• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    I'm looking for some 22LR shot shells for my nightly scorpion hunting fetish.... a box of 50 would be perfect

i dont want to shoot a hole thru the barn roof with solid rounds and i think shot shells will work, (the little bastards like to hang out up high and i am having a time reaching them)

i only found 3 rounds in my ammo fort :spam:

any of you guys have any in the general San Antonio area your wiling to sell or trade for?
    Venture Surplus ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The Academy Store in Abilene just got them in. They have them stacked up with a 500 round limit

They have CCI 20 packs fpr $8 and Remmington bird shot, 50 pack for $12 (I think)

Check your local Academy

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Depending on the weapon of choice, the spread pattern might just make a scorp mad. Out of my P229, the spread was barely contained by the 12 x 18 target at 3 yards! I reckon a rifle or Ruger Charger would do the trick! Happy hunting!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Here in Houston, Gander Mountain seems to keep them in stock. Do you have one of those stores handy to you?

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    A few years ago that was ALL YOU COULD BUY. The shelves were empty except for the .22 shot shells and the 17 cal rim fires.
    Are they hard to find now, I have not looked??????

bob

Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    im gonna use one of my mag fed 22 bolt guns, I'll check San Antonio Academy at 1604/Bandera road this sunday and maybe swing over to Bass Pro on the I-10 if no luck there

Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    update: scored 5 boxes of 20 rnds of CCI not local, from the interwebs

my observation: the CCI aren't as powerful as the Federal shot shells, they do work but i notice the closer i can get the barrel the better. within 3 feet vrs 6 feet with the federal brand.

ya'll really should get a black light and try scorpion hunting!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I've been killing mice at my ranch with the shot shells. The little bastards are fast, but sometimes they pause for a second and look at you, thats when you shoot them in their face:banana:

Shoot&Reload

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2016
    Austin
    I hit one with a BB gun while it was on the run on that ledge that everyone has in their garages. Hit the neck, and made it slide motionless, while kicking up saw dust with it's momentum . It was hilarious, because it slid like a charging hog being dropped from a head shot.

Know what would be cool?! Answer: If a company sold reloading supplies to safely reload shot shells in various calibers... I smell a U.S. pattent. ;)

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I hit one with a BB gun while it was on the run on that ledge that everyone has in their garages. Hit the neck, and made it slide motionless, while kicking up saw dust with it's momentum . It was hilarious, because it slid like a charging hog being dropped from a head shot.

Know what would be cool?! Answer: If a company sold reloading supplies to safely reload shot shells in various calibers... I smell a U.S. pattent. ;)

uh...they do.
    Speer makes the capsules that you put your own lead shot into.
    I loaded some 38 Special shot shell last month.
    You buy a box of 100 and get yourself some #8 or #12 lead shot.

you want them to have about 1000 FPS at the muzzle because it drops off so quickly.
    I loaded mine with 4 gr of HP 38 IIRC

speer+empty.jpg

Shoot&Reload

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2016
    Austin
    uh...they do.
    Speer makes the capsules that you put your own lead shot into.
    I loaded some 38 Special shot shell last month.
    You buy a box of 100 and get yourself some #8 or #12 lead shot.

you want them to have about 1000 FPS at the muzzle because it drops off so quickly.
    I loaded mine with 4 gr of HP 38 IIRC

speer+empty.jpg
    Whaaaaaat?! I've been out of the reloading game for a little over 1 year. Clearly that was way too long... I actually just re-oiled my presses this morning. Good omen I guess

Thanks for the heads up vmax.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Whaaaaaat?!
    I started to reply to your original post but then decided not to when I saw the smiley. I thought you were joking.

Plastic shotshell capsules for common pistol calibers have been available for decades.

There are other ways to make pistol shotshells, too. Before the pre-made capsules were available, dedicated reloaders used special dies to do star crimps on cut-off .308 brass to make .45 ACP shotshells. You can still do that, actually. All you need is an RCBS forming die out of Group H. The part number is 58378.

Info here: http://www.avr-developers.com/45shotshell/

Shoot&Reload

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2016
    Austin
    I started to reply to your original post but then decided not to when I saw the smiley. I thought you were joking.

Plastic shotshell capsules for common pistol calibers have been available for decades.

There are other ways to make pistol shotshells, too. Before the pre-made capsules were available, dedicated reloaders used special dies to do star crimps on cut-off .308 brass to make .45 ACP shotshells. You can still do that, actually. All you need is an RCBS forming die out of Group H. The part number is 58378.

Info here: http://www.avr-developers.com/45shotshell/
    I smile too much...:)
    But seriously, thanks so the innovative info. I reload ball ammo for target shooting, but I do weird custom ammo on the side for grins. Embedded tungsten was a pretty cool project. Maybe it's time to get em wheels turning.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wezel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    I made them a long time ago using .357 cases with bird shot. Put charge, cover with a gas check, load shot, crimp another gas check on top. Good for snakes. The two gas checks play hell if they hit too.

Top Bottom