• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    The place I'm getting to hunt his year, there was a feeder left in the field empty for about four years (according to owner). I moved it to a different location to hopefully attract deer to the other side of his property, away from public land. Of the 174 video's at the feeder, a handful were racoons, crows squirrels and over 150 of hogs! Not one single deer. Think I'm going to disconnect battery and hope hogs go away or move it to another area where the hogs can come to it. Are gravity feeders good to use? Thinking I can get food off the ground and hogs won't come in.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The place I'm getting to hunt his year, there was a feeder left in the field empty for about four years (according to owner). I moved it to a different location to hopefully attract deer to the other side of his property, away from public land. Of the 174 video's at the feeder, a handful were racoons, crows squirrels and over 150 of hogs! Not one single deer. Think I'm going to disconnect battery and hope hogs go away or move it to another area where the hogs can come to it. Are gravity feeders good to use? Thinking I can get food off the ground and hogs won't come in.

It takes time to get them used to coming to the feeder.

Reactions: MTA

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)

Sounds like a great place to hog hunt !
    I know you are there to deer hunt but wild hogs are great eating. I'd start picking off sows between 60-120 lbs. Pack the freezer with some great meat.

Also, many times over the years I shot a good deer within minutes or hours of shooting a hog at the same place/area. That happened to me probably 3 years in a row near Pearsall, TX. Deer don't seem to mind dead hogs lying around.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Feeders topped last weekend and took Monday off for opening weekend. First time I've ever treated myself. I usually have the best luck around Thanksgiving which seems wonderfully serendipitous. But it will be great to get an extra session or two see what's out there.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Sounds like a great place to hog hunt !
    I know you are there to deer hunt but wild hogs are great eating. I'd start picking off sows between 60-120 lbs. Pack the freezer with some great meat.

Also, many times over the years I shot a good deer within minutes or hours of shooting a hog at the same place/area. That happened to me probably 3 years in a row near Pearsall, TX. Deer don't seem to mind dead hogs lying around.
    Seems the hogs are coming in just after dark, then back between 10pm-2am and again just before dawn. Need night vision or thermal and will start taking them out. Maybe the change in weather will keep them out longer. When does the rut usually kick in in the northern area (Fannin County)?

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm surprised that the hogs are so shy. I'd be willing to bet they will go where the corn is. Maybe it's a matter of changing your feed time. I bumped back my timers this last week to keep up with dlst. They'll be dropping early for a week or two but they should sync up well for the season.

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    84e87c3c6adfb42c06d6f3eb6cedf676.jpg

Wife is due on the 6th.... I think I need to fix my bow and get in the blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    84e87c3c6adfb42c06d6f3eb6cedf676.jpg

Wife is due on the 6th.... I think I need to fix my bow and get in the blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best do it fast, you won't have much time after the sixth or so. I recently found this out the hard way... not that I wasn't expecting it, but getting new-infant-busy is even moreso when it's first-hand.

You might be better off to just stay up all night to get it fixed ASAP. In a few weeks, you won't notice the difference in missing a single nights' sleep.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    First time in the stand at the land I hunt near my house. Saw some does and a big pack of hogs on the trail cam the past few days.
    Havent been able to go out until now bc I was recovering from a surgery.

So yesterday it was nice and cold outside and I had a good feeling like I was definitely going to see something. Then someone starts mag dumping a rifle near where I was at. So while it was nice to be outside in the cold, I didnt see shit. Ill be out there again this evening.

Top Bottom