I got it from my dad he won it at a gun show brand new and never used it stayed in the box till it came to me about 6 months ago ive put 3 mags through it im more of a rifle guy. Like I said before sometimes it goes with me but most of the time it stays home."

received_m_mid_1382247589363_5f8bc2fedead06da75_0.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    My $0.02:

The Colt is realistically worth $1,000, maybe a little more for the condition. If it was a Gold Cup or TALO, I would say trade immediately. Plain Jane series 70, not so much.

But it's a Colt 1911, so it is going to hold value. There is value in the name.
    And you're getting $200 in the trade.

The rifle in trade-valued at $1,400: Is it a rifle you value, or is it one you can get rid of/replace easily? Was it worth $1,400 six months ago? Look at gun broker and see what that rifle is actually selling for now.

Imagine yourself five years from now. Which would you be prouder to own: the rifle or the Colt?

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I read your post differently. Looked to me like you value the rifle at $1400 and he's offering a pistol (which I think is a bit less than the $1K) plus $50 worth of ammo and $200 cash. That would put you on the losing side of the trade.

True, Colts hold their value and 70's are much preferred over the 80's. But that's a plain-jane Colt and I'm willing to bet that it will become a kit-gun where you keep adding parts to make it work right. (1st up, beavertail.)

I agree with the others that you need to consider which is going to be the long-term value, but don't lose money in the transaction.

One last thing: If the rifle is gathering dust and the pistol will be used, that would make me lean towards the deal. Don't know about you but I don't have the luxury of owning many safe queens.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'd do it even though I don't need another 1911! What kind of "kit" are you referring to?

Customize it? It's your gun. Put turn signals on it if you want to. If someone else doesn't like that......... well...........you know.

As to value. I've said many times that this is something that I do for fun. I don't worry a lot about a trade or if it's cost effective. If you're trading something that you DON'T want for something that you DO want, that's a good deal! There are limits to that. I'm not going to take a pack of Wrigley's gum for a 1911 but if the value is in the same neighborhood, I'll trade.

Flash

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    You valued your "kit" at $1400, but never said what that "kit" was.

The Colt should be good for $750. The ammo for $25. Plus $200 cash, or $975.

Looks like a delta of $425 in his favor.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    Hey guys, Thanks for the input.. My kit is a Stag 6.8 spc with a magpul stock and grip, lower is an Aero Precision, houge free float, 5x25 and 1x10 round mags, EOTech 512, 120 rounds of factory ammo, and a cheapo case and magnifier.

Roger.. I also do it for the fun, and because sometimes I get bored with stuff and want something different. I wasn't always that way, used to try to get a deal or come out on top every time.

Told the guy I'd have to pass on the deal, not really my kinda firearm anyway. I did an another offer from another fellow for a Magpul Remington 870 plus cash.. Same guy also had a colt series 80 that he customized offered a straight across deal or an old HK USP in 40 s&w. Im leaning towards the 870 cause I sold my mossberg and I'm not to thrilled about the work he did to his 1911. I have an AR that is near and dear to me and Im not too attached to the 6.8. I'd like to take the extra cash and put it towards another project like an AR Pistol.. sig516 pistol..

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Meh....that Colt is worth 'bout $800, tops. If offered to me, I'd give no more than $700. So for me, it'd be "pass". I don't buy stories - bottom line, it's a used Colt. Yeah, they hold their value - but you're starting behind the curve, so you'll have to hold it longer to even get back where ya started.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The series 70 is from the Colt Custom Shop and is probably better than an off the shelf GC or talo offering. Check out the MSRP on an new Series 70 and go from there.

Top Bottom