• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So it is 300fps or so faster than the 6.5x284 that is known as a barrel burner?

If it doesn't burn up barrels then maybe there is something there.

The name does have a nice ring to it though.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Meh. Going to be a barrel burning machine 85 grains of powder going through a 6.5mm hole, Id be real surprised if it makes it past 1000 rounds before it needs a new barrel. Some 300WM with hot loads are doing good to get past that mark. Factory loads are reported to be 129s at 3400. For someone who would only shoot this gun for hunting it may not be a bad option but other than that I cant think of a use for it. For what its worth George Gardner said the guys at the nosler booth wouldn't answer barrel life and people were guessing around 800.

Id much rather have the 6.5 SAUM. Pushes 140s to 3200 or 130s to 3300 with ease using low 60s worth of powder and barrel life of well over 3K with a chamber set back all while getting at least 10 loads on brass.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    More powder behind a smaller bullet. How many times have we seen people go down the road of diminishing returns? I was fascinated some time back by the .22/.300WSM. Yeah, it's exactly what it sounds like. It spins .22 bullets so fast they often explode in mid-flight. With solid copper (or whatever alloy) bullets of light weight, it will break 5000fps. With heavier .22 bullets like the 70-grain Barnes TSX, it still runs around 4000fps. At that speed, it reputedly kills deer instantly - liquefying everything inside while the animal drops straight to the ground.

And it burns out barrels in about 300 rounds.

Sorry. Pushing lots of powder down small bores has lost any fascination for me. I like big, fat thumpers that never seem to wear out barrels. Call me old fashioned; I don't mind.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    300 rounds? How do you even tweak in a load and have enough left to actually go out and shoot?
    That's the point. You narrow things down to just one or two bullets and one or two powders. You fire every shot, even the barrel break-ins, over a chrono so that every shot contributes to development. You reload at the range so that you can make changes after 3 shots. With that kind of extremely efficient load development, you can settle on a load or 2 in 100 to 150 rounds. Then you load up 100 more to go hunting with, which should last most people a decade.

Rifles like this are not things you take to the range to have fun plinking on a Saturday afternoon.

And then there are benchrest shooters who buy 20 or 40 barrels in the off-season, test them until they narrow their selection down to the best 5 or 6, and only shoot those in high-level competition because they are considered to lose their gilt-edge accuracy after 1000 rounds.

Playing with rifles at the extreme outsides of the shooting envelope is loony business.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    What comps allow a gun that shoots that fast? Most I know of are limited to 3200 or have guns that cant make it faster than that anyway. I couldn't deal with a gun like that. I like to shoot way too much and its hard to learn how a gun shoots if you never get it shoot it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What comps allow a gun that shoots that fast?
    Are you talking about that 5000fps .22/.300WSM? That's not a competition gun. It's purely a hunting rifle.

I like to shoot way too much and its hard to learn how a gun shoots if you never get it shoot it.
    For many hunters, an entire season is 3 shots to verify zero then 1 or 2 to get their deer. After that, the rifle goes back into the closet till next year.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    So it's a Nevah Been Done BeFo .264 Win Mag?
    Double Tap factory ammo for the .264 pushes a 125 at 3250. Nosler claims a 200 fps advantage for their new cartridge using 130 grain bullets. I'm not sure what load they're comparing to.

Personally, I think the two are so close that it makes no difference. For some folks, I suppose the extra 200 fps is worth the money.

And another thing - Nosler is claiming "flat to 415". However, if you dig into their site and look at the charts, they seem to define "flat" as "5 inches above and below the POA." It's up to any individual reader to decide if that qualifies as "flat".

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Are you talking about that 5000fps .22/.300WSM? That's not a competition gun. It's purely a hunting rifle.

For many hunters, an entire season is 3 shots to verify zero then 1 or 2 to get their deer. After that, the rifle goes back into the closet till next year.
    You brought up the benchrest thing so I thought you were talking about rich folk using one of these screamer cartridges in competition which obviously wouldn't be allowed thank god.
    Double Tap factory ammo for the .264 pushes a 125 at 3250. Nosler claims a 200 fps advantage for their new cartridge using 130 grain bullets. I'm not sure what load they're comparing to.

Personally, I think the two are so close that it makes no difference. For some folks, I suppose the extra 200 fps is worth the money.

And another thing - Nosler is claiming "flat to 415". However, if you dig into their site and look at the charts, they seem to define "flat" as "5 inches above and below the POA." It's up to any individual reader to decide if that qualifies as "flat".
    Over the years reading various hunting articles, it seems the "boiler room" of a deer is considered to be about 10" size so Id say their claim isn't outlandish. Youre talking 204 ruger territory with a bullet over 4 times the weight. Like I said I think this will be a good cartridge for a pure hunting gun but for me personally I like my hunting gun to be a gun Im very familiar with and the guns Im very familiar with are the ones I take to the range every week. Its not uncommon for me to put 100 rounds down range through my 308 in one trip so no way I could afford this cartridge with the frequent for me barrel changes.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You brought up the benchrest thing so I thought you were talking about rich folk using one of these screamer cartridges in competition ...
    I got it. Sorry I wasn't clear. I was just pointing out that there are some people perfectly willing to re-barrel every 300 rounds. To emphasize the point that some people will spend ridiculous amounts of money on barrels, I referred to a game where people often buy 20 barrels to get 2 good enough to compete with and 3 good enough to practice with.

I can see where I created confusion. Sorry.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I don't notice what the 6.5 Swede, Creedmore, or several others don't do.
    Or the .270 doesn't do better.
    If I'm understanding your post right youre saying you dont see what the 26 does better than the calibers you listed? In the grand scheme of things, nothing. It does have more horsepower under the hood and will make for an extremely flat shooting and deadly hunting rifle but thats it IMO. Thats enough for a large sector of the market though so it has a chance to be successful. Usually it takes a caliber being popular with the shooting community like us and being popular with hunters to gain any real prominence. Hell look how good the 6.5CM is and its just now starting to catch on with no comp shooters and its got everything working for it over the venerable 308.
    I got it. Sorry I wasn't clear. I was just pointing out that there are some people perfectly willing to re-barrel every 300 rounds. To emphasize the point that some people will spend ridiculous amounts of money on barrels, I referred to a game where people often buy 20 barrels to get 2 good enough to compete with and 3 good enough to practice with.

I can see where I created confusion. Sorry.
    To be a serious competitive shooter definitely takes a lot of money. I dont have the means both in time and money to be competitive but I still like shooting so I'm fine with still giving it a try. I want to compete in the semi local PRS matches next year and just not finish last :)

Top Bottom