• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    did you pattern it ou of the rifle? I use the rat shot out of a pistol for copperheads, no problems. most of the time it vaporizes the head.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Is there enough power to even kill a Grackel? A .410 sounds like a cheaper, better solution.

If you shoot it in the face at 8 feet while it's walking really fast towards you. And you step on him before he has a chance to get back up.

410 on a rat would be like a shooting a 10ga on a opossum, a foot off the muzzle. Besides, 410 makes way too much noise and you can't shoot it in the garage.

I'd forego the whole rat shot thing and just buy some of the low power 22lr rounds. Aguila 20 grain will kill cats and grackles at 20feet.(don't ask how I know). You can shoot it in the same places as rat shot. Cost way less then rat shot and make less noise then some airsoft guns.

However, they are NASTY. You have to boresnake it after 5rounds. And brush the chamber after 10-15. And will not cycle a semi.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Believe Marlin mad a gun called the Garden gun held one once it seemed just a handle little shotgun suitable for pests.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    You're probably thinking about a Gamo Viper Express.

Viper Express Air Shotgun | Gamo USA

22 cal air shotgun/pellet rifle. I have one for snakes around the house. It's a great gun for that, but I don't think they make them anymore.

Gamo makes a great product and this air shotgun is perfect for safely shooting snakes in the neighborhood with kids and pets around.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Get you a extra barrel and a long 7/32 or 1/4 inch drill bit and bore it out...drill bit should follow the bore pretty nicely..doesn't have to be super accurate for the shot shell. Sounds like it would be pretty easy if you can find another barrel and a bit long enough.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    get a .410

.410 will punch holes in my barn roof. (it's "vintage")

i am thinking i am going to build one from scratch.

maybe a o/u or side by side double barrel shotgun. chambered for the remington .22 crimped shotshells.

i imagine hours of fun wing shooting yellow jackets and dragon flies, and taking pot shots to clear out grackles and pigeons.

as a bonus if you think of the firepower to meat ration of a .410 and a rabbit, or oppossum, the .22 shotshell is a pretty good match for rats and mice.

not to mention after a summer of rat soundups and backyard insect safaris, you'll be all set for squirrel and rabitts when they come around, not to mention dove season.

and if there isnt any game and you dont feel like pulling out the clay launcher jsut grab this beauty to be and a bag of saltines and head for the backyard.

later int he evening the grackles will be out to cleanup - then the real fun begins LoL.

thats my thought process anyway.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I bought a really old youth single shot bolt action at a garage sale. The bore is kind of worn out. Gonna try those shot shells in it. My buddy gave me a cardboard box of Winchester 12 shot. I had never seen Winchester SS, only the CCI.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    If you shoot it in the face at 8 feet while it's walking really fast towards you. And you step on him before he has a chance to get back up.

410 on a rat would be like a shooting a 10ga on a opossum, a foot off the muzzle. Besides, 410 makes way too much noise and you can't shoot it in the garage.

I'd forego the whole rat shot thing and just buy some of the low power 22lr rounds. Aguila 20 grain will kill cats and grackles at 20feet.(don't ask how I know). You can shoot it in the same places as rat shot. Cost way less then rat shot and make less noise then some airsoft guns.

However, they are NASTY. You have to boresnake it after 5rounds. And brush the chamber after 10-15. And will not cycle a semi.

super colibri is some of my fav ammo. that and .22 shorts.

constantly wasting grackles with those hehe. in fact when the barn cats see that particular bolt rifle, they tend to follow me around waiting for a warm meal.
    when one of those barn cats decided he wants to start tearing shit up and earns himself a bullet, i go with a full blown .22.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Believe Marlin mad a gun called the Garden gun held one once it seemed just a handle little shotgun suitable for pests.

i've seen them as well, but they are rare on the used market, and carry a premium as far as i know.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I bought a really old youth single shot bolt action at a garage sale. The bore is kind of worn out. Gonna try those shot shells in it. My buddy gave me a cardboard box of Winchester 12 shot. I had never seen Winchester SS, only the CCI.

hehehe yeah i suppose i could just wait till the barrel goes smooth! ;)

---edit---

epic multiposting!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    hehehe yeah i suppose i could just wait till the barrel goes smooth! ;)

---edit---

epic multiposting!

I only bought it cuz it was $10. Rusty, dirty, and the guy said you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Perfect for SS!

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    I wonder about the legality of drilling the rifling out of a pistol, or rifle do to length requirements. The shot shells from a smooth bore would consititue the construction of a shot gun would it not?

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    now that i think about i i think it would be an AOW. an unrifled rifle.

building in specifically for the shotshells myself from scratch i think is going to be my best and safest bet.

Hell, i might even make it out of wood and leather.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Oh do I have what you need.

It's a German made RS in 9mm rimfire. Single shot, smooth bore and factory ammo is available. They were/are popular in Europe for pests and scaled down indoor skeet shooting. Used to be popular here for clearing the garden of snakes, birds and such. Guess cities got uptight about folks blasting our feathery friends in their neighborhood backyards, and they lost popularity. Lot more and bigger pellets than from a .22, but not the range or noise issues of a .410. Nice little pop and the 6 or 9 shot sized loads should handle most small nuisances.

RS9mmRimfireShotgun1.gif

RS9mmRimfireShotgun2.gif

Here is how the shell compares to a regular 9mm and a .22LR

P9010098.gif

Top Bottom