• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Finally went by on a day they were open and the line wasn’t 10+ people out the door.
    Exceptional meat - maybe the best I’ve had.
    BUT...
    Also the longest I’ve ever waited for BBQ
    AND...
    By FAR the most I’ve ever paid.

I’d certainly like to go back, but not sure how soon I will.

c121c1a0eb836b697161bfedd6ddf307.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    10+ out the door? That's a wait? Guessing you haven't heard of the line at Franklin bbq.

For sure...I get it. BUT... eff that. Not gonna do it. A 30 minute wait outside, plus 10-15 more inside SUCKS.

I checked the box. And if I pass by on a day they’re open and there’s no line out the door, I might stop.

To my mind this is a VERY good place to eat - BUT currently a tourist/ novelty spot for folks with lots of time to kill and a TON more money to spend.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    For the record - the pictured tray was: 1lb Sliced brisket
    1/2 lb Turkey
    3 ribs
    2 Serrano/ Oaxaca links
    1 Beef link
    ...plus two sliced beef,sausage & pulled pork samiches (to go).
    Total....wait for it
    $103

Last edited:

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    That’s kind of pricey. In that same are used to be a joint on OSR called Blue Moon BBQ near Hearn. If it’s still open I recommend it and prices are much lower. Small joint. Low overhead. Reasonable price and good Q.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    That’s kind of pricey. In that same are used to be a joint on OSR called Blue Moon BBQ near Hearn. If it’s still open I recommend it and prices are much lower. Small joint. Low overhead. Reasonable price and good Q.

Been meaning to make an excuse to try Blue Moon. Was easier when I was a full time BCS resident.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    1/2 lb Turkey
    3 ribs
    2 Serrano/ Oaxaca links
    1 Beef link
    Total....wait for it
    $103

Too rich for my blood.

I would just drive out to City Market.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    1/2 lb Turkey
    3 ribs
    2 Serrano/ Oaxaca links
    1 Beef link
    Total....wait for it
    $103
    I'm sure you misadded because I added that up and the most I can squeeze out of it about $48, toss in another $5 for 2x fountain drinks and a tip you are still less than $60, OK throw in pint of beans and slaw and call it $70.

They are about 1/3 over the already high tariffs that BBQ joints charge and few can command it for very long before the doors are shut.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    1/2 lb Turkey
    3 ribs
    2 Serrano/ Oaxaca links
    1 Beef link
    Total....wait for it
    $103

Ha. When I saw the picture I thought to myself "that's about a $75 plate of meat right there". That designer barbecue ain't cheap. I was hoping with the explosion of places lately it might bring prices down but I guess not.

I once ordered a single beef rib at one of the various BBQ food trailers we have here and it was like $30. It was fantastic, but I'm only doing that once.

As someone who used to frequent the original Franklin trailer, and have braved the brick & mortar line a couple or three times, I laughed at "the line wasn't out the door". I stopped at Truth BBQ in Brenham a few weekends ago. Waited in the line out the door for 15 minutes or so, and it barely moved. Then I realized there was a similarly long line INSIDE the door. I'm too old for this. Grabbed some chicken tenders at a Bush's (I think) drive through instead.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    ...but I'm only doing that once....
    ...Then I realized there was a similarly long line INSIDE the door. I'm too old for this.

Absolutely.... on both counts....
    Had a conversation while waiting in line “...with people waiting so long...why don’t they expand...”

Well...my two cents is that they’re pretty sure (like the rest of us) 30-45 min waits for $30 ribs and $20/lb BBQ can’t possibly last...and even if it does, the owners may not want to keep doing this - might make more sense to sell the place. Expanding or add services with the expectation of proportionally increasing business is not likely a long term winner.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Absolutely.... on both counts....
    Had a conversation while waiting in line “...with people waiting so long...why don’t they expand...”

Well...my two cents is that they’re pretty sure (like the rest of us) 30-45 min waits for $30 ribs and $20/lb BBQ can’t possibly last...and even if it does, the owners may not want to keep doing this - might make more sense to sell the place. Expanding or add services with the expectation of proportionally increasing business is not likely a long term winner.

I would imagine BBQ is a very difficult product to scale up, particularly the way these guys do it. As I understand it, they smoke their briskets for like 18 hours, so you have to have somebody there monitoring everything all night. Expansion means not only adding additional smokers it means adding additional trained people who don't sleep, which leads to quality control and consistency headaches, etc.

I heard a interview with Aaron Franklin once who basically said everybody he hires is a future competitor - they learn from him how to do it and then go open their own shop or trailer.

I don't know how places like Rudy's or Pok-e-joe's or Bill Miller's does it but I assume they cut corners somewhere along the way. Not to badmouth Rudy's because it's decent and we eat there a lot, but it's not in the same league as these designer places. I will badmouth Bill Miller's; it sucks. Pok-e-joe's is somewhere in between.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom