• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RossA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Houston, Republic of Texas
    I have inherited an old High Standard .22 Mag derringer. I know that you obviously can't shoot a .22 Mag in a gun designed for .22 LR, but can you shoot .22 LR in a gun designed for .22 Mag? It seems like there might be a problem with the excess space between the tip of the bullet and the opening of the barrel, but I don't know.
    Of course, there is no problem shooting a .38 Special in a .357, and I guess the principle would be the same, right?
    Still, better safe than sorry, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks
    Military Camp

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    The .22 mag chamber and barrel bore are oversize compared to a .22lr.

I have shot regular .22s in a magnum chamber and the brass expands and sometimes splits.
    Also accuracy suffers as the .22 bullet expands to fill the mag bore.

So, it is not a good thing to do....

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Aaaahhh, that's why I asked. I didn't know about the oversize dimensions of the 22 mag. Thanks for the info.

Years ago I bought a S&W 651 SS revolver in .22 mag.
    I then sent it back to the factory to have a .22 lr cylinder fitted.
    Fine, but no accuracy with the .22 lr cylinder installed...I had forgotten about the mags oversize bore..:rolleyes:

RossA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Houston, Republic of Texas
    I never thought of that. I think that Ruger used to have a western style revolver (maybe the Bearcat or Single Six?) with interchangeable 22LR and Mag cylinders. I guess there were a lot of people who wondered why the Mag shot more accurately than the LR.
    It's good to ask questions!

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I never thought of that. I think that Ruger used to have a western style revolver (maybe the Bearcat or Single Six?) with interchangeable 22LR and Mag cylinders. I guess there were a lot of people who wondered why the Mag shot more accurately than the LR.
    It's good to ask questions!

And I also have the single-six in .22lr. I assume its .22lr, its not marked on the gun and I believe it is older than the mag cartridge.
    Back in the day when you could order cylinders from Ruger, I got a .22 mag one. Gun shows would have them for $5-$10.

Top Bottom