• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpolk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    Thinking about getting a 22 lr pistol to practice with along with my new 9mm FNP 9. Looking at the Sig Mosquito because it is very similar to the FN. I am very new to handguns and was wondering if this is a good move or not.
    Capitol Armory ad

mcss383

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Highlands, TX
    I have shot probably close to 7k rds, if not more, through my Browning Buckmark and have never had problems with it. It is extremely accurate to boot!

It would be my suggestion if there isn't a 22LR conversion for you FNP 9.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    After 10 years of ownership and heavy shooting...I am a big fan of the Ruger 22-45. Mine is accurate, reliable and has not given me a lick of trouble.

If you shoot 1911s, XDs, Hi-Powers or SIGs...the feel of the 22-45's grip makes more sense than the Buckmark or other 22 pistols.

I vote Ruger 22-45.

- brickboy240

PS: another really nice 22 pistol is the Ruger Single Six. My brother bought his when I bought the 22-45 and if you want a revolver in 22lr...the Single Six is a really nice shooter.

Nodena Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    I am not particularly fond of Ruger pistols in general (with exception of the single six) but have owned a MK III Hunter for three years. Have shot many, many CCI hollow points through it with not one problem. A little difficult to get accustomed to the V rear site and the fiber front site but once you do, it's easy to throw down on a cottonmouth and dispatch it. I would not consider it a bulls eye target pistol, however one can change the sites with ease. Great, beautiful pistol...Ruger hit it outa' the park on this one. You won't be disappointed.

jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    I am a big fan of the Browning Buckmark. The barrel is heavy which helps with stability, and there is not a lot of weight/mass that has to move to kick the rounds out. Plus there are a lot of mods for the gun. Mine has been wonderfully reliable and will eat pretty much any ammo you throw at it (I've been putting a lot of subsonic through mine lately).

Here's mine, with top rail, dot optic and .22 suppressor:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/223/dsc00548jn2.jpg

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Reviews on the Mosquito are almost always bad. I must have bought one of the better ones. Loved the style and feel of the gun and for the most part it ran well. 400 rds of CCI mini-mags was about what it took to break in quite well. Ran Federal bulk (about 1500 rds) with no issues other than the occasional fail to fire. My issue with the gun was the cheap sights and there are no replacements available since the front is staked onto the slide. Since I couldn't see it too well I traded for a new Buckmark and couldn't be happier. Only issue with Buckmark is that it doesn't like Remington Golden Bullets. Other than that it is a great gun; very accurate and no issues with operation. Added a red dot and TacSol integral rail and it's even more fun.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    It all depends on what exactly youre looking to do with it. Are you wanting tack driver accuracy or minute of coke can. Back when the Walther P22's were cheap I went with one and have loved having it. Its NOT a bull barrel Ruger capable of shooting one hole groups, but it does work for my plinking needs. At under $200 I cant complain. It goes bang every time, with whatever I put down the piple, although I did run about 500 rounds of CCI MiniMags through it to get her broken in good. Mags and accessories can be hard to find at times, but it is ready for a supressor, so when I take that Calss 3 plunge it will fit right in.

mpolk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    Thanks for all the advice. I found a really good deal on a Bersa 380 that I just couldn't pass up. I'll have to wait a while on the 22LR

coairBruce

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    About to take a Mosquito to the range

Looking at the Sig Mosquito because it is very similar to the FN.

Later today I'll be shooting a new Sig Mosquito out at Thunder Gun Range in the Woodlands. I have three different ammo types and will gladly report the results later. Note that most of the complaints about this firearm come from the early production runs. Serial numbers FO and later are said to be very reliable with a variety of ammo. We'll see.

mpolk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    I watched a video of field stripping the Ruger, and that told me I didn't want it. I just don't like how the 22A feels. I really kinda like the Beretta.

coairBruce

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Sig Sauer Mosquito first firing

As promised, I now have about 750 rounds through a brand new Mosquito and I have to report that I am, over all, very pleased. The Mosquito feels great, shoots great, prints nice groups. I was just shooting in the 5-7 meter range and all four cartridges were excellent for accuracy.

As Sig recommends, the Mosquito cycles flawlessly with either CCI Stinger 32 gr and CCI mini-mag 40 gr. Winchester 36 gr plated hollow points jammed on almost every magazine, even when using the smaller recoil spring that's included with the firearm. The same was true for the Federal 36 gr plated hollow points. We got stovepipes, failures-to-extract, and feed failures.

The solution was simple, but a little bit annoying. When we coated the cartridges with a light coating of Rem Oil, the two problem cartridges performed flawlessly through at least a couple of hundred lubed rounds each. I don't really like having to lube my cartridges, partly because it's a hassle but also because I hate to put oil in my magazines because of the dirt and grit it attracts, but I'll clean 'em out and take the time to lube the cartridges when it allows me to use cartridges that cost 1/4 what the CCI's run.

You could buy a Bucky and avoid all of this, but the Sig really is a sweet-shooting pistol. It combines the feel and some of the heft of a larger caliber, it's DA/SA, it's a nice ergonimical fit for a wide variety of hand sizes, and rapid-fire tears small jagged holes in paper. My eight year-old ran about 400 rounds through it and he LOVES this pistol. He's more proud of his Mosquito than his PS3!

You have to work a little to make a Mosquito perform with mid-range quality ammo, but in my opinion it's worth it.

jack_ricketts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Round Rock
    One Gun and it don't matter for the most part which MFG you like. My preference 20 years ago was Colt 1911 .45 Gold Match Cup and my Dad bought me $150 a conversion kit for .22. SO when I was poor I still got to shoot it and keep my skills up--I was amazed that when I had some money how accurate I had become when the .45 cal barrel was back on it. I was grouping palm sized .45 full clips at 50 yards on a rest and well within the Body Target Free Hand. I don't recommend making shots beyond 50yrds with a .45 cal pistol but a Gold Match Cup 45 was made for just that kind of accuracy. Find something you like that has a Coversion Kit. I know alot of Glock owners do well that way and of course Colt .45 owners.

markas70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Austin
    Iv had my Sig Mosq for a few months now and did the same test as you with the same results. great little pistol once you find out what works in it. If you didnt know,but the cheapest place iv found mags for it is at Acadamy when they have them.

Top Bottom