• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LukeTheDrifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    North of Dallas, TX
    Hey y'all!

I've got a .22lr rifle that was, apparently, dry-fired by a previous owner. In doing so, the steel was deformed a little at the mouth of the chamber. It pushed a little bit of the steel down so that, now, cases are difficult to extract and are scratched right in line with the burr.

I know that there are a few ways to fix this using files, sandpaper, etc. however, I don't want to remove any metal there, I just want to swage the deformed metal back out of the chamber mouth, without changing the dimensions of the chamber. It's a precision rifle, and I don't want to alter the original geometry at all.

What are the chances that any of you might happen to have a Menck Chamber ironing tool (or similar) that I could borrow to repair this? I'm in the Dallas area. The tools aren't expensive from Midway or Brownells, but I figure that, if I buy it, I'll use it on this rifle and it will collect dust for the rest of my life. That's why I was hoping someone might be kind enough to loan me one.

I really appreciate your time. Thank you!

Luke

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped." Psalms 28:7
    Hurley's Gold

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    You've got it right. Menck Chamber Ironing Tool 22 Rimfire is the way to go.

777754.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Of course, if it's your decision to NOT buy the tool that's just fine. I do things differently and have tools in my giant collection of equipment that I can trace directly to Old Flash in the 8th grade! When I need a tool, I either make one or buy it. If it is horrendously expensive, I may borrow it. At $23, this tool is simple and cheap and I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Heck...I'm going to enter an order at Midway tomorrow (Monday) for some scopes and rings so I'll have them send me one of the tools, anyway! Now you've done it....You cost me money....snicker!

Flash

Rbtreasures

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2015
    Of course, if it's your decision to NOT buy the tool that's just fine. I do things differently and have tools in my giant collection of equipment that I can trace directly to Old Flash in the 8th grade! When I need a tool, I either make one or buy it. If it is horrendously expensive, I may borrow it. At $23, this tool is simple and cheap and I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Heck...I'm going to enter an order at Midway tomorrow (Monday) for some scopes and rings so I'll have them send me one of the tools, anyway! Now you've done it....You cost me money....snicker!

Flash
    I always buy a tool need for a specific job may break even or incur additional cost on the first repair but will have for next job has paid off over the long term

Rich

Top Bottom