.22 mini wheel vs .45 deringer ~ which to get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 1, 2011
    I've long had a fascination with deringers but have never owned one and don't really want to add the long Colt which appears to be the most common, to my ammo requirements. I handled the Bond Arms Cowboy Defender and it actually felt nice but the biggest problem is only 2 rounds on board. For a year or so now I've been interested in a .22 magnum mini revolver. They look really cool but the majority of the grips are so small it's difficult to operate the gun.

Yesterday I fondled the North American Arms Black Window and liked it very much except for the pin lock mechanism to remove the cylinder. It was a little awkward to use versus the push button and pull pin straight out system. I also groped the NAA Mini Master which handled nearly identical to the Black Widow and has the preferred pin lock mechanism.

So my question is if you own or have shot either or both of these types firearms what have you learned and what would be your 1st choice? What else can you tell me from experience?

NAA Black Widow w/magnum conversion cylinder

bwc.jpg

NAA Mini Master w/adj. rear sight

mmtm_3.jpg
    Guns International

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I carry a NAA mini revolver in .22 Magnum everywhere I go. Mine has the 1 5/8" barrel and I love it. Drops right into the pocket. The bigger mini revolvers just seem pointless to me. They are a little big (with the longer barrels) for the pocket and too small for a decent range gun.

Adjustable sights on a mini? What are you gonna hunt with that? Night sights? These guns are a point and shoot variety. Even the front post is almost too much really.

I am not a Deringer fan. For their size and weight there are better options available.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 1, 2011
    I should have originally said it's mainly for the novelty but I could see throwing them in a pocket with SD intentions.

Otherwise I agree with all you said. I put the Mini Master (4" bbl) in my front pocket and unless I made sure the muzzle was in the bottom corner, the grip crowned the top of the pocket, not to mention it looked like I had a track baton in there. :eek: Do you have any idea if the Mini Master grip will go on the smaller framed guns? Looks like I may be making some phone calls tomorrow.

Last edited:

BG1960

Well-Known
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    Bought the wife one like Mr. Dawico's because I was tired of hearing how cute they were and watching her fondle them at gun shows. And I had no idea what to get her for Christmas. Put a laser on it, it's surprisingly accurate. It ain't no Desert Eagle, but it's gonna give you serious skin issues if you get shot with it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I really wouldn't mind having one of the bond arms defender, maybe in .38/.357.

alexVT

Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    I shot a bond in .357 and it was one of the most painful shooting experiences for me. 38 wasn't very comfortable either. If you're getting it for novelty, you may as well get something you'd actually enjoy shooting.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 1, 2011
    I shot a bond in .357 and it was one of the most painful shooting experiences for me. 38 wasn't very comfortable either. If you're getting it for novelty, you may as well get something you'd actually enjoy shooting.
    I'm surprised it was that bad. The grip is short but plenty wide so I thought it would be OK. Do you enjoy shooting those calibers in a K frame?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

The reviews I've read say it's shoot able with lighter bullets but the heavier .357 loads get uncomfortable.

I wouldn't buy it for a novelty gun. I would use it for those times I want deep concealment and more power than a .22 or .22 mag. I'd like to have a .357 I can fit in my pocket or boot.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The reviews I've read say it's shoot able with lighter bullets but the heavier .357 loads get uncomfortable.

I wouldn't buy it for a novelty gun. I would use it for those times I want deep concealment and more power than a .22 or .22 mag. I'd like to have a .357 I can fit in my pocket or boot.

Pretty sure there's no size or weight advantage in the Bond over something like an LCP.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I have both NAA in .22lr and Bond Arms with 45LC and 357 mag. Neither one good for target shooting but if someone is trying to kick your ass then both of them will get them off of you. I like the NAA 22 because it fits inside if my watch pocket. The two shot Bond needs to go in my hip pocket. So to answer the OP? Get both of them. I say you can never have too many.

Top Bottom