• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wife has a 2015 Suburban with about 123,000. No problems to speak of. She took the kids to the in-laws the other evening and I was outside. I was squirrelling out on my project... I heard a noise from it as she was leaving. Forgot about it by the time she got home. Went out today to clean the ride out and pre-heat it before going to town. Fired it up and a whining sound came from underneath the ride. It responded to the throttle. Sounded like behind motor, in front of tranny. Decided to take it to the end of the road to see what would happen. Made it 30yrds and came out of gear. Wouldn't respond to going to R, then D. Put it in P and then back to D. Made it 40yrds and out of gear again. Managed to get turned around and back to the driveway. This thing doesn't leak a drop. Gonna check trans fluid in the morning. I don't think that's the issue. Reading too many problems with this year transmission on the interwebs.

Ya'll been there and done that with this ride? I've read some good stuff stating that if you do need to tear into it, you can make it pretty Bullet proof. I have a shop I trust. But would like to hear from ya'll.

Thanks
    Guns International

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    My 2011 GMC was an OK truck..
    Transmission scared me starting at about 100k. I traded shortly thereafter.
    I doubt the rebuild will be too expensive, but I bet it'll be solid.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    My 2011 GMC was an OK truck..
    Transmission scared me starting at about 100k. I traded shortly thereafter.
    I doubt the rebuild will be too expensive, but I bet it'll be solid.

My 2013 with 100K on it is sitting under my carport with the dreaded converter shudder
    Feels like the motor drops a cylinder and then refires almost immediately.
    This shudder is murder on the converter, clutches and pump.

When shudder occurs, I can breathe on the brake pedal and it stops.
    There is logic built into the ECU that senses when the driver is about to stop.
    Things like throttle returns to zero, cruise disengages and the converter unlocks.

6L80E (5.3L) and 6L90E (6.2L) are not cheap ... R&R a Jasper reman unit (2013 unit with 4WD) is $5K and an upgraded rebuild by Precision out of Amarillo is $4400. 2WD versions are a couple hundred cheaper, IIRC due to less labor involved in the R&R.
    They are also year model specific (mostly wiring harness) and require an ECU flash so the TCU and ECU can "talk".

I didn't tow very much ... an RV to and from the deer lease once and the rest was a 12' trailer filled with a couple motorcycles.
    Trans never got hot and was always full. Fluid is bright red and doesn't smell burned.

The ole truck has been rock solid till this. I'm having a hard time justifying a $40K replacement over a $5K repair bill.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Over the years I have done most of the work you can do on a car. Except for automatic transmissions. Don't have a transmission jack for one thing. And an old mechanic I knew, gave me a lot of tips over the years and even loaned a specialized tool or two, advised letting a shop handle it.

jwynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2021
    Bertram , Texas
    My 2013 with 100K on it is sitting under my carport with the dreaded converter shudder
    Feels like the motor drops a cylinder and then refires almost immediately.
    This shudder is murder on the converter, clutches and pump.

When shudder occurs, I can breathe on the brake pedal and it stops.
    There is logic built into the ECU that senses when the driver is about to stop.
    Things like throttle returns to zero, cruise disengages and the converter unlocks.

6L80E (5.3L) and 6L90E (6.2L) are not cheap ... R&R a Jasper reman unit (2013 unit with 4WD) is $5K and an upgraded rebuild by Precision out of Amarillo is $4400. 2WD versions are a couple hundred cheaper, IIRC due to less labor involved in the R&R.
    They are also year model specific (mostly wiring harness) and require an ECU flash so the TCU and ECU can "talk".

I didn't tow very much ... an RV to and from the deer lease once and the rest was a 12' trailer filled with a couple motorcycles.
    Trans never got hot and was always full. Fluid is bright red and doesn't smell burned.

The ole truck has been rock solid till this. I'm having a hard time justifying a $40K replacement over a $5K repair bill.
    You might just have a simple servo sticking . Find a good tranny guy local not any of those franchise shops

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    You might just have a simple servo sticking . Find a good tranny guy local not any of those franchise shops

And to bring this full circle ... it was a converter. Trans was fine ... steels, clutches, bearing, fluid all were like new. Nothing in the pan and just a bit of fairy dust on the magnet. Trans builder said I stop driving it before any really expensive damage could be done.

New Precision Industries billet converter, updated separator plate, change the plastic balls to stainless, new thrust washers and seals ... $1500.

It's nice to know there are honest tradesmem still in business.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom