• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I have a .243, .270, 25-06, & 30.06 & the .270 (to me) kicks more than any of the others.

just my .02

What about the .243 vs 25-06?

I like the charts on the 25-06 vs the .243..
    Out of the two what are the pros and cons:
    1. For hunting hog and deer
    2. Recoil (Is the 25-06 fair amount more?)

This is a rifle that will be for my wife, which is a smaller frame person, recoil will be an issue. She did fire a .243 (once) and was happy with it... Was well, I might give a try a few times...

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

This is a rifle that will be for my wife, which is a smaller frame person, recoil will be an issue. She did fire a .243 (once) and was happy with it... Was well, I might give a try a few times...

The 25-06 is my favorite.
    I have never hunted hog, but have shot several deer with both .243 & 25-06. The .243 is PLENTY for Texas deer.

Far as I can tell, the recoil is only slightly heavier with the 25-06.

If you are getting a gun for your wife, I would stick with the .243 for deer, a good neck shot will drop them flat in their tracks!
    I don't figure she will be doing any hog hunting with you will she?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

I've never shot a 25-06. I imagine it would be less than a 30-06, but the case is pretty similar. I think ammo would be more difficult to find than the .243. That isn't a problem if you reload or buy bulk online. I just wouldn't expect to find it at walmart before heading off to the range or hunting.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    The 25-06 is my favorite.
    I have never hunted hog, but have shot several deer with both .243 & 25-06. The .243 is PLENTY for Texas deer.

Far as I can tell, the recoil is only slightly heavier with the 25-06.

If you are getting a gun for your wife, I would stick with the .243 for deer, a good neck shot will drop them flat in their tracks!
    I don't figure she will be doing any hog hunting with you will she?

I have a friend of mine that's going to get me use his 25-06. I'll let her be the judge on that..

As for hog hunting, I plan that to be her first. Where I go hog hunting it's anywhere from 30 to 100 yds. Hogs are plentyful and can easily have an opportunity to have another batch of them critters come up if she were to miss. Where we have a chance to get deer is in Cotulla, Tx (Her uncle has a ranch out there). The range can be 50 to 200+ yds.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    You should not have any problem with the 25-06. The difference in recoil between it and the 243 is minute in the same weight rifle. Be sure and take that into consideration when looking at a rifle. And, you can buy 25-06 ammo just about anywhere if you dont load your own.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have a friend of mine that's going to get me use his 25-06. I'll let her be the judge on that..

As for hog hunting, I plan that to be her first. Where I go hog hunting it's anywhere from 30 to 100 yds. Hogs are plentyful and can easily have an opportunity to have another batch of them critters come up if she were to miss. Where we have a chance to get deer is in Cotulla, Tx (Her uncle has a ranch out there). The range can be 50 to 200+ yds.

Although I have no experience hog hunting, I would recomend something more than .243....a little more humane I would feel.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I know a guy that shoots pigs with a 22-250 and a 223. I would have no problem aligning the cross hairs of a 243 or a 25-06 on a pig personally. I as stated before use a 30-06 for the time being but I will get a 25-06 the first chance I get.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Although I have no experience hog hunting, I would recomend something more than .243....a little more humane I would feel.

For Hogs: With a good bullet and not to far of distance with a smaller caliber; pretty much any neck to head shot, they are DRT. Forget trying to hit the lungs or the heart. The guy that I hog hunt with, he uses Hornady's V-Max .204. But, only if he can get a clean head shot and semi-close in distance. The primary reason, to save the meat.

I'm really leaning towards the 25-06, once the wife fires my buddy's rifle and turns out that she likes it; we'll be shopping. I hoping that the 25-06 is not to much for her.

Top Bottom