• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    So recently I went to the tax assessors office to discuss some stuff. They'd put up this sign since last year...
    6a7ejasu.jpg

So, in my extra time I figured I'd stir the pot a bit.

Besides emailing the elected tax assessor, and each taxing district, the sherif, and the Texas da, who else can I harass?
    Guns International

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Is than active or open court in that building?

Reason I ask, is due to having gone through a similar situation at the Midland County Assessors office myself. Though at that office no sign was posted. There just happened to be a Ranger and a Sheriff's Deputy walking by just before I entered and something just made me ask if I was "safe". A "no" was said by both in unison. The reason was an open/active court in the building was what they told me.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Is than active or open court in that building?

Reason I ask, is due to having gone through a similar situation at the Midland County Assessors office myself. Though at that office no sign was posted. There just happened to be a Ranger and a Sheriff's Deputy walking by just before I entered and something just made me ask if I was "safe". A "no" was said by both in unison. The reason was an open/active court in the building was what they told me.

Nope. The courthouse is across town.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    The same true in Midland as well. But, there was a courtroom in the building. I asked a security guy about it, and sure enough, there it was. It was around the corner, out of sight, and unmarked until you walked right up to it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I've run down this road before. Trust me- they're not going to do anything because there's no punishment for having the sign up and no one wants to be the one who has to take responsibility for scraping off the letters and letting in all the dangerous law-abiding gun owners.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Wait! So, if county bureaucrats want to legitimize their 30.06 sign, all they need do is designate a room in the bldg. as a courtroom. Not necessary to actually have court. Heck the janitor could use it for his storage facility.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    They may very well have an administrative law judge (or something like that) that comes to that "court" periodically who then rules on appeals of assessment/tax issues or even is the final arbiter of an issue decided by an appeals board that the plaintiff still disagrees with.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So recently I went to the tax assessors office to discuss some stuff. They'd put up this sign since last year...
    6a7ejasu.jpg

So, in my extra time I figured I'd stir the pot a bit.

Besides emailing the elected tax assessor, and each taxing district, the sherif, and the Texas da, who else can I harass?

There is no Texas DA. Do you mean the Nueces County DA?

The Commissioners Court would be an appropriate group to address.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Is than active or open court in that building?... The reason was an open/active court in the building was what they told me.

Nope. The courthouse is across town.

The same true in Midland as well. But, there was a courtroom in the building. I asked a security guy about it, and sure enough, there it was. It was around the corner, out of sight, and unmarked until you walked right up to it.

Wait! So, if county bureaucrats want to legitimize their 30.06 sign, all they need do is designate a room in the bldg. as a courtroom. Not necessary to actually have court. Heck the janitor could use it for his storage facility.

Don't know about that but, the room I walked into WAS an actual courtroom.

They may very well have an administrative law judge (or something like that) that comes to that "court" periodically who then rules on appeals of assessment/tax issues or even is the final arbiter of an issue decided by an appeals board that the plaintiff still disagrees with.

Negative. Court offices have NOTHING to do with 30.06 postings. NOTHING.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Negative. Court offices have NOTHING to do with 30.06 postings. NOTHING.

I have seen other government buildings with courts where one would not normally expect a court post 30.06 signs. Even though a violation would be prosecuted under penal code 46.03, I think they post the signs as a warning about the court.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I have seen other government buildings with courts where one would not normally expect a court post 30.06 signs. Even though a violation would be prosecuted under penal code 46.03, I think they post the signs as a warning about the court.

So how does one differentiate between simply improperly posted signage vs. improperly posted signage that indicates the presence of a court?

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    I'm going to be going there soon. I just printed off pics to back up my case and points. In reviewing the letter they sent in the appraisal it states there is an appraisal review board that meets in May till about July 20. Does this board qualify as being able to legally post 30.06 in regards to their "meetings"?

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    So how does one differentiate between simply improperly posted signage vs. improperly posted signage that indicates the presence of a court?

<rant> The mere act of you asking that particular question (questions naturally being asked whenever there is confusion regarding an issue) goes straight to the root of the problem, IMO.

There is little doubt in my mind, at least in this neck of the woods, that the tactics behind posting these "unlawful" signs is not necessarily because the powers-that-be do so in ignorance, but, in fact, do so to sow confusion.

Those who pointedly study human behavior for political gain, which the liberals have turned into an art form (re: Alinsky, et al), become adept at using confusion as part of their strategy. Add that to the fact that they can do so on this issue with impunity, and without penalty, makes it a cheap device, and with built-in plausible deniability. It is a fact that these signs are targeted to a specific group, the CHL holder, and any confusion on your part about that sign is arguably to their gain.

The fact that a bill that would have imposed a penalty for posting these "unlawful" signs, IIRC, was introduced (but unfortunately defeated) in the last legislative session, adds further weight to that line of reasoning.

Unfortunately, that you must have a government issued permit to exercise a Constitutional right means a CHL holder's best defense is not solely in his edc, but also in his ability to stay informed.

That said, it would be interesting to see an "exit poll" of sorts on the number of folks visiting a government building who actually see any sign posted, much less take the time to read them. We already know who does.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom