• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Oh do I have what you need.

It's a German made RS in 9mm rimfire. Single shot, smooth bore and factory ammo is available. They were/are popular in Europe for pests and scaled down indoor skeet shooting. Used to be popular here for clearing the garden of snakes, birds and such. Guess cities got uptight about folks blasting our feathery friends in their neighborhood backyards, and they lost popularity. Lot more and bigger pellets than from a .22, but not the range or noise issues of a .410. Nice little pop and the 6 or 9 shot sized loads should handle most small nuisances.

RS9mmRimfireShotgun1.gif

RS9mmRimfireShotgun2.gif

Here is how the shell compares to a regular 9mm and a .22LR

P9010098.gif

That is super sweet!

ooo wee! i love it!
    though at a glance not exactly cheap to feed.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Finally got around to a couple pics. Buffed most of the rust off again.

Last edited by a moderator:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Turns out its a Savage, made in 1958.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I bought a really old youth single shot bolt action at a garage sale. The bore is kind of worn out. Gonna try those shot shells in it. My buddy gave me a cardboard box of Winchester 12 shot. I had never seen Winchester SS, only the CCI.

awesome let us know how it patterns.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    welp, after eventually getting the gamo viper mentioned in this thread, i needed more. it was fine for sparrows and such, but to slow to reload in a target rich environment, and you need at least 10 sparrows to make a meal of 'em, i ain't got that kind of time. I was looking at some of the nicer AirShotguns, but most like were made in spain (like gamo) and italy.

It was time to buy American.

Enter the Henry Garden Gun.

picked it up on the way to work today. in the morning when i get off i will see about snagging some breakfast with it. will report back with my review.

-----
    some additional information in the form of videos for you guys who can't read to well.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Turns out the only things I could find were game birds. And a Rimfire shotgun is not on the list of means and methods to my knowledge.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Remington made at least a few if not several smoothebore rifles in 22 LR. Some examples were the:

Remington Model 21 Fieldmaster: https://www.remington.com/firearm-history/model-121-fieldmaster

Remington Nylon 10: https://gunvalues.gundigest.com/remington-arms-company-inc/remington-s-nylon-series-22-rifles/

Remington 514 Routledge https://www.remington.com/firearm-history/model-514 &

Remington 510 https://www.remington.com/firearm-history/model-510-targetmaster

Remington may have had more of them as well.

Marlin had a smoothbore 22 WMR Model 25MG Garden Gun: https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/1999/12/marlins-22-mag-garden-gun/

Henry has at least one offering now that was mentioned in an above post.

ETA Info About Savage: Savage apparently made or makes at least one, maybe two. The Savage MKIG Smoothbore and maybe the Savage Mark I. At least they are shown for sale at the following two links:

Mark I Smoothbore:
    ...and as much as I hate to give them a free plug, also here:

Mark I G Smoothbore:

One thing about the Savage Mark I or Mark I G, on their site is does not show it as a smoothbore, at least as far as I saw but shows it with a 1/16 twist.

You can often find theolder used ones up for auction, at least I have seen a bunch of Remington smoothbore rifles in 22 caliber up for sale. They often go for a premium but you may be able to find a deal on one too. Keep looking, you will find one. Good luck.

Last edited:

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I ended up going with the henry garden gun! Thanks for the links!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Here is a link to a list of places with the Savage 22LR Smoothbore, some right around $220 shipped but no clue as to how old is that page.:

As I type, there was a 6 minute and 40 second old listing on Ammo Seek for one:

Guess I was searing while you were buying. Day late and a dollar short.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Hehe nah I got it a week or so ago on GB, but neglected to necro this thread until I got my paws on it. :)

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I have been looking for the right .22 shotgun for about 11 years.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Lol. I responded to this thread over a decade ago (not a helpful response mind you). Glad you got it.

My FIL got a Air-shot-gun recently btw. Hope yo have as much fun with yours as he does with his.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Lmao! Nope, that's me! Just ask my wife lol

Took 30 something years but I finally got better at it than my Dad.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Here is another option.......just take the oldest rattiest .22 that you can find and turn the barrel into a smoothbore with a drill and a wire brush......polish it out and voila.

Top Bottom