Join TexasGunTalk

2013 Gun Rights Policy Conference in Houston

Discussion in 'Activism' started by benenglish, Sep 27, 2013.

1. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The 2013 GRPC, co-sponsored by the Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, kicked off in Houston this evening with an evening reception.

banner_zps16c3cc3a.jpg

Basically, tonite was just a social function.

theroom2_zps62bdd623.jpg

However, don't let that bar in the back fool you into thinking you could actually get a premium cocktail when you paid $10 for a "premium cocktail" ticket. I took mine to the bar and asked for a sidecar. The response I got, as clear as I can quote it, was "Huh? What's that?" I gave my ticket away.

theroom1_zps3a5ff181.jpg

Thankfully, the opening remarks lasted all of 30 seconds.

speaker1_zpsced71bdf.jpg

Then Alan Gottlieb got up and took a whole 5 seconds to introduce Shara Fryer, a long-time local "name". God bless her media-savvy little heart, she was able to give a 30 second speech and still manage to shove in two commercial endorsements and a plug for her own career. ;)

Fryer_zps90e47d72.jpg

Many thanks to Genie and Stan Jennings of Maine, long-time activists and supporters of this conference, for making me feel extra-welcome in my own town.

The real work starts tomorrow and I'll try to have many more (and more useful) pictures as the conference progresses.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Now there's a thread for pics.

see you tomorrow

3. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Alice Tripp just spoke. Best quote. We must be effective.

4. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    One of the few re pubs from HA is speaking, Talked about being involved in pro gun rights candidates election campaigns.

5. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Make that HI.

Frank from NJ speaking about NJ carry permits. Mentioned Akin, sentenced to 7 yrs for unlicensed carry while moving from NJ to CO. Discussed how desperate they are to enact new laws,

6. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Florida as a laboratory for gun right laws. I.e. Stand your ground laws. Discussing efforts to roll back stand your ground laws in the legislature. Defensive v offensive legislative posture. Pre-filing pro self defense and pro 2nd amendment bills. Legislator. "when it comes to SYG law we are not going to change one comma". They will change self defense laws to push back activist judges who are convicting people of aggravated assault when they brandish firearm in self defense and do not use it. Call to support state organizations. We, the people give the NRA and TSRA to power to talk to the legislatures

7. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Jim Irvine, OH. Buckeye firearms owners. Passed 3 pro gun bills in OH. Proposed bills in OH: Accept dd214s as training for chl in OH. Open carry not disorderly conduct etc. talked about trained 24 teachers out of 1500 teachers that wanted to be trained to carry firearms in schools. More classes scheduled In OH. They are doing something. This ties in with Texas HB 1009 that allows teachers to carry in Texas schools. Compared bloomberg to hitters nazi party, they looked for people they could co-opt or knock off.

8. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Maj gen Allen is discussing the UN gun ban treaty. Russia, China refused to sign. ISAACS is a problem as is the new treaty. The amendment process will allow everything we didn't want in the treaty will be in when the treaty amendment process starts. The senate. . . We can lose the fight by losing credibility with the senate on both a organizational basis and an individual basis with your senators. Read the treaty understand the testy text and be accurate in your statements. The facts must be right. Read it for yourself. Fight with the truth. This will be a generational challenge. Someone with credibility must stand up and ask every senator running for office is asked how they will vote on the UN treaty.

9. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Mass ayoob. On SYG. Simple principal. Law abiding citizen attacked unlawfully need not retreat, common law in England to combat dueling forced retreat. Some states, followed the law "the retreat states". Retreat was supposed to be able to be made in complete safety. However the controversy came from the 776 series in the FL statutes. Buy it covered 3-4 concepts, SYG, also reinforced castle doctrine (made it statutory). Case law, jury instructions. FL led the way making the common law principle of castle doctrine into statutory law. I.e. Presumption of danger upon forced entry. Also, police arrest powers limited in self defense case. Brady bunch twisted the law and misrepresented it in their anti SYG campaign.

10. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Self defense is the highest of all human rights. Mass quoting black stone