• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    when I was 13, my bro in law and I went to see a guy about baling some hay for us. He was laying on the roof of an old shed, shooting a Remington Nylon 66 at the heads of turtles in his pond, 50m or so distant. He was having no success, due to the fact that he didn't know how LONG their neck is. The turtles were slaughering his ducklings and he got po'd. All you have for a target with the 22 is his head and it's a very small mark, drifting a bit, too. He missed a dozen times , went and got his 3006 bolt action and started aiming low and well back from their heads. Then he killed a few of them. At a low angle like that, the 22's pierce almost no water at all before being deflected.
    Capitol Armory ad

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    this ws 1965, so the .22 mag was brand new and nobody had thought of any sort of .17. the turtles were staying well out into the pond, there was no getting closer. What he should have done was set out some traps for them. Cut a drum in half, weld some hinges to 3 sides of the open end,. put scrab metal, concrete, etc in the bottom of the drum , Nail some 1x4's to each hinge and nail some fish parts to the boards at the hinge. Set the drum out in the water and turtles will crawl up the "ramps' to get the rotting meat. Have weights on the underside of the boards where they overhang the drum. When the turtle adds his weight to the and of he board, the board tips up and dumps him into the barrel. Traps beat guns for foraging, nearly always

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Zabookas work well.

giphy.gif

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    this ws 1965, so the .22 mag was brand new and nobody had thought of any sort of .17. the turtles were staying well out into the pond, there was no getting closer. What he should have done was set out some traps for them. Cut a drum in half, weld some hinges to 3 sides of the open end,. put scrab metal, concrete, etc in the bottom of the drum , Nail some 1x4's to each hinge and nail some fish parts to the boards at the hinge. Set the drum out in the water and turtles will crawl up the "ramps' to get the rotting meat. Have weights on the underside of the boards where they overhang the drum. When the turtle adds his weight to the and of he board, the board tips up and dumps him into the barrel. Traps beat guns for foraging, nearly always
    .22 mag came out in 1959. And we used to shoot turtles on the bayou with .22lr. They work just fine. Body shots too.
    Put the pork chop back around your neck.
    He's gonna need more of the pig than that.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    My heavens, this guy reminds me of Gun Kid!
    this ws 1965, so the .22 mag was brand new and ...
    The 22 WMR came out in 1959, 6 years before 1965. One of the first rifles chambered for it was the Marlin Levermatic in or about 1959. So, why was it again that he did not think of 22 WMR that supposedly was brand new in 1965?

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    when I was 13, my bro in law and I went to see a guy about baling some hay for us. He was laying on the roof of an old shed, shooting a Remington Nylon 66 at the heads of turtles in his pond, 50m or so distant. He was having no success, due to the fact that he didn't know how LONG their neck is. The turtles were slaughering his ducklings and he got po'd. All you have for a target with the 22 is his head and it's a very small mark, drifting a bit, too. He missed a dozen times , went and got his 3006 bolt action and started aiming low and well back from their heads. Then he killed a few of them. At a low angle like that, the 22's pierce almost no water at all before being deflected.
    Cool story bro

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    So a 22lr won't pierce the shell of a snapper at 50 yards? That surprises me. I'm pretty certain a 22WMR would with no problem.

the .22lr wont suffice, not while piercing the water, at a low angle. from 50m. Also, without a scope, it's hard to see what way they are facing at that range, and you can't tell what angle their body is held at under the water, plus there's refraction of the image, even if you COULD see. Their body is 5" or so down from their heads, maybe much more if ifs' a big turtle.

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    depends upon the range, the angle of fire, etc. If you really have a problem, make some of the floating traps that I described above. Guns aint the only way to take animals.

Top Bottom