• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh458

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2020
    california
    I have a great shooting.22 Anschuz which currently has a 12x weaver scope,I want to get a scope with more magnification in order to take a shots out of 100-200yards,will a 25x scope with a1 tube get it done or will i need to step up to a 32x with a 30mm tube?
    Thanks for your time.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’m not a big rimfire shooter. Just do the basics with my old guns and iron sights. But I can say that extreme magnification isn’t necessary to shoot 200 yards. 10X is plenty to shoot good groups.

You’re also looking at a lot of drop from a .22 at that distance. A 1” tube may not have enough travel. Easy enough to find out. Run the numbers through a ballistics calculator to get an idea of what you will need. Most mid range scopes and up with tell you how much internal travel they have. 100 yards won’t be too bad, but you’ll need a good amount of adjustment for 200. And if you go to 200 and you are like most here you will eventually want to try for 300 just because.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The higher power scopes are really hard keep steady for a shot. They also are subject to exaggerated parallax error, if your eye is not in exactly the same position for each shot, then the minute differences are amplified as sighting errors.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have a great shooting.22 Anschuz which currently has a 12x weaver scope,I want to get a scope with more magnification in order to take a shots out of 100-200yards,will a 25x scope with a1 tube get it done or will i need to step up to a 32x with a 30mm tube?
    Thanks for your time.
    Better glass trumps more magnification. Spend a few bucks on quality.

As stated, more magnification can hurt you in the long run unless you need it for target acquisition. That's usually where a good spotting scope comes in though.

Keep in mind military snipers ran 10x scopes for targets out to and beyond 1,000 meters for a long time.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thanks for your time.

As stated, more magnification can hurt you in the long run unless you need it for target acquisition. That's usually where a good spotting scope comes in though.

Keep in mind military snipers ran 10x scopes for targets out to and beyond 1,000 meters for a long time.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

What he said. Twice. Absolutely worth repeating again.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Glass is still clear as day! I haven’t tried it yet but from a clarity perspective I see no reason it couldn’t go to 200.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Amazon product ASIN B01APT0HRGI have this one on a Savage A17 and shoot well past 200 yards. Very shortly it is going on my new Savage MKii precision .22. The A17 is getting an upgrade.
    Dawico is absolutely right. Better glass is way better than magnification. I have a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4-12x on the A22 and shoot well past 100 yards accutately. I wanted one for the Precision but they are hard to find.
    Clarity will trump magnification. Don't skimp.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

josh458

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2020
    california

Thanks Dawico

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom