Join TexasGunTalk

2019 Fall Family Reunion: General Chatter

Discussion in 'TGT Family Reunion' started by toddnjoyce, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Coiled

Coiled I'm full of sunshine & happiness

Nov 25, 2016
    Huntsville-ish
    "We are a non-profit humanitarian group comprised of volunteers."

Then why the exempt plates?

Incorporation to me means a business, Sum Ting Wong. :popcorn:

2. Big Green

Big Green Pew Pew TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Others have also replied and I’ll answer to them accordingly.

That’s exactly the answer I wanted to see. At what point do people decide it’s not worth it. Texas is a huge state and how do we accommodate all of us. Ben, I will say there is a range closer to us that I would like to think would accommodate, though I don’t know.

I also know there are ranges south of DFW that have long ranges. And some just west of DFW. Obviously there are places out west, but how many of us would be willing to drive.

Personally, and I assure you I speak solely for myself, a full weekend would be most enjoyable. A place to camp and socialize and the next day hit the range would be an experience not soon forgotten. That may require someone’s lease or personal ranch. Or someone privy to such things. Perhaps a certain lawyer with access to such things who I have not previously had the pleasure of meeting. :cool:

FireInTheWire and EZ-E like this.
  3. Big Green

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Pretty sure you’re on a list now.

Where did I put that hat made of thin sheets of aluminum?

4. Big Green

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I think that would be phenomenal. I took a vacation day this time for Friday, and would gladly do so again.

Dad_Roman and Davetex like this.
  5. Big Green

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    As far as direction, exactly why I posed the question.

Also, this time of the year directly impacts leases and hunting, that I understand. What is needed is a big enough piece of land to accommodate.

As far as things like Tannerite, yes, I can understand how and why that may be a challenge. In this great and beautiful state, with all of these varied members, it does seem possible that a place may exist. Where and how far a drive for the majority of the members to attend is the overwhelming issue.

Again, cost benefit ratio, fun to length of drive, is what will dictate the location and available activities.

Please don’t anyone think that I didn’t enjoy this past Saturday. I had more fun shooting a few guns and spending most time socializing than I have had in a longer time than I care to admit. What struck me more, was stories of old and the things that were enjoyed. I’m pretty sure we’ve all seen the machine gun shoot held at Knob Creek. In the greatest state in the Union, why is it not held here?!?!!

(The last part was a bit of comical rambling and pride for this state.)

6. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Interesting point. I note that most of the 1000-yard competitive shooting venues in the state are private ranges. They're not gun clubs nor are they open to the public. They're just ranges built by people with land who like to shoot at long range and socialize with others who share their interests.

Is there a TGT member, located roughly in the middle of the state, who would be willing to build a range on their land at their expense just to host a twice-a-year party? I dunno.
    Given the right venue and structure of activities, I strongly agree.

7. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, that's why I posed the question in the first place. Having had a little time to think about it, though, I know of other examples of private groups being recognized as quasi-official NGOs and being given authority normally reserved for governments. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, for example, has an exemption carved out in federal law allowing them to receive, investigate, and retain obscene material. I've just never known such an organization that fielded their own official vehicles with exempt plates. I found that a little jarring.

8. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Yessir. Soon as i win the lottery :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southpaw, EZ-E, toddnjoyce and 4 others like this.
  9. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Ego kills talent TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    Better range = weekend retreat

Darkpriest667, EZ-E and Dad_Roman like this.
  10. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Agreed! Although I usually drive there and back in one day, if we had a dinner planned for Friday night and a better range, I just may have to book a Friday and Saturday night stay. I would probably want to stay to the end of the day on Saturday.