• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    So far quail season is a bust for me in atascosa county. Kinda surprised because it’s usually halfway decent most years. This year though, haven’t seen a single one!
    Are y’all seeing any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I’ve heard that quail populations go hand in hand with how wet of a year it is. It has been rather dry in atascosa county

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve heard that quail populations go hand in hand with how wet of a year it is. It has been rather dry in atascosa county

I've been told 2 different things. Water and disease. The years when we we're up to our elbow with them, we had good moisture. Then I ran into a GW and he told me it was disease that hit them hard. Something about making them blind..???

I'm not a big quail hunter... so I haven't researched them thoroughly enough. But, I do keep an eye out and aware of their coming and going.

A few years ago, I took off on foot with my shotgun and some rocks in the pocket. I chased a cubby over and over... kept walking and trying to kick them up with rocks. Frustrated, I looked up and realized I was over a mile from the house. They made a joke outta me. Came home and researched bird dogs. Came to the conclusion.... I'm just not that into it.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Nothing better than hunting quail over good dogs...

I've hunted CA quail near the Salton Sea, and here, both with and w/o dogs. And found it was pretty hard w/o a good dog. The coveys like to run or hold tight instead of flush. I've even gone in and stomped brush.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Most of the time I see quail in the brush when I’m not looking for them. Then when I hunt them, they’re nowhere to be found.
    I’ve had maybe 2-3 okay hunts. I have to walk around until I spook them, then follow where they land

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom