22 lr advice

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by mpolk, Jan 16, 2009.

1. mpolk

mpolk Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    Thinking about getting a 22 lr pistol to practice with along with my new 9mm FNP 9. Looking at the Sig Mosquito because it is very similar to the FN. I am very new to handguns and was wondering if this is a good move or not.

2. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I wasn't familiar with this pistol, so I did a yahoo search and came up with this; Pistols Forum : Sig Arms Mosquito Reviews

I would be more inclined to go with a Ruger Mark II or III or their .22/45 model. They seem to digest any kind of .22 ammo and extra magazines are readily available. And they come in lots of different barrel lengths and sight options.

3. mpolk

mpolk Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    Thanks for the advice. I was just reading reviews also and most were saying it only likes expensive ammo.

4. mcss383

mcss383 New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Highlands, TX
    I have shot probably close to 7k rds, if not more, through my Browning Buckmark and have never had problems with it. It is extremely accurate to boot!

It would be my suggestion if there isn't a 22LR conversion for you FNP 9.

5. brickboy240

brickboy240 Active Member

May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    After 10 years of ownership and heavy shooting...I am a big fan of the Ruger 22-45. Mine is accurate, reliable and has not given me a lick of trouble.

If you shoot 1911s, XDs, Hi-Powers or SIGs...the feel of the 22-45's grip makes more sense than the Buckmark or other 22 pistols.

I vote Ruger 22-45.

- brickboy240

PS: another really nice 22 pistol is the Ruger Single Six. My brother bought his when I bought the 22-45 and if you want a revolver in 22lr...the Single Six is a really nice shooter.

6. Nodena Ranger

Nodena Ranger New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    I am not particularly fond of Ruger pistols in general (with exception of the single six) but have owned a MK III Hunter for three years. Have shot many, many CCI hollow points through it with not one problem. A little difficult to get accustomed to the V rear site and the fiber front site but once you do, it's easy to throw down on a cottonmouth and dispatch it. I would not consider it a bulls eye target pistol, however one can change the sites with ease. Great, beautiful pistol...Ruger hit it outa' the park on this one. You won't be disappointed.

7. Nodena Ranger

Nodena Ranger New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    Oh, by the way, CCI is the only .22 ammo I'll shoot in any .22..... I've never had one fail to go bang... if that's considered expensive ammo.

8. jimmy-buffett

jimmy-buffett New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I am a big fan of the Browning Buckmark. The barrel is heavy which helps with stability, and there is not a lot of weight/mass that has to move to kick the rounds out. Plus there are a lot of mods for the gun. Mine has been wonderfully reliable and will eat pretty much any ammo you throw at it (I've been putting a lot of subsonic through mine lately).

Here's mine, with top rail, dot optic and .22 suppressor:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/223/dsc00548jn2.jpg

9. PopsXD9sc

PopsXD9sc Active Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Reviews on the Mosquito are almost always bad. I must have bought one of the better ones. Loved the style and feel of the gun and for the most part it ran well. 400 rds of CCI mini-mags was about what it took to break in quite well. Ran Federal bulk (about 1500 rds) with no issues other than the occasional fail to fire. My issue with the gun was the cheap sights and there are no replacements available since the front is staked onto the slide. Since I couldn't see it too well I traded for a new Buckmark and couldn't be happier. Only issue with Buckmark is that it doesn't like Remington Golden Bullets. Other than that it is a great gun; very accurate and no issues with operation. Added a red dot and TacSol integral rail and it's even more fun.

10. Patrón

Patrón Active Member

Feb 28, 2008
    San Antonio
    I'd consider the Sig Mosquito, go to a shop and look and feel them in your hand.