• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Okay First D, I thought that "Internal Reaming Service" phrase was pure truth and gold the first time I said it, now I wont call them any thing else. LOL!
    Second, How much is a Vanguard? I thought those were on the higher end of the hunting rifle world. I would have no problem with a Remington 700 in 25-06 if I can find one for around $400-$500. But like I said preferably 4.
    I will look into some places around here to see who does barrel work and see what kind of cost I would be looking at on the rifle build idea that High cap suggested. It took me a minute but I remembered I had a perfectly fine model 70 action in witch to work off of. LOL! What all is involved machining wise? Just the chamber and throat, or is there more than that that needs to be done? And if I did that would I need to do anything to my bolt or just the barrel?
    Lynx Defense

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I think the Vanguards are around $450 or so, they are at the bottom of the Weatherby rifle world, but they guarantee sub moa, so they must be pretty good rifles. I have never fired one but I have held one, and it just felt cheap to me, cant explain it better than that. You could build a good rifle off of your M70 action, I was just telling you that you werent going to save any money. You could check with Shilen or even Hill Country and see what they would charge you to rebarrel your rifle. As far as the machining goes, they will go in and lap the lugs, true the boltface up to align it with the bore of the new barrel. The new barrel will have to be reamed to accept the dimensions of the cartridge, which in your case is the 25-06. Everything has to be machined to where it lines up perfectly and the bolt locks up precisely.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Well, as far as Weatherby goes I've never been their biggest fan. No real reason I guess cause they were the "higher class rifle" and now there really not. But I'll look into those. But back to the custom thing. What kind of barrel am I looking at for this type of rifle? I'm not real sure that I want some behemoth ass bull barrel but I want something a little thicker than a sporter. My reasoning is that if this rifle is going to be pulling double duty (or more duty than double LOL) as a white tail and possibly prong horn or mule deer (some day maybe) gun as well as a yote (varmint) gun then it might need that extra barrel wall. And another thing is what is the likelihood that this will come out a sub moa build? If it's pretty slim I'm just not going to try at all. I'm also just looking into it because it sounds like it might be a way to get a custom gun for a retail rifle price.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I sent Shilen an Email asking about the whole process and price so I guess I'll be looking into this. But in the mean time how are those weatherby vanguards? Anybody shot one?

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think I might look into those and worry about a build on the rifle I have latter depending on price of course. I do kinda like the idea of building the new one from the ground up but there is also a mossberg 243 I'm not sure about 25-06 with a synthetic camo stock and a scope for about $350 that would be a good little yote/deer gun. Keep the info coming I'm listening to all of it.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    BC,Take a look at Tikka T3 rifles as well.They are great shooters out of the box and are priced in your range. If I was going to buy another hunting rifle it would be a Tikka or Savage.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I like the Vanguard and the T3 but I'd honestly have to say that I would either go with the 700, another model 70, or the vanguard. I might buy a marlin XL7 if one comes around chambered in 25-06 because that is a good rifle and with a good scope it would do great things. But they don't make those anymore so I'll stick to the other three for now.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Check academy for the vanguard. They were selling them for 399 still. Academy only carried the long action chamberings which i think included 25-06. I know they offered 30-06 and .270. I really like my two. With good glass they are great shooters. That loopy you've got should match up well.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I looked at the 700 and the vanguard at academy yesterday and I Like the vanguard alot. That will be the one I get when it's time. I think it's full length bedded. and the 700 is floated. Is this going to effect accuracy in the long term? I have also heard that the trigger on the vanguard are the worst in the business, anyone have some input on that?

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    My vanguard (30-06) has just put down two bucks in as many days. One yesterday morning and on this afternoon. I rather like it. The other vanguard (25-06) put down a buck this morning. My wife rather likes it too.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom