• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elitebowman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    I have been thinking of buying a gun for Yote and Fox hunting. Originally I was torn between the .17 HMR and the .22 WMR Savage. I kinda settled on buying the .22 wmr, because once you get out there around 100 yards or so with the .17 the wind plays heck on the bullet. Probably shoot between 100-200 yards with it, could be further occasionally though. Now I keep seeing talk about the .223 Remington. But this is my problem with considering one of them. I already have a .243 that I could use 80 grain bullets with. Why would I want a .223??? I haven't bought anything yet, just started considering the notion of it. I have always wanted a .22 Mag Rifle. I have a Single Six Ruger with .22 LR and .22 Mag cylinders. Hate skinning Yotes so I don't want anymore damage to them than needed to take them. Looking for a small hole with the gun I choose. Not worried about the reloading thing I have seen on here already, I don't have a reloading machine and don't plan on the expense of buying one. I don't shoot that much. Just curious what other's opinions might be on this dilemma?????
    Texas SOT

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sad to say, but these days you need to check on ammo availability.

As long as you can find the WMR ammo, go for it. I use mine a good bit and I have rifles in .223 as well.

But the WMR is a good bit quieter and I like it.

Elitebowman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    I have always wanted a .22 WMR rifle. I think what little I would use it, it will do what I need it to do just fine. Cheaper than the .223 upfront purchase also. Thanks for your opinion.

Elitebowman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    The Savage 93 bolt looks like a really nice gun. I am a Remington man, but don't see any with the scope and ready to go like the Savage. Just waiting for the right time to go get one.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The .17 HMR is the only rifle that I shot a perfect score with in NRA 200 yard competition. They are deadly accurate at 200 yards!
    I've also fired .223 from a large variety of rifles from 200 to 600 yards with excellent results.
    The .22 Magnum is a great game getter but I could never get one to shoot to competition standards. You can shoot one in a match but you won't win.

The correct answer to the OP is buy one of each. USE your Second Amendment rights!

Flash

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    I have a Henery 17 varmint express. It is by no means a tack driver. But is an awesome critter getter. I was thinking about the new 17 wsm for my next bolt gun. Just waiting to see if it survives.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sorry but don't know that gun. Is it a .22 LR, or a .22 mag. rifle. Is it a Thompson Center Rifle????

It's a shortened .223 case, round developed by Armscor.

esutered.jpg

9mm, .22 TCM, .223

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom