• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    any recommendations on .22 lr smooth bore bolt actions? having trouble finding a reasonably priced one. and thinking it might prove cheaper to get a second hand bolty and slap a smooth bore barrel in it.
    any ideas?
    Lynx Defense

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    well ya'll have heard of the .22 shotshells atleast right? it is standard .22 long rifle shells some of which are crimped and some have plastic capsules either of which contain usually contain a small amount of #12 shot. CCI has some of the later kind, anyway they are used for pest controland target shooting mainly. i think the boy scouts used to use them long years ago ofr shotgun practice / education.
    the purpose of the smooth bore barrels (a barrel without rifling twists) is to get a decent pattern. the problem with the rifling as i found firing said rounds form a standard .22 bolt action rifle that belongs to a friend is thatit makes a doughnut shaped pattern that spreads very quickly. so firing at a target even at very close range the shot goes compltely around the target, (i was trying to hit some grackles and was bewildered to find i couldnt hit one at practically rock throwing distance)
    i read somewhere that a smoothbore .22 is the best way to get decent patterns with these rounds. also semiautomatic rifles as a rule cannot cycle the .22 shotshells due to the lower barrel pressures they generate. infact ive read that the CCI shells (which have the plastic shot filled capsule) wont even leave the barrel of semi-autos.
    im not sure why, but i love the idea of a .22 shot shell, and still have a box or two left over from mfirst attempt using my freinds boltaction.
    it was fun shooting them even though i wasnt even ruffling the feathers of those damn grackles that like to poop on cars.
    also, they are far more safe to shoot at targets that may shoot through, or at as their range is only around 250 yards as stated on the back of the CCI box ive got here. ive heard great fun stories about dads and sons shooting dragonflies and barn rats with these things, even one guy that loved them because he could take pests out of the top of his barn without punching holes in the tin roof.
    the only problem im having is finding a .22 bolt action with a smooth bore barrel. as i can find plenty of .22 bolt actions for under a hundred bucks i wouldnt want to spend that plusanother 100 for a barrel for it, to have such a specialized gun. but its driving me crazy and i might jsut have to do it...

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Winchester used to make their single shot .22 bolt rifle (Model 67) in a smooth bore besides the regular rifled model. The barrel was marked smoothbore. The only example I've handled was a pre-WW II mfg and it had no serial number since that was not required on some firearms mfg then. The barrel was 27" long. The Model 67 also came in a 20 inch "Junior" rifle and a 24" target model. The Model 67 was mfg between 1934 and 1963.

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Cool, learn something new everyday. I never knew they made a smooth bore .22lr for the shotshells. Dang and I thought I knew it all. :(:p

The only experience I've got with shotshells though is with the .38/.357 ones. I use them in my GP100 for rattlesnake dispatch when they're in the yard....got one yesterday actually.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ooo that sounds fun.
    hehe i want to make a 454 casull shotshell and get a super redhawk alaska or whatever they are called hahah think of the snakes you could get with that bastard.
    haha

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hahaha

heyyy..... that gives me an idea.
    why not?
    a rifled .22 bolty is always better for shooting bullets...
    but why not a makeshift tube on the end!
    not a bad idea.
    hmmm
    *scratches chin*
    i wouldnt need a whole new barrel. and would have a fun little plinker / 1000fps tiny shotgun in one.
    i love it when jokes give me ideas.
    might have finally found a use for those pointless .22 slip on muzzle brakes.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    I fired one of those things at scout camp back in the sixtys, the were a lot of fun. I think Mossberg still makes them. Probably not cheap now days. If I remember correctly the old guns had a Jug choke in them for pattern control. Yuo might find an old one on Gunbroker.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I know its an old thread but I found it interesting

I went out and bought the cheapest 22 LR bolt I could buy and had a machine shop remove the rifling from the barrel.

I took the barrel out of the action and they ran a real long drill bit down the barrel.
    I would call it a cylinder choke but it works great inside 60 foot.

Killed many a snake and rabbit with it.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Cost me 2 24 packs of beer and a day of dove hunting at my place come opening day.

They did not want to put it on the log books as it where so we traded like value services

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    was googling this very topic again, and found my own thread.

so, any machinist want a 48 pack of beer for some light work?

hehe.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom