.22 Mag/.22 LR

RossA

May 20, 2008
Houston, Republic of Texas
I have inherited an old High Standard .22 Mag derringer. I know that you obviously can't shoot a .22 Mag in a gun designed for .22 LR, but can you shoot .22 LR in a gun designed for .22 Mag? It seems like there might be a problem with the excess space between the tip of the bullet and the opening of the barrel, but I don't know.
Of course, there is no problem shooting a .38 Special in a .357, and I guess the principle would be the same, right?
Still, better safe than sorry, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
Feb 29, 2008
Texas
The .22 mag chamber and barrel bore are oversize compared to a .22lr.

I have shot regular .22s in a magnum chamber and the brass expands and sometimes splits.
Also accuracy suffers as the .22 bullet expands to fill the mag bore.

So, it is not a good thing to do....

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
Feb 29, 2008
Texas
Aaaahhh, that's why I asked. I didn't know about the oversize dimensions of the 22 mag. Thanks for the info.
Years ago I bought a S&W 651 SS revolver in .22 mag.
I then sent it back to the factory to have a .22 lr cylinder fitted.
Fine, but no accuracy with the .22 lr cylinder installed...I had forgotten about the mags oversize bore..:rolleyes:

RossA

May 20, 2008
Houston, Republic of Texas
I never thought of that. I think that Ruger used to have a western style revolver (maybe the Bearcat or Single Six?) with interchangeable 22LR and Mag cylinders. I guess there were a lot of people who wondered why the Mag shot more accurately than the LR.
It's good to ask questions!

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
Feb 29, 2008
Texas
I never thought of that. I think that Ruger used to have a western style revolver (maybe the Bearcat or Single Six?) with interchangeable 22LR and Mag cylinders. I guess there were a lot of people who wondered why the Mag shot more accurately than the LR.
It's good to ask questions!
And I also have the single-six in .22lr. I assume its .22lr, its not marked on the gun and I believe it is older than the mag cartridge.
Back in the day when you could order cylinders from Ruger, I got a .22 mag one. Gun shows would have them for $5-$10.

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads