• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Took one of the twins out fishing today (the other changed his mind last minute) and caught 3 new fish. Poor kid got skunked but still had the time of his life.

White Crappie (still fun even on a MH rod)
    50 Fucking Inch Gar
    Freshwater Drum

All on a white rooster tail. Gar got me a bit but nothing bad.

Also, Trinity River in Fort Worth is a haven for tweakers. One of which was really nice and gave my son a little crankbait and helped me get the hook out of the gar. He landed a little Sandie, notice his attire.
    1aa43509026abea3113e97514c5188f8.jpg
    3c422e4e3346a3249953bbab75ce0e26.jpg
    e560aea967bc23dc0cf922dd137557f4.jpg
    07aaabedaefb3ec168f92a58d5dd7def.jpg
    9e11dd9c02748c1de477b16a8a4a015e.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    Capitol Armory ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Nice fish. Looks like dinner.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The crappie, yeah. Gar and gasper goo. Hell No. I have never seen anybody eat gar. Except on T.V.. We never ate that prehistoric lizard with fins. Nasty dinosaur.

The gasper goo is full of ultra fine bones. Unless you make salmon patties with it using a pressure cooker to cook the fine bones. It's a $hit fish/feed for pigs and chickens.

Crappie is good eating. Need about 12 of the size in the picture to make a meal.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    The crappie, yeah. Gar and gasper goo. Hell No. I have never seen anybody eat gar. Except on T.V.. We never ate that prehistoric lizard with fins. Nasty dinosaur.

The gasper goo is full of ultra fine bones. Unless you make salmon patties with it using a pressure cooker to cook the fine bones. It's a $hit fish/feed for pigs and chickens.

Crappie is good eating. Need about 12 of the size in the picture to make a meal.

Gaspergoo has no more or less bones than a crappie, ( except for the ones in their heads.) Drum are weird, if you fillet and fry them when they are still flopping, they are surprisingly good eating, (right up there with the favored finfish.) Let one die and then fry it, and they pick up a real funky flavor.

Gar are a PITA to eat, hard to skin, gotta scrape the grisly meat with forks and make fish balls.

But the bigger concern is what part of the Trinity river the fish come out of. A gar in the mix tells me it's not any part of the Trinity I fish.
    Actually, if you are north of the 7th street bridge, those fish are on a fish ban.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Gaspergoo has no more or less bones than a crappie, ( except for the ones in their heads.) Drum are weird, if you fillet and fry them when they are still flopping, they are surprisingly good eating, (right up there with the favored finfish.) Let one die and then fry it, and they pick up a real funky flavor.

Gar are a PITA to eat, hard to skin, gotta scrape the grisly meat with forks and make fish balls.

But the bigger concern is what part of the Trinity river the fish come out of. A gar in the mix tells me it's not any part of the Trinity I fish.
    Actually, if you are north of the 7th street bridge, those fish are on a fish ban.

You're making me want to go fishing. My thing is bowfishing and I'm not going to eat gar. I can't plug a gasper goo but I can peg a carp.

Carp is as low as I'm going. Carp patties make it palatable.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth

about 10 min east, right off beach. My understanding is there are gar all over the Trinity. I know they range north in Sansom Park

Sent from my SIG Sauer

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    about 10 min east, right off beach. My understanding is there are gar all over the Trinity. I know they range north in Sansom Park

Sent from my SIG Sauer

No gar from Benbrook lake to downtown. I definitely wouldn't eat fish out of that section of the Trinity river.

There are 2 forks of the Trinity in Ft. Worth, it's when they meet that the gar start showing up.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    No gar from Benbrook lake to downtown. I definitely wouldn't eat fish out of that section of the Trinity river.

There are 2 forks of the Trinity in Ft. Worth, it's when they meet that the gar start showing up.
    Actually we used to float the trinity from Bridgeport to Boyd, and kill gar all along the way.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Actually we used to float the trinity from Bridgeport to Boyd, and kill gar all along the way.

Yeah, that's the gar ridden West fork. The Clear fork starts a little above gar free Lake Weatherford, flows through it and onto gar free Benbrook lake, then north to downtown which somewhere around there it joins the west fork, which the river then becomes flowing north and east to Dallas. The river north of downtown is pretty nasty (polution wise) and definitely under a fish consumption ban.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    any of y'all ever bank fish mustang park at Benbrook? Looking for a spot we can land bass and cat. My one boy just got his new catfish setup for his bday and wants a fight

not sure if that's the best reel for cats, but I have one in 30 and think it's tits. Pflueger President XT
    ed65c2042226e6e877eb2610dc589893.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Pflueger President is a nice real. 35 or 40 series should work just fine. I have a 25 and 30 series I use for bass.

from an idjit coffeeholic

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Pflueger President is a nice real. 35 or 40 series should work just fine. I have a 25 and 30 series I use for bass.

I got a 30 last year on a daiwa rod I love it. Let him fish it on Saturday morning to decide if he wanted one of his own. They got little 20 UL combos for their bdays last year.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have an ultalite setupbI bought at Cabelas and 2 med light matched sets I made for fishing for bass. Lots fun.

Top Bottom