• ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Just a question about your thoughts;

How do you feel about 30.06 postings in general?

How about places that wand or metal detect everyone? Does that raise your comfort level?

Would it raise your comfort levels if there was armed vs unarmed security at the point of entry where metal detectors are in use?

How about where law enforcement is manning the entry?

As a cop, it bothered me not to enter a sterile environment unarmed, like the jail. However, I find little comfort going to a private place that uses metal detectors. I don't have faith in the competence of those doing the checks.

Before security was in place at court houses (I am aging myself) my county had a couple of district court judges who would not allow uniformed officers to be armed in the courtroom. We had to secure our handgun in the bailiff's desk. I hated that.

What say you?

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Just a question about your thoughts;

How do you feel about 30.06 postings in general?

How about places that wand or metal detect everyone? Does that raise your comfort level?

Would it raise your comfort levels if there was armed vs unarmed security at the point of entry where metal detectors are in use?

How about where law enforcement is manning the entry?

As a cop, it bothered me not to enter a sterile environment unarmed, like the jail. However, I find little comfort going to a private place that uses metal detectors. I don't have faith in the competence of those doing the checks.

Before security was in place at court houses (I am aging myself) my county had a couple of district court judges who would not allow uniformed officers to be armed in the courtroom. We had to secure our handgun in the bailiff's desk. I hated that.

What say you?

I say there are certain places where I see no explainable reason for a 30.06 sign except for the sheer fact that it is the person's right to displays such a sign...

I also have not been exposed to such situations like yourself where there were metal detectors... Where there 30.06 signs posted along with the presence of metal detectors or were these situations where 30.06 was already implied?

I could see a situation where you might be going to a party or such where it wasn't a 51% and they had metal detectors and no 30.06 I would become pretty pissed...

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    First, I want to say that I've been pleased with the quality of the posts in this area lately. Presenting questions for debate and discussion, while keeping the intercourse civil, is what this forum is all about!

I'm all for the concept of 30.06. Private property owners should have a vehicle by which they can effectively control access to their property by armed CHL holders.

Having said that, the posting of a 30.06 does not control access to the property by armed NON-CHL holders who might intend to do harm. The legislature has yet to develop a statute or sign that can accomplish this. SO... while I advocate 30.06 from a private property rights standpoint, I believe its application is frequently misguided, useless and, in some cases, presents a danger to the law abiding citizens.

There was a long running thread on another forum discussing AMC theaters. AMC has a nation-wide "no guns" policy, and a Texas-wide 30.06 policy. The thread included an article which stated that AMC theaters have enjoyed over 17 shootings and stabbings in their fine movie establishments over the past two years. This tells us that they cannot and do not provide for the safety of their patrons. On the other hand, they want to be doubly sure that their law abiding patrons are disarmed. It defies logic.

Whenever possible, I choose not to spend my hard-earned dollars at a business that posts 30.06. You'll never hear "He went to Jared's" referring to me!!!

A property owner who posts 30.06 is effectively taking moral responsibility for your safety and that of your family. They can't do that. If you have a choice, you should never relinquish the safety of your family or yourself to someone else. No one cares as much about you as you do.

The sign should read: Pursuant to Texas Penal Code Section 30.06, all law abiding citizens have been disarmed for the protection and exploitation of the armed thugs who wish to do them harm. Happy hunting!

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    The sign should read: Pursuant to Texas Penal Code Section 30.06, all law abiding citizens have been disarmed for the protection and exploitation of the armed thugs who wish to do them harm. Happy hunting!

Is that like saying there is an open season on Baptists that go to a church with 30.06 posted?

I hear what you are saying and I agree with you that this does put undo liability on the establishment bc what they are considering is that this means that there will be no guns. Rather than do this they should just serve alcohol even in the least quantity available and then it becomes a felony for the idiotic individuals who will pack regardless of a 30.06 sign...

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Rather than do this they should just serve alcohol even in the least quantity available and then it becomes a felony for the idiotic individuals who will pack regardless of a 30.06 sign...

Only true if they generate more than 51% of their revenue from the sale of ALCOHOL for on premesis consumption. And carry in a 30.06 establishment by a CHL holder will result in a loss of license for 7 years any way..... Personally I avoid all 30.06 establishments, the only places I find myself having no choice about disarming are schools, court houses and MEPS.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Only true if they generate more than 51% of their revenue from the sale of ALCOHOL for on premesis consumption. And carry in a 30.06 establishment by a CHL holder will result in a loss of license for 7 years any way..... Personally I avoid all 30.06 establishments, the only places I find myself having no choice about disarming are schools, court houses and MEPS.

I thought that the presence of alcohol for consumption 51% and less and the carrying of a firearm by a nonlicensee was an automatic felony... I was referring to nonlicense holders...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

What is your comfort level in those places you have no choice, ie, sign only, vs metal detectors, vs metal detectors with LE.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ok, lets do this on a scale of 1-10, 1 being not safe at all, 10 being totally safe. By the way, if I am unarmed, nothing is above 5.

Just a sign, 1, or even 0. Criminals don't obey the laws. That is what makes them a criminal. And, gun free zones do a great job of gathering unarmed law abiding citizens.

Metal detectors/ wands, 2. 3 if it is local LE, 0 if it is a Federal Employee, -2 if that employee outweighs me and/ or has their celphone on.

On a side note, 8 is about as high as I go. I never feel totally safe, even if I am armed. For all those people as paranoid as me, LOOK OUT, BEHIND YOU!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    When you say "comfort level" you're talking about how safe I'd feel, right? Well, when I'm out in the general public I don't really feel unsafe at all, regardless if I'm carrying or not. It depends a lot on the environment, however. I feel "less safe" on Rundberg St than I do on Wells Branch... I try to avoid 30.06 places on principle, but don't necessarily feel less safe in them unless the whole area makes me feel that way. If there is some place I don't feel safe at all, I simply don't go there ...and if I absolutely must go there, I'll take a rifle, or lots of friends, or lots of friends with rifles.

As for places with security guards and metal detectors... I actually feel less safe in them than at a gas station on the sketchy side of town. I have no faith in their security. You have to keep in mind they are there to protect their employer and not you and me.

If real law enforcement is on the scene, I feel no less or more safe than any other situation. Crazy people will start crap in front of cops just as readily as they would anyone else.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    What is your comfort level in those places you have no choice, ie, sign only, vs metal detectors, vs metal detectors with LE.

Sorry, I failed to answer your original question. I am not comfortable in any location that claims to disarm me for the protection of myself or others. In the case of visiting a school for business or personal reasons I still have at least one blade and a can of OC. 30.06 postings bother me the most, as generally speaking, the only armed response is available by 911 only, schools, federal buildings and court houses at least have armed security on site, and while I am not comfortable trusting my saftey to those that I have no knowledge of their level of training, it is better than not having anything available. I am generally uncomfortable when I am not around "my kind of people".........

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I phrased my question badly;

We all have a level of comfort carrying a handgun provides us. My question is; when you MUST disarm, how much does being unarmed make you feel less comfortable?

If you go to a place with metal detectors, do you feel more comfortable than just a place that forbids carry with no way to attempt to control that?

If the metal detectors are manned by armed security do you feel more comfortable being unarmed than you do at a place with unarmed people manning the detectors?

If the metal detectors are manned by armed LEOs do you feel more comfortable being unarmed than you would in the other two places?

IOW, does the amount of security, real or apparent, affect how you feel being unarmed?

Thanks for the replies so far.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I phrased my question badly;

We all have a level of comfort carrying a handgun provides us. My question is; when you MUST disarm, how much does being unarmed make you feel less comfortable?

If you go to a place with metal detectors, do you feel more comfortable than just a place that forbids carry with no way to attempt to control that?

If the metal detectors are manned by armed security do you feel more comfortable being unarmed than you do at a place with unarmed people manning the detectors?

If the metal detectors are manned by armed LEOs do you feel more comfortable being unarmed than you would in the other two places?

IOW, does the amount of security, real or apparent, affect how you feel being unarmed?

Thanks for the replies so far.

There are still elements of personal protection that pass through security stations. One thing that I have begun to carry as part of my less-than-lethal personal protection is a plastic bootknife... At first glance you are in fact correct I did write plastic... This is the type of plastic knife that millimeter machines were created to spot and identify through body massing and density... Here's a link to the example that I carry... I don't enjoy ditching my OC or my CCW but sometimes this happens... Heavy books, canes, etc can all be used to create distance and protection to remove yourself from a potential threat...

Cold Steel FGX Blade I Boot Knife - BUDK

I have been to a personal defense demonstration where a knife as such was used to disarm and render useless an assailant, and this is a plastic example of such that would be undetectable, but I do not have the comfort level of using such as of yet...

http://budk.com/Knives/Cold-Steel-FGX-Karambit-Knife

rosebud99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    rio grande valley- harlingen
    armed leo's at metal detectors is somewhat more comfortable than armed security...i know a majority of them are decent people trying to do a good job, but a while back there was an armed security guard arrested for being a felon in possesion of a firearm...he gave false info and they didnt check him out supposidly

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    My comfort level doesn't change from one situation to another. I'm uncomfortable when disarmed... period. We're all aware of multiple occasions where the people were being wanded, yet someone brought in a gun. I, personally, have gone into venues where I was wanded and made it though with my big Emerson knife. I've gone to concerts through VIP entrances where NO ONE was checked. So no, the security checks are just for show. Their purpose is to give the sheep a warm fuzzy.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    truthfully i dont feel safe anywhere anymore. with all the felonies ive seen personally in my life its almost impossible for one to be safe. in my apt complex i had 2 cars and a motorcycle stolen. when the criminals came back for a friends car i was the one who caught them and called the police, the criminals were all armed and had a few weapons in their get away car. when i was in highschool there was a shooting atleast once a month in or around the school. the school had its own police substantion and 14 or so police in school at all times. the way i see it, criminals and even most people are dumb. they will not follow rules no matter whoes there to stop them. i feel the need to be armed at all times and i usually am except when i go to the bar on friday. but even everyone at a bar cant avoid getting hurt in houston.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    My comfort level doesn't change from one situation to another. I'm uncomfortable when disarmed... period. We're all aware of multiple occasions where the people were being wanded, yet someone brought in a gun. I, personally, have gone into venues where I was wanded and made it though with my big Emerson knife. I've gone to concerts through VIP entrances where NO ONE was checked. So no, the security checks are just for show. Their purpose is to give the sheep a warm fuzzy.

God bless the warm fuzzies that we give the gen pop... That's like random cell searches rid prisons of shanks and weapons... RIGHT?!?!

truthfully i dont feel safe anywhere anymore. with all the felonies ive seen personally in my life its almost impossible for one to be safe. in my apt complex i had 2 cars and a motorcycle stolen. when the criminals came back for a friends car i was the one who caught them and called the police, the criminals were all armed and had a few weapons in their get away car. when i was in highschool there was a shooting atleast once a month in or around the school. the school had its own police substantion and 14 or so police in school at all times. the way i see it, criminals and even most people are dumb. they will not follow rules no matter whoes there to stop them. i feel the need to be armed at all times and i usually am except when i go to the bar on friday. but even everyone at a bar cant avoid getting hurt in houston.

The world is turning into a self-consuming ugly place... bar none there are times where we are being limited by people in the ways that we can protect ourselves... Consider this... If you go to a place such as a concert and on their website it clearly states no firearms, knives or any other type of weapon allowed... That's not technically a 30.06 sign... But then you get there and they're wanding people... you could by all rights and means get into a discussion about this and your rights with them right then and there... but the fact of the matter is they can just tell you go put it up because that's a verbal 30.06 right? The world has turned into a way to hassle it's own citizens... Fast food is no longer fast... Customer service no longer serves... Air liners no longer take to the air... The circle goes round and round til it disappears in the toilet bowl... Gun owners can't carry guns... It is starting to look like an ugly trend... The national parks was a step in the right direction though...

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    The world has turned into a way to hassle it's own citizens... Fast food is no longer fast... Customer service no longer serves... Air liners no longer take to the air... The circle goes round and round til it disappears in the toilet bowl... Gun owners can't carry guns... It is starting to look like an ugly trend... The national parks was a step in the right direction though...

NSFW... YouTube - Lethal Weapon 2,3,& 4 (Leo Getz "They **** you" with Cell Phones,At Drive-Thrus & The Hospital)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    It kind of depends. . . .
    At my current school (UTHSCSA), there are parking securty (while nice people and I'm sure they are plenty compentant to drive the golf carts and hand out parking tickets. . .) and real cops. The campus police actually impressed me a bit. A lot more professional than my undergraduate University's police. All in all, I really wish I could carry there. I have never been in a situation where I was unsafe, but I'm also male and 200 lbs. I guess I can see just how easy it would be to get past all the security.

I think I do feel a bit more "secure" inside the aiport and the courthouse (where they have metal detectors and plenty of armed cops) than the first situations. I guess I feel a lot better if there are police manning the metal detectors and have a secure premises.

Top Bottom