• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red Cloud

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Rifleman55 is right on with that. I know am outfitter in WY that will use nothing else for elk other than his Ruger #1 .25-06. And he has killed a lot more elk than I have. I have a XL7 .25-06 and love it.The 117 gr Hornady BTSP is deadly and so is the 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Deer and hogs are DRT just as fast as with my magnums with good shot placement.
    ARJ Defense ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I had some guy yesterday telling me that I was crazy to think that a 25-06 would be acceptable on mule deer and white tails at 300 yrds. I said WTF are you talking about it's perfectly fine out to 500 in the right hands and 300 - 400 in average hands. Has anyone else heard these things. This guy shoots 300 win mags because of "knock down power". Am I wrong in thinking that a 25-06 is good on Texas deer out to 300? Because I think with the 2 I've seen killed at 200- 250 (or so) and one that registered in the Nikon range finder right at 312 and a few pigs and deer both at 100 or so is pretty conclusive to me. The only one that took any steps at all was the pig he went about 10 feet.

Yeah, I see truckloads of these guys at work.

There is absolutely no reason for a .300 Win Mag in Texas. If you can't place shots, then you need to practice, not get a bigger caliber. Get into Colorado, Alaska, etc. and I can see the point to the .300 Win Mag, but I'd rather pack a .338 Win Mag.

These guys are also the ones that will only carry a .45 and a .357 Magnum because a "9mm is too damn small and weak!".

TXchoctaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Euless
    I have forgotten how many deer I have killed with my 22-250. I have a 7mm Mag. and guess what? It don't kill them any deader. And as far as them running off to be tracked at nite or whatever, never more than 20 yds. from impact.

My next rifle will be a 25/06, just because I think it's one of the best all around calibers.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have forgotten how many deer I have killed with my 22-250. I have a 7mm Mag. and guess what? It don't kill them any deader. And as far as them running off to be tracked at nite or whatever, never more than 20 yds. from impact.

My next rifle will be a 25/06, just because I think it's one of the best all around calibers.

Seen deer killed with all of those rounds all the magnum round gets you is less meat in the freezer.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have a 30-06 "model 70" (more or less, it's actually a Sears and Roebuck Ted Williams model 53 but that's another thread lol) that the groups are spreading with That I'd like to get a revamp project going with it. I then want a 25-06 as my new general rifle, it would double as my yote gun. And I want a 300 win mag or a 300 WSSM, for the bigger aspect of things.(elk etc.. if I ever got to go) I wouldn't mind a 243 or a 22-250 as another yote set up but I could go on with out them. a 3x9x40 Nikon or Leopold on any and 50-300 at least is in the bag on all those. I might would hang bigger glass on a dedicated coyote/varmint rifle but that would still be iffy. But most of all I want a 25-06 in the worst way imaginable.

Top Bottom