• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    The echo is caused by the room. I do some audio work in my day job recording scripts. The best audio I get is recorded in a walk-in closet that’s carpeted and fairly full of clothes. All that stuff absorbs the sound reflections.

Big, open spaces reflect sound which is picked up as an the echo.
    I'm with ya, but somehow filming in a bedroom with a man, not my husband, seems...well, lets just say "odd" LOL I have tried every room in this house except the bedrooms and it's the same problem. You don't think lavaliers will help?
    Texas SOT

AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    Okay, I watched the podcast earlier. For the most part, I agree with the others about the echo. It's little distracting. Overall, it was pretty good. I know you are going to fine-tune it and find you own comfortable groove and such, and it will develop with time and getting comfortable.

Pretty good.
    You rock, thank you! I appreciate your support and thoughts!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm with ya, but somehow filming in a bedroom with a man, not my husband, seems...well, lets just say "odd" LOL I have tried every room in this house except the bedrooms and it's the same problem. You don't think lavaliers will help?

Lavs will help to a degree as an will an isolation shield for your existing mics. Before going to that expense, what software are you using for post processing? You may be able to mix out the echo.

AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    So Filmora for the video and if you listen to the podcast, the audio is much better because of the software they offer. Can you tell me more about an isolation field? I've never heard of it and it sounds like just the ticket.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So Filmora for the video and if you listen to the podcast, the audio is much better because of the software they offer.
    In filmora, look for an Audio De-noise in the audio adjustment window and see if that helps.

…Can you tell me more about an isolation field? I've never heard of it and it sounds like just the ticket.

Monoprice Microphone Isolation Shield - Black - Foldable with 3/8in Mic Threaded Mount, High Density Absorbing Foam Front and Vented Metal Back Plate Amazon product ASIN B00GR9W1MS

AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    In filmora, look for an Audio De-noise in the audio adjustment window and see if that helps.

Monoprice Microphone Isolation Shield - Black - Foldable with 3/8in Mic Threaded Mount, High Density Absorbing Foam Front and Vented Metal Back Plate Amazon product ASIN B00GR9W1MS
    NOTED! Thank you! I'll have to reconfigure how I place the mics if I get this as my cohost's mic sits on the arm of his chair but lets. see if that Audio De Noise will help! You rock! thank you again!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'll have to reconfigure how I place the mics
    The poor person's version of isolation is just picking a mic that isn't sensitive off-axis. You may have to remind your guests to keep their lips right in front of the mic but they can be a good way to reduce superfluous noise.

I think TWiT had a segment on how to select equipment for podcasting that covered this but I can't find it since they have literally thousands of hours of content on YouTube and they've covered how to set up a podcast or livestream dozens of times.

The point was that a front-firing mic (I know that's not the right terminology; sorry.) that doesn't pick up any (or much) sound from off-axis can mask a multitude of sins when it comes to excluding noise or a bad room. The downside is that if your guest turns their head, it won't pick up their speech very well, either. Everybody winds up feeling like their head is locked in a vise. That may be good or bad, depending on the style of your production.

Side note - Remember earlier Joe Rogan podcasts where he was constantly telling guests they had to keep the mic right in front of their face? That may have seemed somehow low-rent for a guy that was making so much money but it was actually pretty smart. You never heard the production staff, who were sitting just out of shot, typing away on keyboards and such.

Listen to this, starting at 3:06 and going until about 4:45 when Patrick Norton has finished his demo on how mics like that work.

Top Bottom