• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tgoody14

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Lake Amistad
    I've searched this question only to find general q/a... I'm looking to go a little more detail and need some thoughts from you guys...

I have two 5.56 barreled rifles zero'd with .223 64 grain fmj.
    I just recently picked up 400 rounds of 5.56 55 grain fmj on a trade.

One rifle is set up long range 200+ and I will only shoot the 64gr .223 in it.
    The other rifle I have sighted in at 50 yards for just playing around at the farm shooting critters.

My question is for the rifle I intend to shoot from 25-75 yards that I have zero'd at 50 with the 64 grain .223
    Will the 55 grain 5.56 be noticeably off or will it be pretty much dead on as the .223 at 25-75yards? I know at further distances it would matter, which is why I wouldn't shoot it in my long range setup...

If it's noticeably different I may look into trading the 5.56 for the .223

Thanks
    Guns International

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Easiest way to tell is to probably shoot it.

If you shot nothing but 55gr but from Federal, Wolf and PMC I wouldn't be surprised if each different brand shifted slightly.

Changing bullet weight & shape & brand would probably change the point of impact but at 25 yards you shouldn't notice it. At 75 you might. Best way to find out for sure is to try shooting a few, everything else is just speculation.

Last edited:

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    5.56 1-7 twist should stabilize a 55 gr, but since it's lighter, with all things equal it will be moving a bit faster than the 64 gr. This will most likely put it a bit higher at the up-zero, and the distance zero should be a bit further. I'm guessing less than an inch higher at 50 yards and add 15-20 yards further at the distance zero but you won't know until you shoot it. The only reason to get a dedicated .223 with a slower twist (1-8 or 1-9) would be if you want to shoot light weight varmint rounds, like 40 gr which are questionable in a fast twist barrel.

Tgoody14

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Lake Amistad
    If you shot nothing but 55gr but from Federal, Wolf and PMC I wouldn't be surprised if each different brand shifted slightly.

Very valid point!

I can't get back out to the range for awhile is why I was hoping somebody might know

I may just try swapping them out in the mean time. Just so I know...

Both my barrels are 1:7

Thanks Guys

Top Bottom