3-in-1?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Wolfwood, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    i was talking with a veteran and master rifleman. ex US army.
    and ofcourse before long we where talking guns.
    well, we got to talkin' about oils solvents and that sort of thing. he was happy to hear iw as using hoppe's number nine. and i mentioned rem oil.
    well he informed me, that three-in-one oil works jsut as well, and costs alot less!
    since he has infinitely more experiance than me im inclined to believe him. but jsut for funzies i decided to see what the fine patrons of TGT have to say about the stuff?
    well? what say you?

2. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Breakfree/CLP is all I have used on my guns since the Marine Corps introduced me to it 11 years ago....

3. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Have to agree. 3-in-1 does a good job, as does Hoppe's #9.

Do us old folks a favor and use capital letters next time, so your post will be easier to read. Punctuation and spelling do count. :-)

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Text-type is the new English. Come on, old man get with the new program:banger:

No caps or all caps drives me nuts, too. I try to convince Officers there are two shift buttons and only one caps lock button - use them proportionately

5. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Shooters Choice, Hoppe's #9 & Rem-oil is what I use.:2cents:

6. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I've used 3 in one and never had any ill effects. Normally break free and rem oil.
    Maybe its time to torture test!!!!

7. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Any light weight machine oil will work fine. Some folks use Mobil 1 on their 1911s. Of course on a Dan Wesson you have to use Wesson Oil....when the gun heats up it smells like french fries.:happy0001:

8. newshooter1970

newshooter1970 Member

Feb 1, 2009
    +1 for CLP. While I am relatively new to guns, I researched a lot, tried it on mine, and would not go back to regular oil without a really good reason.

9. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Dang, there goes the diet.

Hoppes #9 is a great solvent, but I don't look to it to lubricate and protect, although there is a fair amount of kerosene in there which will do both. Now Hoppes oil is a great, general purpose oil, that will both lub and protect against rust. There are so many damn products out there today, and most are pretty good. You just need to remember to keep a light film of some sort of oil on your guns to keep them from oxidizing, and for range, a fair amount of lub (I like grease) on the rails of your auto loaders. For carry, not so much is needed, unless you figure to get in a gun fight and shoot 200 or more rounds.

10. Gutshot

Gutshot Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Justin, Texas
    I don't know if anyone here is old enough to remember but 3 in 1 is nothing more than sewing machine oil. It is light weight and contains no acids. I procured a pint can for work years ago and still have over half left. I bought a gallon of Hoppes No. 9 over 15 years ago and still have some left. And, yes I do clean and oil my weapons. I use the oil when knife sharpening also.

Gutshot