• Status
    Not open for further replies.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    OK, I'll plead ignorance - what is the difference between a commercial smoker and a pit?

A lot of places use a big box with natural gas for heat then a smoker generator and blows smoke into the oven.

So hopper with pellets dumps into a burner. Smoke blown into oven. Then call it bbq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    If you’re talking about the one in Giddings I’ll agree wit that. IMO the city market in Giddings is one of the top Q spots I’ve been to. The place is deep in smoke and rich in history. Good stuff. No frills just good Q. Love it.

And if you call ahead, they will set aside some Q for you. Not sure if that is only for folks coming from out of town or not.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Franklin is kind of a special case because for whatever reason it's become a "thing".
    Also, "hype" is a poor choice of words. For all of his success and attention, I must say every time I've had Franklin's, whether I got it from the trailer, store, or picked up by someone else, it's been outstanding bordering on best ever. Even the best BBQ places have consistency issues from time to time but I've never experienced that with Franklin. He delivers.

I have the same thoughts about Pecan Lodge in Dallas. Maybe the best Q I've had. The beef ribs are fantastic. But its an ass-whip to park downtown, then get there at 11am, only to be the 47th guy in line.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    While we're talking Central Texas BBQ, there's a fantastic place in Blanco called Old 300.

(does Blanco count as Central Texas?)
    Just don't get the chopped beef sandwich, threw mine out it tasted so bad, but do eat there fairly often and other than that its always been good stuff...

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    To highjack my own thread... any of you get to Laredo often? Any awesome local BBQ spots or other obligatory “must try” places?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So, that's five folks eating for just over a hundy. That's not horrible. Whachucomplain'nboutWillis?

Different strokes for different folks. The time in line is money in my business.

2M is nowhere near me. For a workday (when it’s closer), 50 mins there and back is close to a Benjamin just to get there. Then, for every six minutes in line, it’s a $10 I’m out.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    So, that's five folks eating for just over a hundy. That's not horrible. Whachucomplain'nboutWillis?

$12 for a nice big sliced beef, pulled pork and sausage sandwich was not bad at all - and certainly the way to get a deal on the equivalent of a “sampler plate”... without spending $25 - $30.

The a la carte/ per lb pricing gets pretty painful, pretty fast....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    If ya ever get out that way Blackboard BBQ in Sisterdale is top notch also.

We drove by it yesterday, but as we were on our way home from Alamo Springs Cafe (highly recommended burgers!), no one was in the mood to eat. Looked interesting though, but I am still concerned as to how expensive it is. This Texas Monthly article isn't showing the greatest of portions for $20/lb...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/black-board-bar-b-q-2018/

And their reviews on Yelp are kinda mixed...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/black-board-bar-b-q-no-title

Seeing how Boerne's Texas Meat Company most likely went under due to their inflated prices, it will be interesting to see how a place in Sisterdale will fare with the same concerns.

Baker Brothers BBQ in Gonzales has set a new standard by which I will measure BBQ in Texas. It will be tough for anyone to beat their offerings and prices, but I am willing to check out any place that is up to the challenge!

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    We drove by it yesterday, but as we were on our way home from Alamo Springs Cafe (highly recommended burgers!), no one was in the mood to eat. Looked interesting though, but I am still concerned as to how expensive it is. This Texas Monthly article isn't showing the greatest of portions for $20/lb...

Seeing how Boerne's Texas Meat Company most likely went under due to their inflated prices, it will be interesting to see how a place in Sisterdale will fare with the same concerns.

Baker Brothers BBQ in Gonzales has set a new standard by which I will measure BBQ in Texas. It will be tough for anyone to beat their offerings and prices, but I am willing to check out any place that is up to the challenge!
    Alamo Springs, WOW now there is a burger, great eating, decent prices and the folks who own it will be millionaires if not already. That said its not for everybody. This is a for real Texas burger joint. Unless they have a new cook the old one smoked as he cooked with a can for an ashtray on the cold spot on the grill. I grew up in Texas eating at joints like that and my exp is that is where you get GREAT food, GREAT prices!

Was not just inflated prices at Texas Meat Company: Food was never the same, services erratic, it was folks trying to run a eatery that really lacked the exp to do so and never seemed to learn from their mistakes, they have had several attempts and all but one has folded.

The BBQ joint in Sisterdale failed due to price/qty of food...don't go hungry or you will go hungry, if you were going there for lunch you needed to pack a lunch...

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas

Wow! You drove out here just to eat at Baker Boys? It's my local spot and they're usually pretty good. I can't remember ever getting a bad plate of bbq there.

If anyone is around the Eagle Lake area Austin's BBQ is always great. There's no seating but that never stopped me from enjoying it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom