• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Old Man of the Mountain - I'm not trying to be funny, so if you have had such bad luck picking a residence......you may want to check out the following websites. I don't know your criteria for a new home, but it does not look like it has served you well. I have a couple of links you may wish to reference if you ever need to move again.

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, and more

Crime Statistics - CityRating.com
    Venture Surplus ad

Nodena Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    I visited El Paso 8Aug69....A-2-3 on the hill. Hotter than a MoFo by day, colder than a well digger by night, kangaroo rats, rattle snakes and rifle PT. Haven't been back since. My 'Hell' Paso experience was less than inviting. There are many places in Texas I'd rather be.

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Old Man of the Mountain - I'm not trying to be funny, so if you have had such bad luck picking a residence......you may want to check out the following websites. I don't know your criteria for a new home, but it does not look like it has served you well. I have a couple of links you may wish to reference if you ever need to move again.

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, and more

Crime Statistics - CityRating.com

Thank you!

Right now out of the houses on this one block of my street, which is about twenty houses I guess, three are for sale and one is for rent. That sort of tells you what folks think about this neighborhood, which was a great neighborhood when we bought this house in 2001.

Since I was thinking this over today, I happened to recall that when I was in High School, and pretty aware of what was going on around me, there was no crime. That is the difference between then and now.

I was living in Pasadena, Texas, at that time the population was over 100,000. No crime.

There were no stolen cars, no burglaries, no robberies, no rapes, and especially no murders. Over a hundred thousand people and nothing for the Pasadena Police to do.

The City decided to build a new building for the Police Department, and all the Voters really got mad about it. They built a huge bomb proof and bullet proof building, and no one could see any reason for it. I think it cost the Mayor his re-election, but not sure about that.

Well I can remember that there was one single crime that I heard about, but we did not live in Pasadena when that crime was committed. The old Mayor was arrested for fraud, or misappropriation of public funds, or something like that, but that was it. He went to Huntsville, is what I heard.

Pretty dull back in those days, wish it was dull now.

The demographics of Pasadena took a sharp nose dive, and suddenly there was crime of every type.

I had already moved a shot distance away inside the Houston City Limits, in a really nice neighborhood, next to a city park and a Public School.

Now it is not very safe to be at the park, let alone live next to it.

About two weeks before I moved out of my home in Houston, one of my neighbors was murdered in his front lawn by a thief.

I am totally disgusted at what has happened within my own lifetime!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sweet, I lived in the #9 most dangerous city about three years ago.

I'm surprised Oakland beat out North Charleston, and Atlanta in that list. I spent part of my childhood in Oakland and would rather live there than Atlanta.

I've spent a good amount of time in Oakland, have a friend that lives there. He can tell the difference between fire crackers and gunshots now. And he's in a pretty good neighborhood.

I've been to Houston and a little bit of El Paso, and now San Antonio, and can tell you I'd much rather be on the streets at night in any one of those cities than walk down the street in broad daylight in Richmond or Oakland, CA.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Yes there are some areas of San Antonio that aren't too great, but it does seem that the hatred of others is fairly low in SA. I find I can talk to people of all colors fairly easily without fear. Also there are a significant number of gun folks here.

Rhino

photofreeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Houston has always had a perception of dangerousness.
    Many years(1974) ago 5 friends in Humble staying with a newlywed friend. We were in the Air Force. We wanted to go out one evening and new wife said hubby could not go. So he told us to go to Westhimer Rd area to go clubbing. Maybe we started the party early cause 5 minutes into the trip we forgot the street name. Driving on we saw Crosstimbers Rd and decided that must be the road. We thought wow there should be less trees and more clubs. We hit 4 or 5 joints and had some fun in each.
    Next day we telling our lies about the night before and we complain that there weren't many clubs out there on Crosstimbers. Our friend tells us it was one of the worst neighborhoods in Houston. We were treated just fine. I guess its attitude and how you perceive your situation. This was the same trip where we got pulled over for the crime of having California plates in Harris County Texas.

ambidextrous1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M. Sage wrote:

"I've been to Houston and a little bit of El Paso, and now San Antonio, and can tell you I'd much rather be on the streets at night in any one of those cities than walk down the street in broad daylight in Richmond or Oakland, CA."

I can certainly agree with your comments on Oakland! I was teaching a class in the mid-1990s there, and remember being in the BART station one evening when a young girl was complaining that a taxi driver wouldn't take her to her home a mile away because he wouldn't go into that neighborhood after dark.

The most frightening city I've ever visited was Detroit; that was in the early 1980s. Sime really ratty neighborhoods were located next to very well-maintained and affluent areas.:eek:

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    When I was a kid, I think that Houston would have made the list for being one of the safest cities in America, if they even bothered with such statistics back then.

Today being in the wrong neighborhood in Houston can get you killed!

I am saddened and disgusted at the change in Houston during the course of my lifetime!

Today being in the wrong neighborhood in ANY city on earth can get you killed. I hardly see where this makes Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio any different. I live in the San Antonio area and there are rarely any problems around here... In fact it's quite peaceful and the folks are very friendly.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I've spent a good amount of time in Oakland, have a friend that lives there. He can tell the difference between fire crackers and gunshots now. And he's in a pretty good neighborhood.

Oh, I never said that Oakland was the safest place to live... I just thought Atlanta and certain northern parts of S. Carolina was way more violent.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    M. Sage wrote:

"I've been to Houston and a little bit of El Paso, and now San Antonio, and can tell you I'd much rather be on the streets at night in any one of those cities than walk down the street in broad daylight in Richmond or Oakland, CA."

I can certainly agree with your comments on Oakland! I was teaching a class in the mid-1990s there, and remember being in the BART station one evening when a young girl was complaining that a taxi driver wouldn't take her to her home a mile away because he wouldn't go into that neighborhood after dark.

The most frightening city I've ever visited was Detroit; that was in the early 1980s. Sime really ratty neighborhoods were located next to very well-maintained and affluent areas.:eek:

Forget Detroit. I was chatting with a "reformed" banger who had bullet wound scars and everything, I mentioned that I'd been to Flint once, and he looked at me in awe and said "wow, that's hard ****!"

BART is horrible. It's scariest going to/through Oakland. Fruitvale and the Coliseum are probably the two worst stations, though MacArthur isn't great either.

I once took a wrong turn back to the freeway and wound up in a really bad area of Oakland, in broad daylight. People were just chilling in the middle of the street and talking, without vehicles. Everybody would stop and stare at the white boy driving by. Not only was I pretty much unarmed (pocket knives only barely count!), but in a convertible. I didn't stop at any stop signs or red lights, and got out of there as fast as I could.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm supprised LA didn't make the list. I just thought it would. I gues not every city can be in the top 25 : )

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I'm supprised LA didn't make the list. I just thought it would. I gues not every city can be in the top 25 : )

#17. Compton: In the LA Metro area, just south of LA proper and north of the LBC.

Google it...

What a lot of people from California don't understand is that LA is like New York it's about hmmm... like 30 cities in one.

Point in case: If you live in Manhattan you live in NY, but just because you live in NY doesn't mean you live in Manhattan... there's Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem, etc...

Likewise with LA and Compton, Inglewood, Hollywood, Fullerton, etc..

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom