Military Camp

3 Speed Holster:Review (about two Months)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    [FONT=&amp]Review: 3Speed Holster (deep conceal)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I am new to guns and shooting. At 62 I went to an indoor range with an experienced friend. We spent two hours,where he drilled me on the basics of safe handling of a firearm. The hardest part being, not to call the magazine a clip ![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]That was November of 2012. Now after some professional classes and CHL class I have my carry permit and a Ruger SR40C.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Time to get a decent holster for CC. I wanted to get a system that fit my lifestyle, not to have to buy a new wardrobe to fit my CC. I am retired and live in the Gulf area of Texas. It stays hot and muggy there. I spend most of my time (90%) in drawstring shorts, the rest in jeans.
    [/FONT] DSCN4581b.jpg Black-Holster-for-website4.jpg DSCN4582a.jpg Ruger & 3speedHolster.jpg DSCN4634b.jpg [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I looked into clipless holsters (Remora & StickyHolster) and belly band types (Tactipac Fusionpac) and deep conceal holsters (Smart Carry & 3Speed Holster). the 3Speed Holster stuck out, but being somewhat pudgy in the stomach area, I had concerns over the Velcro belt system it had. Joe Roger the company owner emailed me back,explaining the strengths of his manufacturing and that the holster had a 30 daytrial with full refund if not satisfied.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]It was ordered on line and within the week I received it. The holster material was exceptional. The material is a synthetic , but looks like leather. The thickness of the holster at back plate is about 3/32". There is a built in sweat shield and the backplate has what seems to be a plastic sheet for stiffness sewn in. It was recommended that the first week should be a break in period. I wore the holster with unloaded gun around the house. And I would practice drawing it. This made the material to mold itself to the gun's form. The drawing practice helped create a "Draw Cone' on the back plate with the thumb, Though the material inside the back plate adds stiffness to the holster, your thumb creates this draw cone. The second week I started carrying it loaded (but still did dry fire practice drawing). After three weeks of constant carrying, my wife asked me "what did you do with that holster you purchased?" being home, I lifted my shirt and told her it had been everywhere with us for the last three weeks. She was amazed that she couldn't tell I had it on.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Now I needed to fine tune my carry system. In the 3 Speed video they show DEEP CONCEAL. This option is there for me Being a bit bulging in the tummy , digging a weapon from deep in the crotch area, is difficult. I opted to wear the holster at first in the 12 O'Clock position, with the gun above the belt line about 3-4 inches. This gave me a good grip, if I needed to draw weapon. I eventually shifted to the 1 O'Clock position (Appendix Style). Joe Roger at 3 Speed does answer email on his product. They do offer customization to their holster. You have a light , laser,you need a particular cant. they will work to get whatever you need done.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]One of the problems i had was when wearing the draw string shorts, the drawstrings would occasionally get tangled with my hand, or worse when re holstering get tangled with the gun. That's when I shifted to the One O'Clock position. This shift put t he drawstrings to the left of the gun. In jeans, it keeps the metal button on the jeans from scratching up my gun (I read cloth tape on inside of jean button cures this. And in the Videos Joe Roger wears his belt buckle on the side of his jeans).[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The only added wardrobe change I made, was to wear a white tank top tee shirt under the holster system. This kept the Velcro straps from rubbing onmy skin. It also helped with any sweat. The top covering for me is just a normal tee ( I normally wear a 2 or 3X). The Velcro strap is quite long and wide. You have to trim off the excess yourself when you receive it. The width of the Velcro straps is also very adequate. I was concerned that my girth,would cause the straps to curl inward. They do, but only slightly. The retention on my body is very adequate.
    The only problem I had was at the NRA Convention in Houston, TX. I volunteered for a few hours and then walked around the exhibit hall for also a few hours. It felt like the 3 Speed might have been slipping. at a restroom break, I re-tightened the belt ,maybe a little too tight. I received a slight blister on my back from that.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Since the end of March 2013, I have been wearing the 3Speed Holster system, from the time I get up in the morning. Till I go to bed at night. I find the holster very comfortable. Even when driving.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I am very pleased with the 3Speed Holster. I carry a Ruger SR40C (9+1 with pinky extension on magazine) I carry the Ruger extended magazine (15 round) in the spare magazine holder that is already built into the holster (That's was also a big selling point with me). I do not get any awkward stares when out in public, or with any of my family members (Grand Kids). It was well worth the $79.50 (with online 10%discount). If the placement area of this system doesn't have any issues with you, I do recommend the 3Speed Holster.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I give it on a scale of 1(Lowest) to 10 (Highest) :I give the 3Speed Holster a 9[/FONT]

Last edited:

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    It's the Dog Days of July here in Gulf Coast Texas. I am still wearing my 3 Speed Holster. My wife recently bought me a Sticky Holster (MD4). It holds well in drawstring shorts MOST OF THE TIME. (I need some more time wearing around the house before i commit it to the real world) I have read rave reviews on Sticky & Remora. I am not retiring my 3 Speed Holster anytime soon. The Sticky holds very well in jeans, but with that I have to carry my extended magazine in my pants pocket. The 3 Speed puts both FIREARM and SPARE MAGAZINE conveniently right in same spot.

NEW PICS OF 3SPEED HOLSTER:

DSCN4718c.jpg DSCN4719c.jpg IconDraw 2.jpg IconDraw.jpg

Sticky Holster (MD4)

DSCN4751a.jpg

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    I seem to have been experience some shifting in the Sticky Holster. It has fallen out of my shorts twice already in three days. I am begining to believe that maybe my body build is not really recommended for the Sticky Holster in a drawstring. I have no real problems when wearing jeans even with a conventional Wal Mart (NON GUNBELT) belt. Need to experiment more with it. Out in the real world it's the 3speed Holster all the way

Top Bottom