• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I'd probably do it. I've got a 20" barrel on my Grendel and a rifle buffer. When I built it, one of the more common complaints were getting the gas right. Mine worked fine with a normal gas block - but with a can - give yourself options.

I rather not use an adjustable GB. But always good since you can tune the AR to where it will extend the life of your brass and reduce wear on the bolt.

DeudeMann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2019
    San Antonio
    For the record, the 224V is a great cartridge for the AR platform as long as you are looking for long-range shooting. It picks up where a standard 223R drops off, unless you are shooting a custom, hand fed, bolt-action 223(R, AI, etc) and handloading.

The Valkyrie will work just fine out to 1000 yards+ (I have done it) and with the Hornady 80 ELD, and even the 95 gr Sierra Match King, has ballistic coefficients that match or beat a lot of the larger calibers. Muzzle velocities with the 80 ELD can be pushed to 2900-3000 fps, and still be mag fed. That load is supersonic well past 1000 yards.

It also works well as a varmint and medium game round, say white tail deer and smaller hogs. There are some devastating bullets like the Barnes 50gr TTSX that will do the job out to 300 yards. I have personally developed an accurate (sub MOA) Valkyrie handload with that bullet with a muzzle velocity of 3400+ fps (chrono measured). I pushed it to 3500 fps but was seeing too many pressure signs. Others have taken pronghorns out to 500 yards with clean kills using the 80 ELD; it actually works well as a hunting bullet.

For more information check out the Valkyrie Ascending Facebook page, and the Valkyrie Bolt-Action page. Also Gavin Toobe on youtube has some excellent videos on 224V development. Here is a good one showing performance out to 600 yards.

Top Bottom