• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I’m lucky to only have Bull snakes around the house. The longest I have caught was about 5’ long. Usually they are 24-36 “ in length. I have to go up on the Mesa looking for Rattler. Did that when I was young and dumber. My wife was not to thrilled when we found a 5’ shed in the house. On a positive note we don’t have mice.
    Guns International

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    They'd be more of the "wack 'em on the head" type then. My mom hates snakes. All snakes. She doesn't live in an area with dangerous snakes, but she kills every snake she sees. She keeps a hoe handy (and I'm not talking about my little sister, that's a whole 'nother train wreck!) for killing snakes.
    Bull snakes were the scourge of my mothers hen house. She frequently found them in the nests when gathering eggs. They were gathering eggs too. She kept a hoe handy for the competition also and I don't have a sister.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Sjambok are what they kill snakes with in Africa. Getting a real one in America might require smuggling. Cold Steel use to make them out of plastic.

baboon,

FY, when my knee as REALLY "messed-up" & "HURT LIKE H" (after a tumble down the stairs), I found that a LIGHT/THIN polycarbonate ski-pole (cut down to about 48") WORKED WELL for the same purposes, whether as a walking cane, a handy tool to expend my arm-reach or as a defensive weapon.

yours, satx

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    baboon,

FY, when my knee as REALLY "messed-up" & "HURT LIKE H" (after a tumble down the stairs), I found that a LIGHT/THIN polycarbonate ski-pole (cut down to about 48") WORKED WELL for the same purposes, whether as a walking cane, a handy tool to expend my arm-reach or as a defensive weapon.

yours, satx
    I prefer ten foot poles.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    How about an owl?

59A84438-3D28-4F7E-94A6-EA7F8F55AD08.png

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    baboon,

yours, satx
    I prefer a 48" pole that goes bang on one end.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Your best defense against snakes, or thugs, is situational awareness. Look, and know what is going on around you at all times.

KJQ6945,

i know that this comment may be a bit OFF TOPIC but yesterday afternoon I talked to a Supervisor out at The Nature Center & she said that she wished that we had the "pastel-colored " Cottonmouth that you took photos of, as those natural color variations are QUITE RARE & that IF we had the snake, we would have put it on display.

yours, satx

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    KJQ6945,

i know that this comment may be a bit OFF TOPIC but yesterday afternoon I talked to a Supervisor out at The Nature Center & she said that she wished that we had the "pastel-colored " Cottonmouth that you took photos of, as those natural color variations are QUITE RARE & that IF we had the snake, we would have put it on display.

yours, satx
    I’ll keep that in mind if I find another one like that.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I’ll keep that in mind if I find another one like that.

KJQ6945,

Frankly, I would NOT suggest to "the average member" of TGT to try to catch us a "pastel Cottonmouth", as they likely would get snakebit BUT you are evidently quite experienced in handling DANGEROUS reptiles.
    (IF I'm wrong about your ability as a "snake handler", please DISREGARD this comment, as you don't need to be treated for "getting tagged" by a Cottonmouth. = FYI, I was bitten on the left hand while gigging frogs in 1965 & I still well-remember how UNPLEASANT that my treatment in the ER & as an "inpatient", in the hospital for several days, was. = NOT even a "little bit fun", as I ended up with a RAGING INFECTION, that required "excising tissue" & administration of several bags of IV antibiotics to cure.)

In the event that you find/catch a RARE Cottonmouth, PLEASE PM me SOONEST & I'll figure out a person/place to get the snake to us for exhibition.

NOTE: About 5 years ago, the TPWD had, what I believe was "a variation of" ALBINO Cottonmouth that was a PALE IVORY in body color, with a MUTED PASTEL-BEIGE DIAMOND PATTERN & BRIGHT GOLDEN eyes.
    (BEAUTIFUL snake!!!)

Unfortunately, it would NOT willingly take live/dead prey in captivity, had to be "force-fed" & despite the large amount of effort that was expended by TAMU grad students to care for such a RARE creature it was found to have "died during the night" some 6 weeks later.

yours, satx

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Found this one today. It wasn’t being aggressive so I took the opportunity to cut loose with #4 shot out of a Ruger Blackhawk. Good riddance.

8bc287cbc3a38a8cc67e407d7a8c8149.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is juvenile/adolescent Copperhead. You can see the discoloration at the tip of his tail still. When they are young, it’s yellow. Definitely not something you want on your porch.

Top Bottom