• ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

BayouShooter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2017
    Here and there
    What are everyones' 2023 goals related to health and fitness?

Every year I try to pick one thing that I want to accomplish in the coming year, and then start a few weeks before the Christmas holidays so it's a bit easier to get the habit going come Jan 1.

This year I really focused on bodyweight exercises and stretching (can finally put my palms on the ground!), but didn't put nearly as much effort into heavyweight exercises. In 2023, I plan on focusing on progressive overload and lifting heavy.

To start off the year I'm going to establish a true one rep max and a three rep max on bench/deadlift/squat and maybe overhead press. My goal for 2023 is to increase each number by 25% by October.
    Texas SOT

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I just want to drop a few pounds. And maintain a habit of working out every other morning. And by that I don't mean "yesterday and tomorrow, but never today". I have the time on work-from-home days. I just need to get my butt out to the workshop, move things around, and punch my punching dummy for a half hour or so.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’mm 49 and almost a decade out from a high intensity career. My body is beat and to quote Toby Keith, I’m not as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I once was.

Physically, I’d like to weigh 10-15% less than I do today. I’d like to finish a 1/2 Ironman and earn a new classification in a shooting sport.

As a man, I’d like to still be my (adult) kids’ role model.

As a friend, I’d like to save more friends.

There’s some other stuff out there, too.

Ultimately, I’d like to check one of these off next December.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I’m turning 60 shortly after the holidays. I want to lose 50 lbs by summer.

I’ve been trying to get back into a routine but allergies and COVID got in the way. At about 65% but coming back slow. I took the first set of Pfizer shots in 2020 and ain’t had a solid immune system since.

My plan to fix it is kinda drastic, begining with a 4-6 day fast. Not to lose weight per se, but to shed a buildup of garbage cells in my system. When you fast, your body goes into preservation mode and starts ridding itself of damaged cells at a rapid rate.

Also plan to continue with regular fasting and lots of raw veg only days.

Exercise will mostly be rowing and bands, with kettle bells and dumbbells mixed in.

More praying and journaling after some Bible reading daily.

The series on Longevity with Chris Helmsworth on the Disney Channel is intriguing….

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Keep my weight where it is. Keep walking every day. Fall less. Kept up the crippled crotchety bastard exercise routine. I'm disabled and it ain't much, shit my total daily activity is spent doing what exercise I can before the pain meds wear off, it's worth it to be alive.

AustinBR

BayouShooter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2017
    Here and there
    I’m turning 60 shortly after the holidays. I want to lose 50 lbs by summer.

I’ve been trying to get back into a routine but allergies and COVID got in the way. At about 65% but coming back slow. I took the first set of Pfizer shots in 2020 and ain’t had a solid immune system since.

My plan to fix it is kinda drastic, begining with a 4-6 day fast. Not to lose weight per se, but to shed a buildup of garbage cells in my system. When you fast, your body goes into preservation mode and starts ridding itself of damaged cells at a rapid rate.

Also plan to continue with regular fasting and lots of raw veg only days.

Exercise will mostly be rowing and bands, with kettle bells and dumbbells mixed in.

More praying and journaling after some Bible reading daily.

The series on Longevity with Chris Helmsworth on the Disney Channel is intriguing….
    50lbs in half a year is fairly aggressive. Will you be using an app to track calories?

Have you done a long fast before?

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    die young.jpeg

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'd like to be 25 again. Bench over 400 lbs. Curl over 200 fight like rabid velociraptor.

Instead I'm happy being able to do some pushups light curls walk about 20 minutes before screaming in pain and hopefully respectfully defend myself if needed.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    50lbs in half a year is fairly aggressive. Will you be using an app to track calories?

Have you done a long fast before?
    I fasted 8 years ago regularly. Longest was 6 days. Many 2-3 day fasts. Also intermittent fasting. It sucked at first, but wow, results were amazing. Helped me get my bad numbers way under control.

Also did juice fasting, which worked well too. But, slowly let myself go. Didn’t happen overnight.

I am NOT a dedicated calorie counter, and I hate tracking stuff. I keep hearing an app would help…maybe…and I acknowledge it is a powerful tool, but the answer is probably not.

I’m currently (since Sunday) doing one meal a day (around noon). Drinking lots of water…about 12-16 oz black coffee. Maybe a bit of raw fruit or vegetables (less than a cup). It is getting me in the rhythm.

I have grandkids coming for Christmas and will be doing a lot of cooking, and probably some eating…but after Christmas, I’ll be back to one meal a day and skipping eating for 2-3 days periodically.

Up until a few hundred years ago, going without food for days was the norm. These days, we freak out. It mostly mental.

Good info here:

Last edited:

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I fasted 8 years ago regularly. Longest was 6 days. Many 2-3 day fasts. Also intermittent fasting. It sucked at first, but wow, results were amazing. Helped me get my bad numbers way under control.

Also did juice fasting, which worked well too. But, slowly let myself go. Didn’t happen overnight.

I am NOT a dedicated calorie counter, and I hate tracking stuff. I keep hearing an app would help…maybe…and I acknowledge it is a powerful tool, but the answer is probably not.

I’m currently (since Sunday) doing one meal a day (around noon). Drinking lots of water…about 12-16 oz black coffee. Maybe a bit of raw fruit or vegetables (less than a cup). It is getting me in the rhythm.

I have grandkids coming for Christmas and will be doing a lot of cooking, and probably some eating…but after Christmas, I’ll be back to one meal a day and skipping days periodically.
    “My Fitness Pal” makes it very easy. Pretty much everything is preloaded into the app. You can even log entire recipes.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    “My Fitness Pal” makes it very easy. Pretty much everything is preloaded into the app. You can even log entire recipes.
    Yes, it’s a great app for folks who use it. As easy as it is, I still would not use it like I should. I’ve tried…I get way too lazy.

I do have it and use it for other stuff.

When seriously fasting, what I do is I simply start the timer on my cell phone. If I want to fast for 20 hours, I just don’t eat anything other than water or unsweetened tea/coffee (careful with caffeine) until it goes off.

That works for me.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I turn 59 in a few days. My goal for 2022 was to lose 50 lbs. I started at 265. I am not going to make it. At one point, I was down 40 lbs and have now drifted up with all the holiday food and such and will likely close out the year with 30 lbs lost...which isn't too bad at all, but not what I wanted. The problem is, I just can't hold to a regimented diet for that long. I had lost the 40 by June and basically have spent most of the rest of the year trying not to gain back too much.

Most of my exercise was on a stationary bike, push mowing a pasture, and long stalks while hunting. Let me tell you, pushing a mower through knee high vegetation is an exercise in frustration and tenacity. I made good headway during the drought, but then the rains came and I had to start all over...

So, my goal for 2023 is to drop another 35 lbs and getting down to 200 lbs....or less. My ultimate goal is 185.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yeah, "healthy" for me once I was done growing was about 235. Everything after that was unnecessary padding.
    I wrestled at 167 and had weight lifting record at 167 then one day woke up at 185. It's just they way it is. I could still run as fast and lift as much and clothes all fit the same.

Then Once at work I realised that no matter how strong you were extra weight helped when fighting I started to eat to gain muscle and weight and got to about 220 pretty quick. It made a big difference and made it harder for people you were taking down to gain leverage on you.

I'm happy in the 208 210 range. I just wish I didn't visit 350 plus in the intervening years. Lol

Top Bottom