• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawi jm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Purpose of the gun in question is really important to consider. For target shooting and some light deer & varmit hunting the 22-250 is VERY effective. It is a flat shooting bullet and has plenty of killing power for the deer around here, certainly any varmit. I regret selling mine and may pick up another soon.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I built a custom varmint rifle on a 1936 Mauser action with a German Reitz barrel in 22-250. It sits in a Fajen full beavertail black walnut stock, 26" full bull barrel and wears a Bushnell 4x16 scope. The thing weighs almost 11 pounds and from my Harris Bi-pod, it has almost no recoil.

Love the round! Very accurate and anchors the average coyote or bobcat real fast. Never hot anything bigger than a large coyote...I have a 270 and 30-06 for deer and pigs and don't consider any 22 centerfire for deer or bigger game, sorry.

Its a great round, if you want to reach out there. The damage done by the 55gr Ballistic Tip is...well...impressive!

- brickboy240

schertztx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    I am with brickboy. I have a Remington 700v in 22-250. bull barell with synthetic stock, bipod, and a custom painted reaper on the stock. I love it for varmits and target shooting. I have a 30-06 and a 25-06 for deer and other larger game. As for the 55gr. ballistic tips, yep!

TX50Cal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    I have a Weatherby MK V, SVR in 22-250 and it is easily the best shooter in my safe. Go with the 22-250, you won't be sorry.
    Dave in TX

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    This was my grandfathers .22-250 it was built a long time ago. Just got it out this weekend threw a newer scope on it, going to reblue the barrell and replace the recoil pad and go back to the range.

Banjoman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Azle
    Great thread! I have been wondering about a 22-250 myself. I saw a used Remington 700 22-250 the other day that got me interested.

viking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Cedar Park
    the 22-250 is great, guys used them for deer back in ND, where a fawn there is like "thats a nice doe" hear. I used mine for praire dogs and coyotes ect. I liked 50 grain blitz kings and 36 grains of imr 4895. My rifle is a M 70 26 stainless heavy barrel. The reason I went with 50's over 55's was for 2 reasons; 1 they grouped better and 2 they recoiled less, meaning with that heavy rifle you could see the impact on pd's.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Mine with a newer free-b BSA Scope on it i can shoot three rounds at 100yds and cover all three with a nickel not bad for a free scope and an amateur shooter i think.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Back in the 50s, I had a .22 Varminter, which was the .250 Savage necked down to .22. Hence .22-250.

It was then a considered a 'Wildcat', and you had to form the cases your self.

The round was so popular that Remington put it in their cartridge line-up.

I got many a woodchuck back in Pennsylvania and burned out the barrel on prairie dogs in the Texas panhandle.

Once shot a woodchuck so far away my buddy and I could not see it with our naked eyes. Was he ever impressed!!!

The rifle was a Douglas barrel on an early FN commercial action with a Fajen bench rest stock. Topped off with a Unertl 15x target scope.

I then had it re-barreled to .25-06.

I have since bought a Ruger barreled action (.22-250) and put it in a custom tiger tail sporter stock.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom