• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    1) ive seen some companies with 7.62x39 uppers for ar15s, would they decently work on 5.56 lower recievers or is it like the 308 where i just need something wholly new for that?
    2) i bought a mosin nagant this past weekend at a gun show in austin and ive heard some stuff about since it is touching the stock it doesnt make it as accurate as possible, what are some possible ways to change that? like are there other stock possibilities or anything to help?
    3)(i put this question here since its all tied together) is a tokarev tt-33 a decent handgun? im thinking about buying one for my 21st birthday in august but if its not worth the 200 dollars then id rather just go spree on some spam cans for my ar15 my sks and my mosin?

thanks in advance for any and all info
    Capitol Armory ad

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    All I can help with is #1 yes it will fit on a 5.56/.223 lower.

All then I would need is an upper and a magazine that would fit. could I use a normal ak mag for that? I have a rock river lar-15 carbine and its just something i would think about for a whole lot later on. Considering they are costing about 750 for the upper.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A normal AK mag would not work. The AR and AK retain mags differently.

As for the Mosin. You aren't going to get stupid accuracy out of the rifle. Your best bet is to leave it as is, clean the barrel well, maybe have it recrowned, and feed it good ammo. None of the mil-surp rifles from that generation were really tack drivers. They were meant to be good enough to hit a man at 400 meters.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    2) i bought a mosin nagant this past weekend at a gun show in austin and ive heard some stuff about since it is touching the stock it doesnt make it as accurate as possible, what are some possible ways to change that? like are there other stock possibilities or anything to help?

Do you have the side folding bayonet attached? If so, is that what you are talking about? I noticed on the M44 Mosin I had, the bayonet did press inward on the stock quite a bit. With it folded in, my groupings were horrible. I don't know if it was the placebo effect or what, but after I took the bayonet off, my groupings improved quite a bit. The guns are not all that accurate to begin with but, for the $60-130 they usually cost, at least they work and are simple, inexpensive, and rugged as heck.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    What model Mosin Nagant? The M44s are, IME, not going to be as accurate as the M91/30 or other rifle varients. You are also not likely to get great accuracy with miltary ball. Don't sell the rifle short without trying some of the commercial ammo out there, or learn to handload.

TT-33s are ok, but not natural pointers, IMO. I'd never say not to buy a gun that intrests you, but don't expect miracles with it.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    TT33s are fun guns. Stay with the original 7.62X25 and not the 9mm conversions. They are basic, functional, no frills guns but they are reliable and accurate enough.

I prefer the CZ52. The grip angle is closer to what I'm used to.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    A normal AK mag would not work. The AR and AK retain mags differently.

As for the Mosin. You aren't going to get stupid accuracy out of the rifle. Your best bet is to leave it as is, clean the barrel well, maybe have it recrowned, and feed it good ammo. None of the mil-surp rifles from that generation were really tack drivers. They were meant to be good enough to hit a man at 400 meters.

Do aks retain on the backside like an sks? And ars retain on the side with the side release. Ok I do not know why I couldn't have answered that one myself. By good ammo are you talking about current rounds solely or buying american made ammo? I bought about 40 rounds of brown bear sp 203 grain and I mean just to see how the kick and all and it was decent. But i guess good is quite relative and so if you have any suggestions as to "good" ammo for it, I am all ears.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    What model Mosin Nagant? The M44s are, IME, not going to be as accurate as the M91/30 or other rifle varients. You are also not likely to get great accuracy with miltary ball. Don't sell the rifle short without trying some of the commercial ammo out there, or learn to handload.

TT-33s are ok, but not natural pointers, IMO. I'd never say not to buy a gun that intrests you, but don't expect miracles with it.

I guess this is the overall question I was meaning to ask. If one wanted to try and qualify for the CHL, could one reasonable do it with this handgun? Ive heard to take the CHL test it has to be at least a .32 caliber, is that true?

Top Bottom